RIP Don Pardo

Jess

(...Only time I've watched in the last couple of years was when Jim Parsons hosted because I'm a huge Big Bang Theory fan and wanted to see how he'd do on there, but I digress...)

Man, did you pick a BAAAAAAD episode to watch.

I know I'm late (been busy all week.) I'm sorry for his loss. He's ill replaceable. No one should mimic his voice (maybe in parody, but not in the SNL opens.) He touched many generations, different interests (news, entertainment) I could go on, its sad. May he rest in peace.

• 4 weeks later...

Darrell Hammond is offically taking over as SNL announcer.

Not shocking at all considering he has "filled in" for Don Pardo a half dozen or so times over the last decade and a half. And, for those wondering Darrell will not continue the Pardo impersonation. They are creating a new SNL intro and Darrell will will use a new voice that pays homage to Pardo but isn't a direct impersonation.

I like the comments on NBC's website saying that he should do the intro in a different voice each week...Connery, Trump, even straight-up Pardo.

It's an interesting idea. But, if you're trying to do a different voice each week I think you'd likely run out after awhile.

Lorne Michaels wants Pardo's legacy to standalone stating in the New York Times that "he had the greatest run and he’s a completely beloved figure. So I thought: Don’t turn this into something else. That period ended.” And, Darrell Hammond has said that the Pardo impersonation was hard on his vocal cords. Hammond stated in an interview with grantland.com "His voice is so powerful it really wore my cords out. I remember seeing him the following week and I remember saying, I don’t ever want to do that again because I almost blew my cords out, and I don’t want you to think that there’s anyone like you or a way to replace you.”

Therefore, I think given the some of the comments that have come out that Hammond will likely be preforming in his own voice with toned down "shades of Don Pardo" as a tribute.

Also, Lorne Michaels told the Washington Post "Hammond may be able to assist with other aspects of “SNL,” given that he knows it so well: “And it will be nice to have Darrell around. He understands the show and will probably be helpful in ways we haven’t yet figured out.”

FYI - The Hollywood Reporter has a cool piece up with video of Hammond's second "fill-in" stint (S24E11) coupled with the YouTube video of Pardo discussing the events and complimenting Hammond's performance. For those interested Hammond's first "fill-in" stint was in 1996 (S21E14) and he "filled in" a few times in Season 38 as well most notably the Kevin Hart episode (S38E15)

Archived