Sky News Rebrand

rkolsen

Sky News apparently launched a rebrand of their graphics to coincide with their election coverage. I think most of us thought these were special election graphics but it appears these are here to stay.

Right now they are still doing election coverage but gone are the yellow, reds and metallic blues in favor of white and blue. From what I've seen it's a lot less flash than what they had before opting instead for simple animations.

Looking back at the YouTube archive (you can scroll back four hours) it appears some of their lower thirds are still what I would characterize as the expanding type where the background appears for how ever many characters the text is. I am watching Sunrise right now and the chyron is full width a descriptor band on the left and they key text is still 4:3 safe. I prefer when chyrons are a fixed width.

Here's a behind the scenes video of the rebrand:

[yt]QV2W8f4tDys[/yt]

And their live stream so you can see for yourself:

[yt]sw4hmqVPe0E[/yt]

Everything I said in the UK General Election 2015 Coverage thread will be said here.

• The small size of the L3 is an advantage
  • The simplicity is very effective
  • and the use of colors and gradients is amazing

However, there are two things I don't like about the new look:

1. The name in the graphic of the person talking is on the bottom while whatever title they have is on top. I don't know why they did this, when they started doing this (probably during the last rebrand) or what the purpose of this change is, but I find it aggravating.
  2. The Coming Up teaser is now silent. Again, I don't know why they're doing this. It's annoying and doesn't show much but a picture and a tabloid-like title of the story. We need to know more about what stories you're covering next besides a picture. This is irritating (I don't know why) and I wish this wasn't implemented.

Other than these things I find flaws, this rebrand is spectacular and an amazing reason why Sky continues to be an amazing news channel in the UK and the world.

However, there are two things I don't like about the new look is this:

• The name of the person in the graphic talking is on the bottom while whatever title they have is on top. I don't know why they did this, when they started doing this (probably during the last rebrand) or what the purpose of this change is, but I find it aggravating.
  • The Coming Up teaser is now silent. Again, I don't know why they're doing this. It's annoying and doesn't show much but a picture. We need to know more about what stories you're covering next besides a picture. This is irritating (I don't know why) and I wish this wasn't implemented.

Other than these things I find flaws, this rebrand is spectacular and an amazing reason why Sky continues to be an amazing news channel in the UK and the world.

The title is confusing and it reminds me of Gannett and others how they put the anchors twitter address above their name.

My first reaction upon seeing those white L3s and thin type is Bloomberg.

I was a big fan of the old look. I loved the old custom typeface and the size-to-fit L3s...though it was just a ripoff of what CNN International was doing prior to then, so that's probably why I liked it so much.

• 1 month later...

If anyone's interested here's their Behance gallery showing their design process.

I got a headache right now and can't really figure out what app they are using to create the mockup.

Also I learned last week that they primarily use Chyron for their lower thirds and basic graphics.

Archived