New CNN Bug, Ticker, Lower Thirds

C Block

Definitely not the best circumstances, but the new graphics are getting a workout with the death of Robin Williams, and I have to say, all of the different elements are starting to work together... nobody likes change, but this is clearly a beneficial upgrade... Just because you don't like the flat look doesn't mean it isnt a step forward, as it's the way everything is moving. The ticker especially is a nice upgrade. The old ones were really showing their age and getting stale, and the new ones are no more "generic" or "bland" than the old ones, which was based on a blue box. CNN will make these their own, just as they did with the old ones.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely not the best circumstances, but the new graphics are getting a workout with the death of Robin Williams, and I have to say, all of the different elements are starting to work together... nobody likes change, but this is clearly a beneficial upgrade... Just because you don't like the flat look doesn't mean it isnt a step forward, as it's the way everything is moving. The ticker especially is a nice upgrade. The old ones were really showing their age and getting stale, and the new ones are no more "generic" or "bland" than the old ones, which was based on a blue box. CNN will make these their own, just as they did with the old ones.

Actually, it's a step forward to looking like a news channel like "the rest of the world". I thought powerpoint like graphics were shunned, I guess another forum used to pick on that. Or maybe it was originally from the YouTube comments area, my memory is fuzzy now.

While I wish they could/would play with coloring depending on the show, my main beef is the size. If the L3s were vertically shortened by like 10%, I'd be satisfied with the new look.

I have to agree on the size of the L3's: they take up way too much of the screen.

when did this occur? Makes no sense as CNN is well known to be based in Atlanta and other programming in their other studios .

Is the studio lights out forever? Do I have to thank Jeffery Zucker for this?

The studio lights are not out forever (the specific studio in question is still active for background shots from NYC, apparently,) and CNN Center is still very much active: CNN International, CNN En Espanol, CNN's online services, and many of CNN's other off-camera operations still originate, in part or in full, from Atlanta.

Of course, CNN is very much an Atlanta institution, and to see Jeff Zucker and the bozos at Time Warner mess around with it is a travesty. It's part of the reason why I watch CNN International as opposed to CNN Domestic: much of the programming originates from Atlanta (even if they never mention the city by name). We have enough NYC/DC-based news/"news" outlets: all of the alphabet networks, Al Jazeera, and the various U.S. news bureaus for the international agencies.

the first thing that came to mind was WPIX's new graphics:http://nynewsweathercoverage.wordpress.com/2014/04/23/live-shot-png/

the orange band on the left which connects to the "developing story" looks identical to the red band that CNN is using.

EXACTLY what came to my mind. And living in New York, it looks like a cross between WCBS (with the gotham font) and WPIX, with a red theme to it.

(Oh, and one more little nugget: no CNN Domestic programs originate from Atlanta anymore. It's not the end for CNN Center, as CNN International, CNN En Espanol, and various other CNN newsgathering organizations still use the building.)

Not necessarily. To get around the unions, the production for CNN Newsroom still comes out of the Atlanta control room. They beam the feed from the studio cameras via satellite from New York to Atlanta and do all the switching for the program out of there. So the anchor might be in New York but technically it's still coming out of Atlanta.

My source is FTVLive.com: http://ftvlive.com/todays-news/2013/12/5/zucker-wants-cnnhln-talent-ny-based

As for why I don't like the graphics: it's not because they're flat. It's because of Gotham. I used to like the font but it's so damn overused now it's basically the next Arial, except it costs you $400 to get it. If they used another font that's hardly used, like Effa (the Hearst font), then maybe I would like them more. DIN and Gotham are the two most overused modern broadcast fonts. They're not bad fonts, just used WAY too much.

Actually, it's a step forward to looking like a news channel like "the rest of the world". I thought powerpoint like graphics were shunned, I guess another forum used to pick on that. Or maybe it was originally from the YouTube comments area, my memory is fuzzy now.

While we're still at PowerPoint...

cnn.png?w=700

This was entirely made in 15 minutes.

While I find the new graphics really good, the downside to them because they don't have the customization depending on the program, like the last package. The three-colors-thing is kinda dull to me. But I like the movement of them and the clean and clear they are.

Guest NewsHound

I never thought the blue look fit CNN, because CNN has always been known to use that black, white, red color scheme. It takes the best of the simple 2007? look and the most recent one. I'm glad the red, white, black color scheme is back, though I would use black lower thirds with white text. Make the ticker white with black text, and the CNN bug should have a black background, and the old light animation that used to move through the logo. I think it would be nearly perfect then.

