WHBF New Set (and Music+Graphics?) Coming Soon

NewsMaster

• 1 month later...

Unbelievable! This is why I hate Nexstar. They have decided to update WHBF, which just got a full upgrade 2 years ago, while they're leaving WMBD to continue broadcasting in 4:3 480i.

Not only is the current WHBF set fairly new, there's nothing wrong with it. If I can think of anything, it may be a little on the plain side, but it is still very sharp. The blue almost glows, and I know a couple people who think it is one of the sharpest sets around. But I guess it's a priority of Nexstar to blow money demolish a 2-year set so WHBF can have that unified, homogenized Nexstar look rather than to upgrade WMBD so they can at broadcast local stuff in HD, or Widescreen 480p at the very least. I sure hope this isn't Nexstar preparing to install a regional hub at WHBF.

Nexstar is certianly not the best, but I've seen them do fiarly good things to many of their stations surrounding WMBD. So why do they continue to keep neglecting the WMBD/WYZZ duopoly? I can't think of any other station that still broadcasts local programing in 4:3 format. I can't get any answers anywhere. So I assume that Nexstar is planning ot eventually hub their newscast out to either WHBF or WCIA.

WMBD did get a new weather graphics system a couple of weeks ago, but it is the only change at the satation. When most stations go HD, they usually won't debut new weather graphics before they are ready to go HD and also have the new set ready. That said, I can't see WMBD going HD for another couple of years. It's so frustrating because I have no idea what Nexstar has planned for them. Thay have received several complaints in recent years, yet they wil not respond to a single one of them. And they will only continue to ignore the people they "serve". A lot of other conrners are being cut at WMBD as well.

I have a faint glimmer of hope that Sinclair will breathe life back into WHOI. And when WEEK is finally free from Granite Broadcasting, the better the Peoria area will be. But the FCC is really dragging that out and it's getting tiresome. WEEK may broadcast in digital widescreen, but everything else about the station is a joke. A #1 station in a market this size should not be trying to farm out as much of their opperations as possible, using Accu WX graphics and a set from 1996.

Unbelievable! This is why I hate Nexstar. They have decided to update WHBF, which just got a full upgrade 2 years ago, while they're leaving WMBD to continue broadcasting in 4:3 480i.

Not only is the current WHBF set fairly new, there's nothing wrong with it. If I can think of anything, it may be a little on the plain side, but it is still very sharp. The blue almost glows, and I know a couple people who think it is one of the sharpest sets around. But I guess it's a priority of Nexstar to blow money demolish a 2-year set so WHBF can have that unified, homogenized Nexstar look rather than to upgrade WMBD so they can at broadcast local stuff in HD, or Widescreen 480p at the very least. I sure hope this isn't Nexstar preparing to install a regional hub at WHBF.

Nexstar is certianly not the best, but I've seen them do fiarly good things to many of their stations surrounding WMBD. So why do they continue to keep neglecting the WMBD/WYZZ duopoly? I can't think of any other station that still broadcasts local programing in 4:3 format. I can't get any answers anywhere. So I assume that Nexstar is planning ot eventually hub their newscast out to either WHBF or WCIA.

WMBD did get a new weather graphics system a couple of weeks ago, but it is the only change at the satation. When most stations go HD, they usually won't debut new weather graphics before they are ready to go HD and also have the new set ready. That said, I can't see WMBD going HD for another couple of years. It's so frustrating because I have no idea what Nexstar has planned for them. Thay have received several complaints in recent years, yet they wil not respond to a single one of them. And they will only continue to ignore the people they "serve". A lot of other conrners are being cut at WMBD as well.

I have a faint glimmer of hope that Sinclair will breathe life back into WHOI. And when WEEK is finally free from Granite Broadcasting, the better the Peoria area will be. But the FCC is really dragging that out and it's getting tiresome. WEEK may broadcast in digital widescreen, but everything else about the station is a joke. A #1 station in a market this size should not be trying to farm out as much of their opperations as possible, using Accu WX graphics and a set from 1996.

WTAJ changed to the WBRE weather graphics and rebranded from StormTracker to Your Weather Authority about a year before they went HD. WTAJ actually ended up not even using the WBRE package, but instead using the WROC package.

• 4 weeks later...

It sounds a little hopefull, though it sounds almost too good to be true for WMBD. But they could finally be responding in anticiaption of major changes at WEEK or WHOI following ownerhsip changeover. They would be smart to beat WEEK & WHOI by starting the upgrading process now instead of waiting until getting absolute proof that one of the others have started the process. The problem with Peoria stations is they seem to drag their feet in a standoff to see who blinks first.

