KPRC's Anthony Yanez heading to KNBC

WXmanTim

Houston media blogger Mike Mcguff reports Yanez will be the Noon and 5pm meteorologist at the NBC-owned station starting January 21.

http://www.mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2014/10/kprc-2s-anthony-yanez-heading-to-knbc-la.html?m=1

Find the schedule to be interesting. He gets the full weekday schedule instead of the split weekday/weekend schedule Byron Miranda was working. Also Fritz who has been the weathercaster for the 5 pm newscast for years is moved off of that show and focuses on the 6 & 11 pm. Sucks for Elita who goes from the split weekday/weekend schedule to just the weekends. But it could be a plus for Elita who just recently or is about to have her 2nd baby and should be returning from mat leave about a month before Anthony joins the station.

Find the schedule to be interesting. He gets the full weekday schedule instead of the split weekday/weekend schedule Byron Miranda was working. Also Fritz who has been the weathercaster for the 5 pm newscast for years is moved off of that show and focuses on the 6 & 11 pm. Sucks for Elita who goes from the split weekday/weekend schedule to just the weekends. But it could be a plus for Elita who just recently or is about to have her 2nd baby and should be returning from mat leave about a month before Anthony joins the station.

Have they filled Byron's slot yet? I find this move interesting, but it does set up a succession plan for when Fritz decides to retire.

Have they filled Byron's slot yet? I find this move interesting, but it does set up a succession plan for when Fritz decides to retire.

No but from watching KNBC lately seems they are having Carl Bell do that shift, in addition to Elita's shift (since she's out on leave) The way I see it Carl could be the weekend evening meteorologist and Elita being the weekend morning meteorologist.

why will he be off the air for 2 months, is just so he can move or is it a no-compete thing?

His last day at KPRC is January 15th, and his first day at KNBC is January 21st. So he will be at KPRC for a couple more months before joining KNBC a week later.

Is that speculation, or has it been mentioned he may retire? He's been with Channel 4 since mid 80s right?

Speculation on my part. Granted that Fritz is 66, and even though he doesn't seem or act old, it's better to have a contingency plan for when he decides to call it quits. For all we know, he could stick around at KNBC for another 10 years...

His last day at KPRC is January 15th, and his first day at KNBC is January 21st. So he will be at KPRC for a couple more months before joining KNBC a week later.

Ok, that's interesting an announcement like that be done in advance, even by a couple of months.

Speculation on my part. Granted that Fritz is 66, and even though he doesn't seem or act old, it's better to have a contingency plan for when he decides to call it quits. For all we know, he could stick around at KNBC for another 10 years...

You're right - Fritz don't look like he's 66. If anything, he could stay at the station in some part, maybe weekends as the time goes by.

I find it amazing he only has five days off to move and get started in his new home. I'm assuming that the 21 won't be his first day on air rather it will be his adjustment / training period.

I find it amazing he only has five days off to move and get started in his new home. I'm assuming that the 21 won't be his first day on air rather it will be his adjustment / training period.

Eh look at Byron Miranda he left KNBC basically the end of September and was on air at WMAQ like a couple weeks later so it pretty much all depends.

Eh look at Byron Miranda he left KNBC basically the end of September and was on air at WMAQ like a couple weeks later so it pretty much all depends.

Yes but a couple of weeks later is different than five days, also I assume Byron could have had some days off / vacation time saved up since he was transferring in company. I'd imagine he'd ship his items before hand so they will be there when he arrives. But if he drives two of the five days will be spent leaving three days to get settled.

Yes but a couple of weeks later is different than five days, also I assume Byron could have had some days off / vacation time saved up since he was transferring in company. I'd imagine he'd ship his items before hand so they will be there when he arrives. But if he drives two of the five days will be spent leaving three days to get settled.

He could be flying to LA. That's what Daniella did when she moved from Chicago to LA earlier this year.

• 1 month later...

Looks like KNBC has added two meteorologists to it's lineup. David Biggar who was most recently at Sacramento NBC affiliate KCRA & Shanna Mendiola who was most recently at Denver FOX station KDVR which ironically is the same station Crystal was at before she joined The Weather Channel (before she moved back home to join KNBC).

I wonder if this means anything for Elita. Six meteorologists/forecasters seems a bit much for Los Angeles.

Three meteorologists/forecasters will be used weekdays and two on the weekends. So that could mean that Elita is the odd (wo)man out...

Three meteorologists/forecasters will be used weekdays and two on the weekends. So that could mean that Elita is the odd (wo)man out...

It would seem as those Carl would be getting pushed out too. You have Crystal (weekday mornings), Anthony (weekdays at noon; weeknights at 5), Fritz (weeknights at 6 & 11), David (weekend evenings?) Shanna (weekend mornings?) I haven't found anything about David & Shanna joining KNBC, but their twitter handles lead me to believe that they are since typically when your permanent there you have the twitter handle @yournamenbcla, and if your a freelancer you would just have a generic handle ie @yournametv etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What does this have to do with Anthony Yanez?

Does it matter? I was simply stating that he's no longer with the station chill out. And if you haven't noticed KNBC has hired 3 meteorologists since Elita has been out on maternity leave. Shanna Mendiola (weekend evenings), David Biggar (weekend mornings) & Anthony Yanez (noon & 5 pm) Crystal Egger does weekday mornings and Fritz Coleman will do weeknights at 6 & 11. So that really doesn't leave anyplace to put Elita or Carl. They basically kept Carl around until they found permanent replacements, and surprised Elita lasted as long as she did after getting bumped off the weekday shift. I wouldn't be surprised if Elita doesn't even return to the station. And reading her facebook page alot of people are asking her when is she returning and hmm she's hasn't replied to a single one of those posts, but replies when people write about her baby or wished her happy holidays etc.

Archived