Griffin Communications to Buy KSBI, Create Oklahoma City Duopoly

mvcg66b3r

Griffin Communications has announced it has reached an agreement to buy MyNetworkTV station KSBI from Family Broadcasting, LLC.

Griffin owns the Oklahoma City and Tulsa CBS affiliates KWTV and KOTV, along with Tulsa CW affiliate KQCW. The station group said the newest addition will help Griffin expand to Central and Western Oklahoma by creating a duopoly with KWTV.

[Griffin Communications CEO David] Griffin added, “One of the many things we are excited about is that our viewers will not miss regular CBS and syndicated programming when we are in severe weather or continuous news coverage on News 9, because we will be able to move this programming over to KSBI.”

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/griffin-communications-to-buy-ksbi-create-oklahoma-city-duopoly_b130139

Last week, KSBI canceled two of its local shows and laid off nearly all of its staff.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/ksbi-cancelling-oklahoma-live-and-wild-card_b129669

BTW, KWTV and KSBI share a transmitter tower with other OKC stations.

http://www.rabbitears.info/tower.php?request=site&asrn=1045226

Could 52.1 and 52.2 become 9.3 and 9.4?

What I meant was that Griffin could possibly do what is done in Minneapolis with KTCA/KTCI, KSTP/KSTC and KMSP/WFTC.

The stations' digital channels are multiplexed:

KTCA-DT 2.1 tpt 2 Main KTCA-TV programming / PBS

KTCA-DT 2.2

KTCI-DT 23.7 tpt MN Minnesota Channel

KTCI-DT 2.3 tptLife Main KTCI-TV programming / PBS

KTCA-DT 2.4 tpt Wx Weather radar and NWS audio KEC65

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Cities_Public_Television#Digital_channels

The digital signal of KSTP contains one subchannel, while that of KSTC contains five. Through the use of virtual channels, KSTC's subchannels are associated with channel 5.

5.1 KSTPDT1 Main KSTP-TV programming / ABC

5.2 KSTCDT1 Main KSTC-TV programming

5.3 KSTCDT3 Me-TV

5.4 KSTCDT2 Antenna TV

5.6 KSTCDT4 This TV

5.7 KSTPDT2 Live Well Network

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KSTP-TV#Digital_channels

The digital signal of KMSP contains two subchannels, while that of WFTC contains three. Through the use of virtual channels, WFTC's subchannels are associated with channel 9.

9.1 KMSP-HD Simulcast of KMSP-TV / Fox

9.2 WFTC-HD Main WFTC programming / MyNetworkTV

9.3 Movies! Movies!

9.4 BOUNCE Bounce TV

9.9 KMSP-HD Main KMSP-TV programming / Fox

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KMSP-TV#Digital_channels

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/griffin-communications-to-buy-ksbi-create-oklahoma-city-duopoly_b130139

Last week, KSBI canceled two of its local shows and laid off nearly all of its staff.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/ksbi-cancelling-oklahoma-live-and-wild-card_b129669

BTW, KWTV and KSBI share a transmitter tower with other OKC stations.

http://www.rabbitears.info/tower.php?request=site&asrn=1045226

This has "failing station waiver" written all over it. KSBI's syndicated lineup is pretty weak. But, with Sinclair and Tribune in town to take all the A- and B-grade off-net programs, the only thing I can see Griffin doing is add more news, including a morning show.

This has "failing station waiver" written all over it. KSBI's syndicated lineup is pretty weak. But, with Sinclair and Tribune in town to take all the A- and B-grade off-net programs, the only thing I can see Griffin doing is add more news, including a morning show.

Griffin doesn't need a failing station waiver. KSBI is not in the Top 4, and the market will still have nine unique owners once the sale is completed.

KOTV in Tulsa simulcasts their morning newscast on the CW station, then continues on with it after KOTV goes to CBS News This Morning. They also do a 9PM newscast (to compete with KOKI - FOX). I'd imagine KWTV would do the same.

Don't forget about Hearst. KOCO has quite a few A- and B-grade syndies, too (although the "A" shows are mainly the ones leading into the 5 p.m. news.

Griffin doesn't need a failing station waiver. KSBI is not in the Top 4, and the market will still have nine unique owners once the sale is completed.

