FOX Sports U.S. Open Debut

caliwxdude

Anyone watching Fox Sports' U.S. Open debut this weekend? While I'm not really a huge golf on TV fan, I've always been a U.S. Open fan and interested to see what Fox will do with the tournament this year. I caught a bit of the opening minutes while I was riding the train to work this morning (thanks, Fox Sports Go and my parents' cable login) and I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised overall. It did seem like Joe Buck and Greg Norman spent too much time talking during those opening minutes (we don't need play-by-play of a Phil Mickelson three-foot putt for par), but Norman's commentary was solid and a refreshing change from Johnny Miller.

And no, they're not using the NFL on Fox music for the Open. Fox Sports posted composer Brian Tyler's new USGA theme to Soundcloud last week, and while it's not "In Celebration of Man," it's not terrible, either. (Fox also produced a quick video with Tyler talking about the theme.) Dare I say with the acquisitions of the FIFA World Cup and USGA tournament rights, Fox Sports has grown up a little and moved on from the days of Cleatus?

Anyone watching Fox Sports' U.S. Open debut this weekend? While I'm not really a huge golf on TV fan, I've always been a U.S. Open fan and interested to see what Fox will do with the tournament this year. I caught a bit of the opening minutes while I was riding the train to work this morning (thanks, Fox Sports Go and my parents' cable login) and I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised overall. It did seem like Joe Buck and Greg Norman spent too much time talking during those opening minutes (we don't need play-by-play of a Phil Mickelson three-foot putt for par), but Norman's commentary was solid and a refreshing change from Johnny Miller.

And no, they're not using the NFL on Fox music for the Open. Fox Sports posted composer Brian Tyler's new USGA theme to Soundcloud last week, and while it's not "In Celebration of Man," it's not terrible, either. (Fox also produced a quick video with Tyler talking about the theme.) Dare I say with the acquisitions of the FIFA World Cup and USGA tournament rights, Fox Sports has grown up a little and moved on from the days of Cleatus?

I don't think I'd have the guts to stream video for a while on the phone. I only use about 500 MB a month out of 4 Gbps and latch onto xfinity wifi hotspots where ever I can be.

I'm not a huge golf fan but caught a few minutes of coverage and it seemed good.

June seems to be a high profile month for them this year. First the World Cup U20, Women's World Cup and the US open.

Also what's that thing on your head? I chuckle whenever I see it.

Also what's that thing on your head? I chuckle whenever I see it.

It's a San Francisco Bulls bull head hat (in the same style as the old Pablo Sandoval panda hats the Giants used to sell). The Bulls were a minor-league ECHL hockey team that played two seasons at the Cow Palace before folding in the middle of the 2014 campaign. SF Bulls, we hardly knew ye.

I happen to like Cleatus. Original, having a robot as the mascot for your sportscasts.

Cleatus was original a few years ago, but I think he's getting a little long in the tooth.

Cleatus wasn't even Fox Sports's first robot mascot. They had

for their long-past NHL coverage in the late '90s.

The square chests remind me of G1 Soundwave. Also, that was during the FoxTrax era- I asked my dad what he thought about it, and he said he bought a newer, bigger TV back in that period just to see the glow puck.

Archived