WBAY New Graphics as of October 22

mrschimpf

Media General's WBAY in Green Bay introduced a new graphical look on their 4 p.m. show. It's Scripps-reminiscent with the rotating logo-social network element on the left (and forced 16:9 framing) and seems to have been pushed into their existing system so it looks a bit jaggy, but it's a big upgrade from the Young HD upgrade graphics. Each story has a seamless graphical intro with the lower-third. Their "abc2" logo (still voiced out as "TV-2") is now permanently on the right bottom third outside weather; seems like it's taken forever to get it in all uses. The website banner also reflects their new text font.

Right now old-style intros are mixed with the new graphics (weather graphics has an old/new mix with temp numbers in the new, and cities in the old; it'll probably take months for their 2.2 WX channel to get the new look), and still has the same old few cuts from the Eyewitness music package they hurriedly bought in '06 when Counterpoint was killed. The set also needs a freshening to match the new look, but it's a shock for WBAY since they usually only refresh only every 7-8 years.

Quite a surprise to see these---slick as heck, and I'm sure the jagginess will get fixed. (It was just on the main Chyron text; weather GFX were smooth). I did think the intro was kind of basic, though. Can't wait to see how the talent bumps will look (they're still using the old stuff).

WATE has the same look, but WKRN does not as theirs is a variant of one of their older in-house looks from the 2000s.

I actually spoke to a Facebook friend of mine who works at WATE----he mentioned that they originated the package there, and some other MG ops are picking them up. [ETA: Dug up the WATE package launch thread.]

I'm withholding judgement on the new graphics since they don't seem to have gotten everything quite in place yet (though my initial impressions scream "cheap downgrade")...but I swear I heard Stimulus behind the 6 P.M. pre-tease on the livestream.

...but I swear I heard Stimulus behind the 6 P.M. pre-tease on the livestream.

You wouldn't be the only one hearing things. That's DEFINITELY the signature, though it sounds like it was shoehorned in an Eyewitness News cut (which is nothing new for Gari). Either way, I haven't heard it on any demos and such.

Quite a surprise to see these---slick as heck, and I'm sure the jagginess will get fixed. (It was just on the main Chyron text; weather GFX were smooth). I did think the intro was kind of basic, though. Can't wait to see how the talent bumps will look (they're still using the old stuff).

I kind of had a feeling they were doing something when they added traffic a couple months back and their 'Timesaver Traffic' logo didn't match up with the traditional Action 2 News font; turned out to be a perfect match with this package. Then there's the fact that Patrick Crawford (new meteorologist) didn't get his open done yet in the Young package, along with them doing one for Jenny Curtis that never matched up with the other weather talent's open (different music and a font you'd associate more with a Macco's floor clear-out sale).

Archived