Gray purchasing KMVT/KSVT

The Frog

I can't find it at the moment, but I remember reading that the reason Journal bought WFTX was indeed because they saw Fort Myers as a growth market.

Speaking of small groups, it's another one of those Katamari Damacy ball-type stations (Family Group Broadcasting --> Wabash Valley Broadcasting --> Emmis --> Journal --> Scripps)

WBBH/WZVN was the nation's first virtual duopoly between two Big Three stations. That's how strong WINK is.

Being the only station on VHF was a big factor in WINK's strong presence in the market I think. Both WBBH and WZVN were on UHF.

As far as WFTX, Journal bought them when Ft. Myers was one of the fastest growing markets in the country, right before the real estate bubble burst. It's doing much better now and will probably work out for Scripps which can use it to compliment their stations in Tampa and West Palm.

Archived