New CNN Bug, Ticker, Lower Thirds

C Block

The one thing that bothers me about CNN's graphics...

...can they just, for the love of god, make the entire presentation coherent? We have the new lower thirds, but most of the other shows use older elements, usually set in that 3D Univers style. Newsroom is the worst offender, I think.

And since they're putting the CNN logo in the red box in promos, they should do that during programming... just a nitpick.

I think CNN will get around to this issue eventually. If their

and new "
" promos are any indication, this could finally mark the end of CNN's fanaticism with 3D swooshing graphics. Time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They also still use a flipper instead of a ticker, though it's in the same style as CNN US' ticker. CNNI almost always restricts the flipper to recorded shows and breaking news, so it has so far only been on once today I believe.

Why is the hot thing to be "flat" now? First it was iOS7, then Android 4.3 jumped on the "flat" bandwagon, then Windows 8, etc. I don't understand it, I feel like it's a step backwards!

I don't like this at all. The old font says "This is CNN" way more than this one.

I feel like it's to try and make people focus less on aesthetics and more on the content, especially given viewer complaints over the past several years that news (among other things) has become too flashy, too fancy and too pretty. It's all about the looks rather than the content. People would complain that the graphics are distracting and taking away from the content, so it would appear that the shift nowayears is to minimize the graphics (of anything really) as much as possible for a cleaner, simpler, easier-to-look-at, look...unless you're Fox News...then they just get flashier and flashier.

Archived