Gannett to spin-off by this summer

mardek1995

All I can say is that there's no way KUSA (Denver) & WUSA (Washington DC) are going to change call letters.

How do you know if KUSA and WUSA are changing their call letters? And if they are in fact going to change their call letters, then they'll also have to change or update their logos to accommodate for that.

How do you know if KUSA and WUSA are changing their call letters? And if they are in fact going to change their call letters, then they'll also have to change or update their logos to accommodate for that.

Stations do not change call letters just for the sake of changing call letters. There is a lot that goes into changing call letters, beside just updating logos. The time and expense to go through such motions makes it a non-starter for most. Not to mention that the average Joe does not associate WUSA/KUSA with USA Today the newspaper unless it is made obvious.

Stations do not change call letters just for the sake of changing call letters. There is a lot that goes into changing call letters, beside just updating logos. The time and expense to go through such motions makes it a non-starter for most. Not to mention that the average Joe does not associate WUSA/KUSA with USA Today the newspaper unless it is made obvious.

And alot of call letters out there have historical value. For example... WCSH 6 = Congress Square Hotel, the station's first studios. Or WWL 4 = World Wide Loyola (University; founder and former owner). Or others that were just assigned at random by the FCC, like KDKA 2, WBZ 4 and KYW 3 (all taken from sister radio stations that were assigned the call letters).

First, I'm not sure why this warranted another thread. We already had a thread started way back in August discussing the Gannett spinoff but, I digress. Maybe Weeters could merge them at some point so everything is in one place.

Anyway, take this with a grain of salt but, if what I suspect is the new name for the broadcasting side you are all way off. I heard a rumor (third hand) about the proposed new name for the broadcast side being quite "different" among other things. After hearing this nugget I eventualy did some quick research. And, was able to, for me at least substantiate most of what I heard. If the rumor and my suspicions are true I don't see anyone guessing this name. Heck, I'm not sure how (or why) they might have come up with (or, chosen) said name. The name (if true) really makes zero sense to me.

With all that said it is entirely possible that they change course and use something else. But, based on SEC filings and public comments to date the publishing spinoff will take on/inherit the "Gannett Co., Inc." name (not "Gannett Publishing", etc.) and the "GCI" ticker symbol. Likewise, what is left of the "current" Gannett Co., Inc. (ie: broadcasting & digital assets) will be renamed. That would lead one to believe for now at least that the broadcasting/digital side will likely receive a totally new name. Again there is still time for them to do a complete 180. So, IDK what to think at this point.

First, I'm not sure why this warranted another thread. We already had a thread started way back in August discussing the Gannett spinoff but, I digress. Maybe Weeters could merge them at some point so everything is in one place.

Anyway, take this with a grain of salt but, if what I suspect is the new name for the broadcasting side you are all way off. I heard a rumor (third hand) about the proposed new name for the broadcast side being quite "different" among other things. After hearing this nugget I eventualy did some quick research. And, was able to, for me at least substantiate most of what I heard. If the rumor and my suspicions are true I don't see anyone guessing this name. Heck, I'm not sure how (or why) they might have come up with (or, chosen) said name. The name (if true) really makes zero sense to me.

With all that said it is entirely possible that they change course and use something else. But, based on SEC filings and public comments to date the publishing spinoff will take on/inherit the "Gannett Co., Inc." name (not "Gannett Publishing", etc.) and "GCI" ticker symbol. Likewise, what is left of the "current" Gannett Co., Inc. (ie: broadcasting & digital assets) will be renamed. That would lead one to believe for now at least that the broadcasting/digital side will likely receive a totally new name. Again there is still time for them to do a complete 180. So, IDK what to think at this point.

I saw those SEC Filings. I'm curious to hear your rumor. I too put a bit of belief in the notion that they will go left field and name the company something strange. But, on the bright side -- we'd get an all new tagline and end-credit package for the stations.

And I'd have to change my tagline here too.