Guest NewsHound

All domestic programming (New Day, CNN (U.S.) Newsroom, The Situation Room, AC360, etc.) now originates from either New York or Washington.

Now, a few days back, CNN Newsroom was broadcast from New York but they used a video shot of the CNN Center studios, making it appear as if the program was broadcast from Atlanta.

I read somewhere recently that within the year or into next year HLN will be moving to the old Studio 7 space where CNN used to originate in Atlanta.

The current HLN studio and set dates back at least 10 years. To tell you how old the set is, Morning Express with Robin Meade was still Robin & Company, and CNN Headline News had a ticker. It aged fairly well with updates here and there, but it's time they got something new.

So the relatively-new Devlin set won't be vacant for long if rumors are true, HLN will most likely make use of the existing set with a few modifications.

What happens with the existing HLN space? Who knows.

Why is the hot thing to be "flat" now? First it was iOS7, then Android 4.3 jumped on the "flat" bandwagon, then Windows 8, etc. I don't understand it, I feel like it's a step backwards!

I don't like this at all. The old font says "This is CNN" way more than this one.

Flat graphics are usually simple, and simple broadcast design, based on just a few colors and plenty of white space, tends to be far more elegant and sophisticated than 3D-based design elements, which can look tacky and needlessly cluttered.

Simplicity seems to be fashionable these days, and I would argue that's a good thing.

Flat graphics are usually simple, and simple broadcast design, based on just a few colors and plenty of white space, tends to be far more elegant and sophisticated than 3D-based design elements, which can look tacky and needlessly cluttered.

Simplicity seems to be fashionable these days, and I would argue that's a good thing.

I tend to disagree. I like some sexiness into the graphics. The train of flat graphics had past, but apparently it backtracked, which is an utter shame.

I love elaboirative graphics, that can have some detail, and some in your face, aggressive, gotta do things before the sky falls. Of course I do not like WPVI or ESPN's graphics. The latter one its like people are trying out for Pixar. I know their package changed, but not sure if it still has that 3D space ship.

and also, if someone doesn't have the skills to make graphics, then its not graphics to me. Sorry if that made me come off as a snob. People should be able to exploit their gifts without insulting others. (if someone can use a cloud app to recreate the CNN package, then there is something wrong with that picture.)

People and society in general are being held back by being PC and "being fair" to not use graphics that offends people who do not like a small amount of eye-candy or people who aren't artsy and feel bad.

Just my .02

and also, if someone doesn't have the skills to make graphics, then its not graphics to me. Sorry if that made me come off as a snob. People should be able to exploit their gifts without insulting others. (if someone can use a cloud app to recreate the CNN package, then there is something wrong with that picture.)

But look at art and architecture -- sometimes it's the simplest designs that are the most effective. It often takes more creative talent to come up with something simple that actually works than something detailed and elaborate that quickly ends up looking tacky and inelegant.

But look at art and architecture -- sometimes it's the simplest designs that are the most effective. It often takes more creative talent to come up with something simple that actually works than something detailed and elaborate that quickly ends up looking tacky and inelegant.

and guess what? the most simplest retarded designs are the most ugliest. Can I say the brutlist/60s era?

sorry, but I'm not a simple guy when it comes to design, I'm simple in other things. I'm also careful to not use that word as simple is synonymous to retardation.

and guess what? the most simplest retarded designs are the most ugliest. Can I say the brutlist/60s era?

sorry, but I'm not a simple guy when it comes to design, I'm simple in other things. I'm also careful to not use that word as simple is synonymous to retardation.

In the history of the visual arts, simplicity has often been embraced by those who were ahead of their time -- quite the opposite of being backward (or "retarded" as you put it).

When it comes to design, there's a reason why Saul Bass, for instance, is still widely revered today. His designs were deceptively simple, but it took a creative master to come up with them.

EDIT: HERE's another example of simplicity being way ahead of its time.

It's only on when they're live (hence the bug)... this is how it was with the old package too...

Not always. It used to be that the live bug would only show up when the pictures or video were live. About a week after Zucker came in, the live bug was changed to what it is now - always on during a live broadcast, whether or not the current pictures are actually live.

The one thing that bothers me about CNN's graphics...

...can they just, for the love of god, make the entire presentation coherent? We have the new lower thirds, but most of the other shows use older elements, usually set in that 3D Univers style. Newsroom is the worst offender, I think.

And since they're putting the CNN logo in the red box in promos, they should do that during programming... just a nitpick.

Archived