WFTS's uber-shitty graphics

Guest cfif

I don't get WFTS via cable, which is why I haven't told you about this steaming pile of fecal matter yet.

What a disgrace....and the first name only talent is so stupid.

Yeah, not that terribly good.

But, actually, I had visions of lower thirds that simply read "Wendy/ABC Action News" when I first read the original post.

And how are these different - other than WFTS is a crap-tacular station - from WJZ's "happy people/happy news" opens from a few years ago that did the same first-name-only talent bumper? Because WJZ is a heritage station?

Guest GForceTV

I must be in the minority then. I actually like these graphics. The fonts are reasonable, and the yellow and blue combo is reasonable. I think the first-name basis for reporters is a bit strange, but I understand where they're coming from. I do prefer their old logo, however:

Wfts1996.jpg

I must be in the minority then. I actually like these graphics. The fonts are reasonable, and the yellow and blue combo is reasonable. I think the first-name basis for reporters is a bit strange, but I understand where they're coming from. I do prefer their old logo, however:

Wfts1996.jpg

??? WTF

OK, analysis time, and feel free to can me if you want.

To me, the graphics are in a netherworld between crappy and decent. In other words, they're not that bad, but not that good. The opening...not what I'd call spectacular. The talent open...poorly executed logo formation. The talent shots are good, but it's the way the graphics are. The L3s... fairly decent, but needs different font. And first name basis - great for a reputable station like 'JZ, not a struggling station like 'FTS. Speaking of which, they should've just kept on mentioning the call letters and channel #. What the bloody hell kind of slogan is "Your ABC Action News Station" or "Your Taking Action For You Station"? I mean, great when it's by itself, but this is sad.

Now if it were up to me, the station would still go by WFTS ABC 28. The news division would be 28 Action News. Their opens would be "Live, Taking Action for You wherever news is breaking, this is 28 Action News." And we'd hold off on first-name basis until we get a good rep.

I'm not sure which "genius" at Scripps thought of the ABC/NBC Action News format, but it hasn't really worked. Not only that, it's stupid and takes away any localization the station has.

And seriously, if there's anybody in Tampa that people would be on a first name basis with, it's Bob [Hite] & Gayle [sierens] or even John [Wilson] & Kelly [Ring]. Not Brendan and Wendy.

I have said these statements since they began all this garbage. Hopefully others are saying it as well.

Actually, they went with this whole ABC Action News Brew-ha-ha due to "viewer confusion", viewers on cable can't handle a station branded "ABC 28" on different numbers apparently, they could just brand at WFTS and go with "WFTS Action News"

That open is incoherent, but the 1-shots from the side of the set look pretty good, though. Who knew that deep blue, cyan and yellow could look so well together? On the other hand, the main part of the set is lit way too dark and makes the graphic on the plasma the main focal point during the closing 4-shot. This is usually a good effect if the graphic on the plasma is worth looking at. Unfortunately...it's not worth looking at.

• 4 weeks later...

One would never think it would be possible. But those "uber-shitty" graphics...are now HD uber-shitty graphics. Yes, they started broadcasting in HD Saturday at 6:00. I would know. I was there.

Archived