I see, I wasn't sure how many unique FPTV owners there were in the Oklahoma City market. The KWTV-KSBI duo will be the fourth duopoly in the market, with Tribune owning KFOR-KAUT, Sinclair owning KOKH-KOCB and Tyler Media (which like Griffin, is locally based) owning KUOK (a Univision affiliate based in Woodward, which has repeaters in Oklahoma City) and KTUZ (a Telemundo affiliate, which simulcasts KTUZ on a subchannel).

The thing is, if KWTV does add morning and primetime newscasts on KSBI, it'll probably chip at KOKH and KAUT's KFOR-produced morning show in the ratings for sure if KSBI can grab a share of the audience. Unless something's changed, KOKH and KAUT's newscasts are beaten in the 7-9 a.m. and 9 p.m. slots by at least two of the three network program offerings on KFOR, KOCO and KWTV, with KAUT placing far behind KOKH.

KOTV in Tulsa simulcasts their morning newscast on the CW station, then continues on with it after KOTV goes to CBS News This Morning. They also do a 9PM newscast (to compete with KOKI - FOX). I'd imagine KWTV would do the same.

KWTV used to follow KOTV's and WWL's lead in preempting The Early Show in its entirety to air a four-hour morning show before CBS mandated all affiliates to show the full two hours. I'd imagine they'd want to have that back.

KWTV used to follow KOTV's and WWL's lead in preempting The Early Show in its entirety to air a four-hour morning show before CBS mandated all affiliates to show the full two hours. I'd imagine they'd want to have that back.

The way I remember it, KWTV actually ran a three-hour morning newscast from 5 to 8 a.m. with select segments from "The Early Show" interspersed during the 7 a.m. hour until CBS required its affiliates clear the entire show. "Early" then ran in its entirety during the 8 a.m. hour.

Griffin's purchase of KSBI, though, will probably result in "CBS This Morning Saturday" and the second half of "Face the Nation" being moved to KSBI, a la the situation with WISH/WNDY (for the time being) and WWL/WUPL (in the case of the weekday "This Morning" broadcasts as well as half of "FTN"). Right now, KWTV carries those two (with the the first half of "Face the Nation" being simulcast from the main channel) on News 9 Now its news rebroadcast channel on 9.2, which requires OTA or Cox to receive.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

An update: it appears that Griffin moved quickly in taking over KSBI's operations... but the switchover was rough to say the least.

On December 1 at midnight, KSBI switched to a pre-recorded feed of the station's regular schedule, which ran for five days (this was acknowledged in a ticker that appeared almost persistently on-screen during that timeframe)! Essentially, it was the same exact episodes of every show on the station's normal schedule that aired each weekday on November 20 and 21 and from November 24 to November 26 (which was more glaring given that KSBI carries "Access Hollywood" (as well as "AH Live" and "OK!TV," so you basically saw the same stories that aired days before).

In addition, KSBI dropped its 52.2 subchannel, effectively leaving This TV without an Oklahoma City affiliate. Tribune still hasn't announced when the ex-Local TV stations or KCPQ-KZJO would add This TV yet, though KAUT would seem the likely candidate (to me, at least) for an affiliation.

KSBI resumed normal programming at 4 a.m. on December 6, with basically the same schedule minus "Dog Talk" and late-night reruns of "Wild Card". "Extra" and "The Insider," which KWTV still airs weeknights after "The Late Late Show," replaced "The Cosby Show" at 4 p.m. weekdays (which was to be expected given Bill Cosby's sex assault scandal and the Griffin sale). KSBI also added reruns of "Comedy.TV" (another carryover from KWTV), "Comics Unleashed," "Mr. Box Office" and "The First Family" (all three of which had aired on KSBI in the recent past). "CBS This Morning Saturday" and the full hour of "Face the Nation" still air on KWTV 9.2 for the moment.

Besides the master control transition not being seamless, what happened when KSMO debuted in the '80s pretty much repeated itself (minus the slide orientation errors and vertical line during the ads), in that only a limited number of commercials aired during program breaks, the majority of which were KWTV news promos (in fact, there were instances where only KWTV promos aired during certain breaks) as well as only four business ads (one for a clothing store, one for Blue Cross-Blue Shield, one for a local burger joint and one for a wig store). They have since added more commercials, but there are still no promos for KSBI's MyNetworkTV and syndicated programming, nor is there a logo bug (which KWTV does have) shown during programming other than one used as a top-of-the-hour ID. So, there isn't really any promotion for KSBI at the moment, either on the station itself or on KWTV.

Archived