I saw those SEC Filings. I'm curious to hear your rumor. I too put a bit of belief in the notion that they will go left field and name the company something strange. But, on the bright side -- we'd get an all new tagline and end-credit package for the stations.

And I'd have to change my tagline here too.

Ok, I made it to my laptop so, I'll try to elaborate.

After hearing the previously mentioned (third hand) rumblings regarding a possible new name I decided to do just a bit of digging and see if I could turn anything up. My first stop was the US Trademark and Patent website. So, I search for any new filings made by Gannett Co., Inc. and low and behold stumble across a trademark filing made in late February that seems to fit the bill with the little bit I heard. The name is most certainly "different" and the trademark filing for the name is made in all the categories Gannett's current businesses operate in minus newspapers (ie: broadcasting and digital.) The timing also seems to be a little more than coincidental. For Example, News Corporation settled on the "21st Century Fox" name and made the trademark filing(s) two months prior to their spinoff. Likewise, Journal Communications, Inc. filed for the "Journal Media Group" trademark a month prior to the merger being announced. And, looking over their filings it doesn't appear (to me at least) that Gannett "squats" on trademarks by making a bunch of filings but, then not use them. So, all this seems to provide some legitimacy in my mind.

So, without further ado I give you Gannett's trademark filing for the name...Tegna.

Yeah, I know it's a head scratcher. And, in the words of the gentleman in my avatar..."That's a terrible name." I'm not totally sure what the heck it's supposed to mean (or translate to.) Now, again take all this with a grain of salt. They could go in another direction, this could be only used for one of their operations or, not at all. But, the fact that that made this filing (and, it's the only filing...so far) coupled with what I heard (and what's been said) is a little telling. So, IDK what to think. But, take it all as you wish.

Ok, I made it to my laptop so, I'll try to elaborate.

After hearing the previously mentioned (third hand) rumblings regarding a possible new name I decided to do just a bit of digging and see if I could turn anything up. My first stop was the US Trademark and Patent website. So, I search for any new filings made by Gannett Co., Inc. and low and behold stumble across a trademark filing made in late February that seems to fit the bill with the little bit I heard. The name is most certainly "different" and the trademark filing for the name is made in all the categories Gannett's current businesses operate in minus newspapers (ie: broadcasting and digital.) The timing also seems to be a little more than coincidental. For Example, News Corporation settled on the "21st Century Fox" name and made the trademark filing(s) two months prior to their spinoff. Likewise, Journal Communications, Inc. filed for the "Journal Media Group" trademark a month prior to the merger being announced. And, looking over their filings it doesn't appear (to me at least) that Gannett "squats" on trademarks by making a bunch of filings but, then not use them. So, all this seems to provide some legitimacy in my mind.

So, without further ado I give you Gannett's trademark filing for the name...Tegna.

Yeah, I know it's a head scratcher. And, in the words of the gentleman in my avatar..."That's a terrible name." I'm not totally sure what the heck it's supposed to mean (or translate to.) Now, again take all this with a grain of salt. They could go in another direction, this could be only used for one of their operations or, not at all. But, the fact that that made this filing (and, it's the only filing...so far) coupled with what I heard (and what's been said) is a little telling. So, IDK what to think. But, take it all as you wish.

Eww, that is just... ew.

Eww, that is just... ew.

I like the name USA Today media for the media arm better because Tegna sounds terrible. If they really do go with Tegna however, then their logo should at least be a reference to USA Today's logo because of the association that the broadcasting arm will no longer have with said newspaper after the split.

And about the publishing arm once it separates, I don't think it leaves it open to get acquired by Tribune or anyone else who's planning on getting takeover bids on the publishing arm. It will, however, allow it to acquire newspapers that Gannett can't have as of right now because of cross-ownership regulations (for example, they can't acquire the Fort Worth Star-Telegram until Gannett splits because of WFAA being within the viewing DMA said newspaper is in).

Archived