CBS Up to the Minute to end

USNewsie

That's a shame though I guess not a shock. It was always one of those relics that I was surprised to find still existing in this era. It has always been a very good, very simple newscast to watch in the overnight hours. It's far better than most of what's on cable news today, though I guess not all is lost with CNNI now regularly simulcasting on CNN Domestic. (World News Now doesn't count.)

Edit: Here's the link to the article, which says that CBS News will continue to produce content for that hour. Hello CBSN simulcast?

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/cbs-news-up-to-the-minute-to-end/265937

Can someone explain the purpose of ABC and CBS producing two early morning shows with the same anchor and set but under two different names? Why support two different brands. Why not just have an hour long World News Now or America This Morning or and hour long CBS Morning News?

Can someone explain the purpose of ABC and CBS producing two early morning shows with the same anchor and set but under two different names? Why support two different brands. Why not just have an hour long World News Now or America This Morning or and hour long CBS Morning News?

I've wondered this for a number of years. When "CBS News Nightwatch" (the predecessor to "Up to the Minute")

debuted in 1982, hardly any stations were doing local morning news (outside of the :25 and/or :55 breaks during the network shows), and most affiliates aired "CBS Early Morning News," "World News This Morning," and "Early Today" at 6 or 6:30 AM local time. With early morning local news becoming widespread in the 1990s, the networks pushed back the early newscasts several hours, I guess to ensure they got cleared. That has led to a lot of redundancy between the overnight newscasts and the "early morning" newscasts to the point that one or the other isn't necessary.

My guess is that UTTM is presumably flexible because some affiliates rerun it more than once (especially in the west, though not always) while others will only play the full hour or even join the broadcast midway only for the last 30-45 minutes or so. The Morning News, on the other hand, is always taken in full and is never repeated (or has the updated editions broadcast) unless if an affiliate doesn't produce local news or have programming of its own in the following hours, which is very rare.

• 2 months later...

I never realized that World News Now is 90 minutes and Up to the Minute is 60 minutes (according to Wikipedia). CBS should just air an early morning broadcast from 3-4am ET to precede local morning newscasts that start now as early as 4am ET. NBC should move Early Today to 3:30am ET so that local stations can start their morning newscasts at 4am. Their own affiliate WCAU in Philadelphia has been doing this for a few years not carrying Early Today at all (even though they still list it in their TV schedule). On ABC, America This Morning is just like another half hour of World News Now anyway.

On ABC, America This Morning is just like another half hour of World News Now anyway.

It's been a *long* time since I've been up to see either WNN or America This Morning, but I thought that America This Morning has a much more serious, more buttoned-down style than the quirky, relaxed, odd-ball WNN. Or has WNN lost it's quirky-ness in recent times?

It's been a *long* time since I've been up to see either WNN or America This Morning, but I thought that America This Morning has a much more serious, more buttoned-down style than the quirky, relaxed, odd-ball WNN. Or has WNN lost it's quirky-ness in recent times?

Yes, and yes.

"CBS Overnight News" will premiere late Monday, September 21/early Tuesday, September 22.

Has this been published anywhere yet? The TV listings still show Up to the Minute. Is this also supposed to be some tie-in with CBSN, which is what was rumored to happen?

Has this been published anywhere yet? The TV listings still show Up to the Minute. Is this also supposed to be some tie-in with CBSN, which is what was rumored to happen?

Look up listings for WFOR, WKMG, WBZ, etc. and you'll see that "Up to the Minute" ends after this week and "CBS Overnight News" begins next week.

CBSO-S1-main.jpg

The CBS OVERNIGHT NEWS will be one hour of solid, original CBS News programming. The hour will contain content from across various CBS News broadcast sources, focused on the day’s events, newsmakers and unique storytelling along with repackaged stories from the most updated West Coast edition of the CBS EVENING NEWS with SCOTT PELLEY. Evening News anchor Scott Pelley and his weekend counterparts will be featured along with the full range of CBS News correspondents involved in the daily coverage. In addition, the OVERNIGHT NEWS room will be staffed to accommodate breaking news at all times.

Thanks for the info, everyone. By that description above, I'm still confused about what this show will look like. You could read that as either a revolving door of CBS people could anchor it (not unlike CBSN), or perhaps they might try an anchorless format similar to Euronews. For what it's worth, Anne-Marie Green's post on Facebook says the new show will also be on CBSN.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153304600664132

I'm not sure whether or not to start a thread about this show, yet I started one anyway,

(http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?threads/cbs-overnight-news.14974/)

but here's the update on the replacement:

CBS debuted the CBS Overnight News early this morning.

It is the replacement of the long-running Up to the Minute, and to me, is almost similar.

Instead of a regular anchor reading the previous day's news during the overnight, a package of reports from other CBS News shows air, including the CBS Evening News, 60 Minutes, Sunday Morning and Face the Nation.

Jeff Glor anchored the inaugural broadcast, but I'm not sure if either he'll be the regular anchor or if the program will be fronted by someone not really permanent.

If anything, it kinda feels I'm still watching Up to the Minute under a different name and with the other CBS News' shows' names not wiped off. I will say any early morning news program is better than nothing. If anything, they should've changed the name from UTTM to Overnight News--it feels like I'm getting something similar.

The graphics are the same as they are on the Evening News. They look great. It is also produced in the same studio as the Eve News in the Broadcast Center. So, if anything, it has a nice of that as well.

Anyway, I think this program will do very well--If for the fact this will stay (or limp) on for years just because.

What do you guys think?

Archived