Also, I watched WHBF in SD for the first time over the weekend. The person has HD cable, but had no idea where the HD channels are. The set doesn't pop near is good in SD as it does in HD. So now, I can certianly understand why Nexstar wants to change it. It's too bad though because it's the nicest set WHBF has had in decades, and looks very slick in HD. I'm sure it wasn't cheap.

Odds of the WHBF set being rebuilt at WMBD or another red headed Nexstar stepchild like KAMR, KMID, WDHN, or WIVT?

Seriously, I don't get how certain stations fall through the cracks. Not just Nexstar but Hearst's sub-Top 50 markets, Hubbard with KAAL/WHEC, Meredith with WNEM/WSHM, et Al.

Odds of the WHBF set being rebuilt at WMBD or another red headed Nexstar stepchild like KAMR, KMID, WDHN, WIVT or KSVI?

Seriously, I don't get how certain stations fall through the cracks. Not just Nexstar but Hearst's sub-Top 50 markets, Hubbard with KAAL/WHEC, Meredith with WNEM/WSHM, et Al.

WHEC just got new graphics and KAAL is moving to a new studio in Rochester soon. I think that WSHM is getting a refresh soon as well, now that they are sister stations with WGGB.

Since Nexstar just completed its purchase of Grant, I would not expect any relaunches at WHBF until KLJB ends its news share agreement with KWQC and WHBF fully takes over. The same goes for WOI and KCWI if the lawsuit does not go Pappas' way.

Not only is the current WHBF set fairly new, there's nothing wrong with it. If I can think of anything, it may be a little on the plain side, but it is still very sharp. The blue almost glows, and I know a couple people who think it is one of the sharpest sets around. But I guess it's a priority of Nexstar to blow money demolish a 2-year set so WHBF can have that unified, homogenized Nexstar look rather than to upgrade WMBD so they can at broadcast local stuff in HD, or Widescreen 480p at the very least. I sure hope this isn't Nexstar preparing to install a regional hub at WHBF..

That's the problem with the set - it's too plain the only branding that appears is on the desk and weather center. They could have place a duratrans in the back. I'd venture to say the set is the "bargain basement" of set design / costs. Maybe they have more money now and can venture into a bigger upgrade.

KSVI... I don't know how they're still without a news department, given the potential. Given today's Nexstar, it's downright baffling.

KSVI doesn't have news because the economics aren't there.

KTVQ fairly rules the market. Between them and KULR-8 there isn't enough advertising to go around to support a third news department in Billings.

It should be noted, they did try a news department at some point. It also doesn't help that their primary signal doesn't even cover the whole of Billings. Parts of the city rely on a translator for coverage.

To be honest I don't see how Cowles (the former Max Media stations) is making a go of a third news department in Missoula. But I guess spreading it across two markets (Butte-Bozeman) helps.

That's the problem with the set - it's too plain the only branding that appears is on the desk and weather center. They could have place a duratrans in the back. I'd venture to say the set is the "bargain basement" of set design / costs. Maybe they have more money now and can venture into a bigger upgrade.

Well that's Citadel for you. They're actually better off under Nexstar now.

KSVI doesn't have news because the economics aren't there.

KTVQ fairly rules the market. Between them and KULR-8 there isn't enough advertising to go around to support a third news department in Billings.

It should be noted, they did try a news department at some point. It also doesn't help that their primary signal doesn't even cover the whole of Billings. Parts of the city rely on a translator for coverage.

To be honest I don't see how Cowles (the former Max Media stations) is making a go of a third news department in Missoula. But I guess spreading it across two markets (Butte-Bozeman) helps.

KSVI/KHMT suffered the same thing KDNL did, a tough market with viewers set in their ways and unwilling to change from what they normally watched combined with an owner that didn't want to put any money into making it competitive.

Having a duopoly might help give KSVI/KHMT an advantage over KULR and KTVQ, it seems to be the reason why Cowles is giving ABC/Fox Montana a shot.

It is my fervant hope that Peoria regains WHOI as a third news competitor if/when the FCC FINALLY gives Quincy Newpapers the green light to take over WEEK from Granite Broadcasting.

Sinclair, new owners of WHOI, announced that they would terminate the shared services agreement beween WEEK & WHOI within 9 months of the ownership change over. And since WYZZ was spun off to Cunningham Broadcasting, a shell company of Sinclair, It is my assumption that a state-of-the-art studio will be built at one of the locations hence forming a WHOI/WYZZ duopoly, which I could live with. Until this happens, I forsee no changes in the Peoria market. Nexstar knows they don't have to do much when their ownly other competitor in this market is ran even worse. Despite WEEK being our ratings powerhouse, Granite decided to oursource most controls to their central hub in Ft. Wayne, and they also tried to oursourse weekend weather, but that was stopped, luckily. They are also using an 18 y/o news set as well as Accu Wx for their graphics. What a joke.

