New ABC 33/40 Set

LexTVandRadio

It is ABOUT TIME!! the last set 'refresh' was when they switched to HD a few years ago. Here is to hoping they get it right this time. WBRC and WIAT have them beat in the set department, heck even WVTM13 updated their duratrans a few months ago to match the Hearst graphic package.

Also the website has been updated to the new sinclair layout: www.abc3340.com

Hey for as much as people complain about WJLA's set, at least it's a million times better than what Sinclair gave to WOAI. 33/40 better hope that they can get something similar to WJLA.

James Spann does a periscope of the news for folks to get a behind the scenes look at the news and to showcase the 'Song of the night' each night after the weather segment.

Last night after the news he showed us the studio. The entire room is being gutted, and he mentioned it would be several weeks of construction.

Hopefully the new set allows them to compete with WIAT and WBRC

When the station signed on in the late 90s they used the tower in Tuscaloosa WCFT33 and a seperate tower in Anniston WJSU40 to broadcast (repeaters) a signal that originated at a very low powered tower in bham (WBMA)

When Sinclair first bought all the Allbriton stations, people were concerned that since Sinclair already owned WABM68 and WTTO21 here in birmingham, that ABC 33/40 could become some new amalgamation of: ABC68, ABC21, ABC13 (with repeaters on 68 for the bham area), etc...

Since that time Sinclair has ceased transmission on both the old 33 and 40 channels and the towers have been sold.

IF a logo change were to happen, then maybe it would be because of a huge realignment of the ABC, MyNetwork68, and/or CW21 channels.

Who Knows???

I would say pick one of those numbers. ABC 33 or ABC 40. Or even go with ABC 21, then call the CW 33/40.

For almost 20 years it been known as Alabama's ABC33/40 or ABC33/40 and that brand name has stuck with them almost 20 years. Idk if they plan on ditching that name.

Can they PLEASE get a new logo while they're at it? Their current one is atrocious.

I agree about the logo, and I'm a logo snob because your logo is what identify your brand. However that logo always look like it came off a sign off the interstate.

I think you gotta change branding at some point. You're not on channel 33. You're not on channel 40. You are broadcasting on 58.1, 68.2, 17.2, and 40.2

You are on channel 12 with most cable companies, channel 67 with DirecTV, Channel 40 with Dish.

The marketing is all over the place.

I personally think rebranding as ABC21, while playing off the circle 7 logo (the bottom line of the 2 comes across and around the whole number, as in the @ sign, to resemble a circle logo) would be something worth looking at.

I sure hope the set design and color palette plays well with the sinclair curves package. That is one thing I disliked so much about the previous set during the Allbriton era. It didn't look 'new.' It looked like an update of the old desk and the dark blue/dark orange(red) did not match the on air graphics.

I think that might even be why some folks don't like the new WJLA set??

• 2 weeks later...

In reality, the station is technically WBMA-LD, which broadcasts on physical channel 40 (virtual 58.1), and the program stream also airs on 40.2 (WGWW/9), 17.2 (WDBB/18) and 68.2 (WABM/36). The station has no relationship with the former WCFT, since its sale and rebranding as WSES.

Again, ABC 33/40 is a brand that is known in the Birmingham+ market. Will they change at some point? Possibly, but not for the foreseeable future (of course that future may be tomorrow - only station staff have an idea). Numerous stations are no longer on the historic channel number we're used to (at least those of us used to turning a knob on the set to change channels) - and I don't see that changing soon. It's all part of the branding.

Jim

In reality, the station is technically WBMA-LD, which broadcasts on physical channel 40 (virtual 58.1), and the program stream also airs on 40.2 (WGWW/9), 17.2 (WDBB/18) and 68.2 (WABM/36). The station has no relationship with the former WCFT, since its sale and rebranding as WSES.

Again, ABC 33/40 is a brand that is known in the Birmingham+ market. Will they change at some point? Possibly, but not for the foreseeable future (of course that future may be tomorrow - only station staff have an idea). Numerous stations are no longer on the historic channel number we're used to (at least those of us used to turning a knob on the set to change channels) - and I don't see that changing soon. It's all part of the branding.

Jim

Agreed. I think there are some changes being made within the news department that are not "settling" the right way with staff and a change in branding would not be wise in my opinion and honestly just not needed. It is a brand that has worked for them from day one and a brand that people have come to know for almost 20 years. I noticed that Sinclair did away with James Spann's weather app and combined everything into the main news app. While there's nothing to support this, I feel like a lot of heads are butting with Sinclair over the way they conducted things while under Allbritton's ownership vs. the way Sinclair wants things done. But that's a whole different topic for a completely different forum thread...

• 3 weeks later...

This set is 10x better than what they had previously. More photos are here.

I was hoping for at least a 2x2 video wall somewhere, and there does not seem to be a sit-down interview area.

As much as the station presents it social media integration (Focus @4) an interactive touch-screen would be very useful to them for their presentations (maybe that just wasn't in the budget?)

The bug in the lower left is now smaller and is moved outside the 4:3 safe zone.

Overall it looks great, looking forward to see what they can do with those LED's as the year goes on.

on a side note the weather has changed to the 'Weather Authority' branding :( .. not a good move. I liked the First Alert Storm Team better.

No, there's no official sit-down area, but there's adequate room to put a couple of chairs if needed. Focus @ 4 seems to be all about standing up now. I'm sure as time goes on management and producers will make changes.

As far as the bug, I liked the previous bug a lot better. Maybe they'll change that...

James Spann and his team could go with no branding, in my opinion. I've always been a fan of Storm Alert; however, Weather Authority fits them perfectly. Also, I was disappointed that there wasn't a larger weather area since they're all there during severe weather.

Overall, I believe they used the available space the best way possible. It looks like the set can be used in many ways. Most people unfamiliar with 33/40 should know the station has two additional sets in the building. The temporary set is actually the set for Friday night football updates. There's another set that's for Talk of Alabama.

I really like it. I do enjoy the story graphics and weather display behind the desk. I like the simple and sleek look. I get the reasons behind the "33/40" thing... Still feels odd to me, I feel the same thing when I see the Lincoln, NE (CBS? affiliate) 10 11 KOLN KGIN.

I really like it. I do enjoy the story graphics and weather display behind the desk. I like the simple and sleek look. I get the reasons behind the "33/40" thing... Still feels odd to me, I feel the same thing when I see the Lincoln, NE (CBS? affiliate) 10 11 KOLN KGIN.

Actually that's not weird to me at all because 10/11 is still there on Channels 10 and 11, unlike ABC 33/40 where 33 and 40 no longer exist as they now air H&I while ABC 33/40 is on 17.2, 40.2, 58.1 and 68.2

Archived