WHBF New Set (and Music+Graphics?) Coming Soon

NewsMaster

I guess I'm the only one here who thinks that new set looks absolutely terrible? It's hideous actually. Busy, messy, and nothing there makes sense. It's almost like they took single elements from every design possible in the history of set design and crammed them into one place with no regard on how they work together (or in this case DON'T work together). I get the feeling the designer threw up and decided to make a set out of it.

That's what I thought... It looks kind of like they bought spare parts for different FX Group sets and made their own creation like it was a bunch of LEGO. The wood panels all seem to be different colors and in that photo of the home base areas, the bottom blue panel on the right seems to be shiny and reflective while the panel in the same place on the left appears matte.

The set does look a little sloppy in some areas. It could use some touch ups. But overall, it's a very nice set. Kind of dissapointed that they chose Signature. I was hoping they would go for Canvas or something. SAM needs to make a new package.

I guess I'm the only one here who thinks that new set looks absolutely terrible? It's hideous actually. Busy, messy, and nothing there makes sense. It's almost like they took single elements from every design possible in the history of set design and crammed them into one place with no regard on how they work together (or in this case DON'T work together). I get the feeling the designer threw up and decided to make a set out of it.

No, quite far from the only one. I agree with everything you said. Plus, the desks look like they're from a game show set.

It's a bit like when you have a "news set" on a TV show, designed by set builders who are good at building office sets and apartment sets, but have no clue how to realistically portray a news set.

I know. Signature and Local 4 You is not going to bring ratings up. They should call themselves Local 4 News. Local 4 YOU would work good for an image campaign.

I live in this market. They are called Local 4 News. Local 4 You is, in fact, their image campaign. Their news opener says "WHBF is Local 4 You. You're watching Local 4 News at (time)". Reporters tag out Local 4 News.

Do you like what Nexstar did with them? Can you record a WHBF newscast? (Maybe the evening newscast on Monday)

I most definitely like what Nexstar has done with them. This station had been notorious for an outdated, cheap look. It's nice to see some money going into the equipment and a polished look. I feel the station has the tools to be competitive now. It took what seemed like forever, but I think they did things the right way.

• 2 weeks later...

WHBF debuted their new look over a week ago and while I don't have much problems with the set, I think it was really low of them to replace the existing co-anchors without any explaination. I know a lot of people who were dissappointed over this same thing, and I already know of some who already don't care for the new anchors. All I can tell them is Nexstar must know what they're doing. Yeah right. LOL

I started watching WHBF after they went HD in 2010. I stuck up for the underdog and gave credit where credit was due. While their previous set was nothing like this one, they looked much better than every before. They were beganning to add news casts, started 24-hour broadcasting, etc. They were seriously trying ot fight their way back to competing with WQAD and KWQC.

But than I heard Nexstar was taking them over. For one thing, Nexstar is synonomous with turnover as seen with WMBD since 1999. And I don't care for the way they are allowing WMBD to rot while they continue to make unnessary changes to their other stations. I'm doing what I can to expose them, but I doubt it will do any good. I am now worried they will dump WMBD during the upcoming spectrum incintive auction. I despise Nexstar for their treatment of WMBD, the CBS station I grew up with. And that's why I think I may quit watching WHBF. I just don't want to help their ratings at all. But WHBF is certainly going to be tempting.

And one last thing, I know their weather computer is the same (WSI Max) as the previous one, but I prefer the looks of the previous graphics package over the new, cookie-cutter Nexstar look. For one thing, The 10-day forcast bars were organized in an upside-down "v" pattern. The Nexstar arrangement is just ordinary. Furthermore, I can't, for the life of me, figure out why Nexstar wants to make all their stations look exactly the same. I would think that Nexstar & Sinclair would not want to draw much attention to the fact they won a certain station. LOL As I said, Nexstar is synonomous with turnover.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, it is official. As of Noon tomorrow, WMBD, our Nexstar CBS affiliate, will be first HD newscast in Peoria, when they also debut their new set. They are very late, but it's better late than never and I'm pretty excited about it.

WEEK, our NBC affiliate, made the halfway conversion to digital widescreen (480p) in 2011. And not only do they falsely claim to have had this capability for over a decade, but they have also made it sound as if they have no plans to upgrade their newscasts all the way to HD 1080i anytime soon. WEEK under Granite ownership has been a joke. I swear they have no idea how to properly run a station, and everything abou them screams lazy. I have since lost hope of the FCC approving Granite's sell of WEEK to Quincy. 5 months have passed since the deal was re-written. The deal should have closed in 3 months. And as long as WEEK remains with Granite, there will be no change.

And unless Sinclair re-starts a newscast at our ABC affiliate, WHOI, WMBD will probably remain the area's only HD newscast indefinately.

But it's better now that we now have 1 in HD, and WMBD is no longer in 4:3. I've been a fan of WMBD over the competition ever since I was in high school. WHOI was getting to be a close second before WEEK took them over and ruined them. Kudos to WMBD for finally moving into the 20th century!

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/centralillinoisfirsthdnewscast?source=feed_text&story_id=1075770839105787

Huh. That set actually looks pretty nice. It's also weird to be in 2015 and see a television station in its market be the FIRST to go HD.

LOL I know right? The fact that Peoria was either the largest or second-largest tv market left without a single HD news station (unverified sources say a Boise station went HD a few months ago) was quite an aggravation. I do like their new set. It looks a lot like the WHBF set, but it appears they evolved the look some and did away with some of the strange things that people didn't like about the WHBF set.