WMBD & WEEK are the only NBC and CBS affiliates left in the state of Illinois without HD newscasts. They should be very proud of themselves. With WEEK, I understand that Granite is on their way out. But for Nexstar & WMBD, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I know of several people who don't watch them simply because they're still broadcasting in 4:3. They were the best-peforming Peoria station hands-down during the 1990's, but once Nexstar bought them, I saw them totally ruin the station. And it hurts to see them continue to destroy them.

I've heard it said that WMBD is a sinking ship. People claim that the Peoria area is so bad off there's no advertising dollars left, even though there's only 2 competitors left. I've even been attacked by people online who claim I have no idea what I'm talking about. But I look at Quincy, which is much smaller than Peoria and I see 2 thriving stations, and I look at Rockford, which is still a smaller DMA than Peoria, and they still have 3 competiting stations, which have each made investements, even their Nexstar station. It's lack of competition and corperate greed that have left the Peoria DMA in it's current state.

I can agree the sets probably didn't coast Citadel much. But for a company who ran all of it's stations as bare as they did, I have to give them credit for upgrading every single last one of their stations before selling. It was totally day & night. WHBF's ratings were MUCH lower than WMBD, even lower than WHOI. Yet Barrington took the easy way out and gave WEEK their newscasts to ruin. So I wonder how Citadel found the money to turn every single one of their stations around, yet the Peoria area can't find any money whatsoever to invest in either one of it's 2 stations? I'n not buying it. I have to call it corporate greed. And even though WHBF may be better off under Nexstar, would Nexstar have bothered to uprade their facility to HD this quickly?

Quincy's request to buy WEEK went to the FCC in February of last year and they are still dragging their feet. I heard they re-filed a couple of weeks ago because there were some things the FCC didn't like. That's just great. I hate to have to wait another year to see change in Peoria. If the deal doesn't go through, than the WHOI/WEEK contract will expire in 2017. I don't want to wait that long. LOL

I should also mention that WEEK's contract with WAOE expires at the end of this year. It doesn't make sense to see that one expire since WAOE is not a top-3 station and WEEK is going to loose WHOI, unless WMBD is going to take it over.

But either way, there's no rhyme or reason for Nexstar to be jacking with WMBD like they are. I depsise the company for that reason, and the fact they ignore everybody who complains. They need to realize the viewers are the ones who make them. Hopefully not. Hopefully they are working on it right now, to get there while the compeition is still awaiting their fate. But there's just no signs of anything goign on and WMBD at all. And owning 2 CBS affiliates in adjascent markets, I'm afraid they are strongly considering farming their news out. Here in Peoria, they always take the easy route and greed seems to reign.

WHBF may have a plain set, but their graphics are excellent and don't need changed. Try watching WMBD in 4:3 on a 65" LED tv. It looks horrible. Their new weather graphics can't be fully appreciated in 480i. WMBD needs attention before WHBF does. I think another big problem is Nexstar is becoming so big they have forgotten some of the stations they own. Bigger is not always better. And yet they keep sucking more more and more stations evewhere else they can.

I don't know if anybody noticed, but I got a little angry writing all of this. I am a little passionate about it. I've watched local news since I was a kid & it hurts to see how greed has laid waste to the Peoria market. If there is really is financially impossible, than I would deal with it. But doing this to cut corners and compeition, no.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I hope none of you thought I was biting your heads off. I wasn't mad at anybody on here, or what any of you said. I just get aggravated because I see all these Nexstar stations debuting HD newscasts while WMBD continues to broadcast in 4:3. I guess I'm just loosing patience. It wouldn't be so bad if Peoria had at least one station that did. But it is certain that none of WMBD's competitors will as long as Granite Broadcasting remains in charge of the others.

• 2 months later...

Signature by Stephen Arnold

SIGNATURE??? Wow. That's shocking. I thought for sure it would be CBS Local. I could have also seen them using Aerial, Inergy, This Is The Place or Overture, but definitely not Signature.

And here's proof that WHBF is indeed using Signature: http://www.ourquadcities.com/story/d/story/local-mayors-concerned-about-proposed-reduction-in/27453/ylBDsuHcAkSHFM1z1M6k8w

Maybe Nexstar wanted WHBF to have a somewhat similar look to WCIA, who also uses Signature. I like the package, but I think it's a little dated. I wonder if Sean King is still the VO or if he was replaced. He was replaced at WOI with Charlie Van Dyke.

I guess I'm the only one here who thinks that new set looks absolutely terrible? It's hideous actually. Busy, messy, and nothing there makes sense. It's almost like they took single elements from every design possible in the history of set design and crammed them into one place with no regard on how they work together (or in this case DON'T work together). I get the feeling the designer threw up and decided to make a set out of it.

Archived