The Feder Forum

24994J

This is mainly for the Chicago readers. As we all know, Robert Feder's daily blog produced under the Tribune has gone behind a paywall. I was able to just upgrade my current subscription for pennies a day, so I took the plunge. I'm not sure what the unsubscribed readers see on his page now, so I'm making up this thread to keep you all posted on some of his upcoming articles. However, I'm not going to go into incredible detail as to potentially cause trouble with the folks at the Trib, or Mr. Feder himself.

(10/07/14) He did, though, begin under the paywall with a doozy. Roe Conn, a 25-year vet of WLS-AM, and co-host Richard Roeper were fired after their Tuesday afternoon shift on the Big 89. Low ratings (due to excessive commercial and weather/traffic interuptions) and very high salaries are contributing to the decision to end their program, a few months before their contracts were to expire. Roe appeared on ABC 7's 'Windy City Live' this morning to announce that they were off the air for good, unable to properly say goodbye. Both Conn and Roeper will continue in their roles on 'WCL'. Roeper will likely stay away from radio, focusing on his television, internet and print duties. Rumors are already circulating that Conn might make his way down the dial to WGN Radio, but that's pure speculation at this point. ABC 7's Ron Magers is also done with the talk station, but the news and traffic anchors will remain in the time slot. The hosts' replacement was announced, but unconfirmed.

(10/08/14) Chicago radio legend Steve Dahl will succeed R&R on November 3rd. Steve recently made headlines for going on a long rant picking apart the medium that made him a star on his home-produced podcast (which he will continue). He was especially critical of the recent moves and decisions by WGN-AM...and downright rude to their personnel.

I was considering putting this in the ABC7 thread, but this is probably more relevant here.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2014/10/14/with-roe-roeper-gone-radio-turns-off-ron-magers/

Rob had an interview with Ron Magers, whose radio career effectively ended when Roe & Roeper was canceled. Ron says that the men's dismissal was in the works for awhile, and there was a discussion as to who would "take custody" of Magers. Steve Dahl did offer Ron a spot on his show, but Ron admitted that he's at a point in his career where he's looking for reasons to cut back. He also hinted that he's not aiming to break any age records on television, planning to retire within a few years.

Can we go back to posting new threads with subject lines instead of dumping everything into one gigantic thread? I thought that was the whole point of a message board with different subjects.

It's more efficient to have fewer threads, just come by a little more often and you won't lose track. Having a new thread because an anchor stubbed their toe or somebody made a new graphic would be a waste of bandwidth.

Really important things still get a thread of their own. The city forums all seem to have station threads.

• 2 weeks later...

It's more efficient to have fewer threads, just come by a little more often and you won't lose track. Having a new thread because an anchor stubbed their toe or somebody made a new graphic would be a waste of bandwidth.

Really important things still get a thread of their own. The city forums all seem to have station threads.

It's a game of figuring out what's "Thread Worthy" and what's not. The original official "Station threads" were created in the NYC board because people would hijack other threads or create their own for trivial stuff like "WABC has a new camera shot. Does this mean a new graphics package is on the way?????" or "Sue Simmons Sneezed at 6:14PM". Over time, more unofficial threads started popping up. I sometimes worry that I'll come on to see the entire site reduced to two threads: "Sinclair Thread" and "Not Sinclair Thread".

There will be some guidelines and suggestions for the "dump everything here" threads in the Big Update that I'm working on ("Coming Eventually!"). I do not want to ban them outright, because I feel we'd just end up with a billion "Minor technical glitch strikes local station" threads.

It's a game of figuring out what's "Thread Worthy" and what's not. The original official "Station threads" were created in the NYC board because people would hijack other threads or create their own for trivial stuff like "WABC has a new camera shot. Does this mean a new graphics package is on the way?????" or "Sue Simmons Sneezed at 6:14PM". Over time, more unofficial threads started popping up. I sometimes worry that I'll come on to see the entire site reduced to two threads: "Sinclair Thread" and "Not Sinclair Thread".

There will be some guidelines and suggestions for the "dump everything here" threads in the Big Update that I'm working on ("Coming Eventually!"). I do not want to ban them outright, because I feel we'd just end up with a billion "Minor technical glitch strikes local station" threads.

I suggest this: if something is "trivial" that is newsworthy (i.e. reported by a blogger or writer), it deserves its own thread.

If a talent came back on the air after a significant medical condition, post it. Recent example, I posted a thread about WCVB's Phil Lipof who had a near death reaction to antibiotics, who was off the air for almost a month or so.

If Sue Simmons sneezed at 6:14, then have it in it's station's thread.

If someone dropped an f-bomb at a station which we have a thread on, and its viral, put it in the stations thread.

If the same thing happened outside the Big 4, and its viral, it gets it's own thread.

A profile of an anchor, a prominent anchor (like Boston's Jack Williams) departing or passing, it gets its own thread

Does this make sense for some structure?

Archived