I believe the reason why it took Peoria so long had to do with a perfect storm of corporate greed.

First, you have Nexstar, who was usually late in doing things anyway. But why they waited until the very end to upgrade WMBD is beyond me. I imagine it has to do with the fact they had no competiion to speak of. But at least they did and there's no hard feeling there.

And there's Granite Broadcasting, who, to date, has only upgraded ONE of their news operations to HD. And that's the one they turned into their Indiana Central Hub. And I believe all the other HD capabilities pass through that station's equippment to all the other stations in the hub, meaning minimal or no upgrades to each station surrounding the hub. It was a short cut and they don't always operate very smoothly either. There's 2 other Granite stations that broadcast HD newscasts, but one was already converted before they bought it and the other was farmed out to somebody else. The remainder all broadcast in widescreen SD. Granite is up to their eyeballs in debt and is trying to sell out of their remaining stations, and mostely because of stupid decisions. Nearly half of their stations have been sold already to a few different owners, but the FCC is holding up the ones that are supposed to go to Quincy Newspapers. I appreciate the fact they have no money to spend on anything, but they should have left the market sooner instead of continuing to cut their stations to the bone. And also, I don't know why they have such an attitude and an inclination to lie about things. They unsucessfully tried to farm out the weekend weather position, and they wanted to farm out more news jobs. Nearly all their controls and techs are at the Ft. Wayne hub, 200 miles away. The only upgrade they have made locally in 5 years is an upgrade to Accu Weather's cinema live HD. Though an improvement over their Galileo, no number #1 NBC ratings powerhouse would even consider Accu Weather anymore, but they proudly boast it! Severe weather coverage doens't even compare to WMBD's new WSI Max system. Accu's dopplar is simply lacking.

WHOI has long been owned by media companies that start out strong, but fall upon hard times and eventually go under. They were practically rotting until Benedek bought them out in the mid-1990's and they began looking better before Benedek crashed, resulting in cutbacks. Barrington Broadcasting, their owner before Sinclair, built them up stronger than ever, but only to give up their entire newscast to WEEK before they went under. WEEK management had been wanting this for a long time. Though WEEK did bring them to digital widescreen, they reduced them to inferiority on everything else. For one, they exchanged their new $125,000 WSI weather graphics system for their old crappy Accu Weather Galileo, which was WEEK's old system. That old dinosaur is still being used on WHOI today, despite WEEK's manager saying they would be upgraded WHOI to Cenema Live by the end of 2013, another lie!

We also have 2 more commercial stations, WAOE, a MyNetwork Station, which was also ran by WEEK until the contract expired in December. And WYZZ, which is our Fox Affiliate and is ran by WMBD. Once WEEK's ownerhsip changes, Sinclair will terminate the WEEK/WHOI shared services agreement, and I'm hoping that means the rebirth of the WHOI news operation, but that's a big maybe.

I don't think WTVP, our PBS affiliate, will ever venture into news, but I would not expect them to. They do produce a lot of other local content and they are excellent at it. Having had an HD trasmitter and a full HD studio since 2002, they were the first PBS affiliate in downstate Illinois to do so.

The WMBD set does look really nice and hopefully, they start going to the top thanks to these upgrades. As for WEEK/WHOI/WAOE, I watched one of their newscasts one day and I thought I was watching something out of Eureka, CA or Glendive, MT rather than Peoria. I want to know what's holding up the FCC because Quincy amended it to where Malara will technically continue and the other non-Malara SSAs would be terminated.

Well, it is official. As of Noon tomorrow, WMBD, our Nexstar CBS affiliate, will be first HD newscast in Peoria, when they also debut their new set. They are very late, but it's better late than never and I'm pretty excited about it.

WEEK, our NBC affiliate, made the halfway conversion to digital widescreen (480p) in 2011. And not only do they falsely claim to have had this capability for over a decade, but they have also made it sound as if they have no plans to upgrade their newscasts all the way to HD 1080i anytime soon. WEEK under Granite ownership has been a joke. I swear they have no idea how to properly run a station, and everything abou them screams lazy. I have since lost hope of the FCC approving Granite's sell of WEEK to Quincy. 5 months have passed since the deal was re-written. The deal should have closed in 3 months. And as long as WEEK remains with Granite, there will be no change.

And unless Sinclair re-starts a newscast at our ABC affiliate, WHOI, WMBD will probably remain the area's only HD newscast indefinately.

But it's better now that we now have 1 in HD, and WMBD is no longer in 4:3. I've been a fan of WMBD over the competition ever since I was in high school. WHOI was getting to be a close second before WEEK took them over and ruined them. Kudos to WMBD for finally moving into the 20th century!

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/centralillinoisfirsthdnewscast?source=feed_text&story_id=1075770839105787

#ItsAboutTime

Couldn't have said it better myself. WMBD actually looks pretty nice now.

It's your turn now WEEK.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think this guy got the aspect ratio correct, but you can see a fraction of the set.

A news open (I love how the anchor tosses her hair)

Facebook photo

https://www.facebook.com/WMBDNews/photos/a.272290966120449.87157.215261438490069/1076654969017374/?type=1&theater

My dad grew up in Peoria, and my grandparents and aunt and uncle used to live close to the station itself. I've passed it many times since the 1980s. And now one of my former co-workers is the ND there.

Archived