KSAT SA Live

sanewsguy

So KSAT launched their new show today, SA Live. It's supposed to be different than what any other station is doing in regards to lifestyle programming. It's done from a local museum/saloon and not at the KSAT building (lack of studio space if I'm correct and it also differentiates them from the competition). The format is fast paced, lively and involves the viewers. Although the target demo is women the show is designed to be viewed by all, unlike the other lifestyle shows which are clearly geared toward women. They do a lot of giveaways and little games in the show to keep the flow moving. It rivals a lot of network programming to be honest. KSAT did a great job with the show. Creative Services producing the show may help. (I think at the other stations, the show is technically a separate department but collaborates with sales).

The hosts are Fiona Gorostiza and Jeff Roper. Gorostiza is a huge get for them. She has a great personality and on-air camera presence and as someone said, she could carry the show on her own if need be. Roper on the other hand can take some getting used to. He has a thick southern accent which distracts from the message he's trying to say. Sounds great as a country DJ, but not so much as a TV host. I hope once Michael Valdes' noncompete expires, KSAT picks him up and replaces Roper with him. But the flow of the show is great.

Gorostiza seems to have quite the following in the DFW area, as her social media feeds are inundated with viewers from Dallas who miss her and want to know how they can stream the show.

KSAT has a lot of pull in the area (their newscast is awful but they're number one because of loyalty and force of habit. Most of SA's dials are literally rusted on 12). So they were able to get the street in front of the Buckhorn closed during the show so they could have a high school marching band help ring in the show.

The show does feature paid/sponsored segments just like the other lifestyle shows. But they're more subtle and seamlessly integrated into the show. To put it in simple terms, the show does not come across as an infomercial like the other stations do. It's more like product placement. It's actually watchable and something I'd look forward to watching if there's nothing better on TV (most times there isn't lol).

KSAT has promoted the crap out of the show and this morning, they went in to KSAT's morning news. http://www.ksat.com/content/pns/ksat/news/2014/09/08/sa-live-crew-crashes-gmsa-ahead-of-debut.html Despite what Mark and Leslie say, they didn't actually appear on SA Live. Bummer. That would've been fun.

The one thing that bothers me is that they use a time and temp bug on the show. Why? I don't know. Doesn't really make any sense to use a time and temp bug on a lifestyle program.

KENS decided to go up against SA Live during their 9AM Great Day SA show, by doing it at Main Event Entertainment, which is a gameroom like Dave and Busters. But that was sponsored because they aired the disclaimers. The show was passed off as their birthday special...

Finally, the only other Graham station to do a local lifestyle show is WDIV, with "Live In The D". Have no idea if it is anything remotely close to the out of the box SA Live format...

The one thing that bothers me is that they use a time and temp bug on the show. Why? I don't know. Doesn't really make any sense to use a time and temp bug on a lifestyle program.

Sounds interesting, I'm surprised there isn't one around here.

As to the time and temperature bug, maybe the feel as if will serve as a reminder to viewers that the show is live.

Archived