CW stations suddenly in demand

The Frog

KCWI is reportedly going to Nexstar. Could WBNX be next?

I have a story out Oct. 27 on the various CW stations that are freestanding, as in, don’t have a duopoly partner in the market. There are not many of them, and the number is shrinking in this era of consolidation and all-important duopolies. Gray Television picked up WQCW earlier this year, for instance, and paired it up with WSAZ.

Wouldn’t you know it, just as I was finishing up my story, Nexstar went and acquired KASW Phoenix for $68 million; the station had been acquired, along with KTVK, by Meredith from Gannett in June, which then lined up Sagamore Hill to hold the license. Meredith’s initial deal was for $230 million.

Nexstar is not done yet. Sources tell me KCWI in Des Moines, another CW, is going to Nexstar as well. Perry Sook, Nexstar president and CEO, would not confirm, but said he hoped to do so “very soon.” That would mean another standalone CW station. Titan Broadcast, which operates some Pappas stations, would not confirm either.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/blog/station-station/cw-stations-suddenly-demand/135103

Unless the Ernest Angley empire comes crumbling apart either by itself or by way of the Feds, WBNX will most likely stay put, and if it's dismantled, it could be a duopoly partner of either WKYC or WEWS. Tribune could be the most likely suitor, but they're almost maxed out nationally.

Another station from the "Cold Dead Hands" category is WCCB. They're holding their own as a CW station and keeping things status quo with the loss of their FOX affiliation to WJZY.

Nexstar already has a station in the Des Moines market though (WOI, although it is a distant third place station), and I think it is too small for a legal duopoly?

KCWI is already in an Duopoly (with KDMI), it would be WOI replacing KDMI as duopoly partner which would still meet the eight independent owners.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived