Wisco TV Watcher

Well, I think WGBA might finally be getting a new set. Last night, during the Packers-Bears game on NBC, the station aired a quick promo, showing a picture of a hard hat with text above it saying "Big changes are coming..."

Apart from a few changes over the years (including building a wall between the anchor desk and the newsroom), WGBA is still using the same set they had when their news product debuted in 1996. This change is long overdue. WBAY and WLUK adopted new sets when their newscasts went HD a few years ago and WFRV has gone through two sets since WGBA's was built.

Hopefully there will be some new graphics to follow.

About time. The Journal period was just brutal for WGBA (they're still recovering from the 'all paid programming in early afternoon' and 'here's TMJ's morning newscast, enjoy Milwaukee's murder roll and maybe a quick travel forecast-ish mention of GB/Appleton' period of 2009), and that studio is beyond cramped. Even with Scripps just maintaining the annoying status quo at 'TMJ, I can admit WGBA's product has gotten a lot better now that Milwaukee is merely treated as a pass-through regional hub rather than Wexler's domain to do as he saw fit.

It is my understanding that a HD conversion is part of this project.

WGBA was the red-headed stepchild of the Journal family... I still think that, under Journal ownership, they'd only have gone HD after WTMJ upgraded to 3D and sent the hand-me-down equipment up to Green Bay.

• 4 weeks later...
WGBA's studio is very green... Scripps went cheap. If anything the sale delayed the upgrade to HD. Journal was very close to having them going to HD before the sale.

Do we have any hints as to what the new set will look like? I can't imagine it will be very big, because the facility hasn't been expanded in any way.

Do we have any hints as to what the new set will look like? I can't imagine it will be very big, because the facility hasn't been expanded in any way.

Here is a leaked photo....

Notice the slide for the quick evacuation of those who will be let go...or otherwise wish to "spend more time with the family"

1128785164_NewsSet.jpg.b4cb3ae3eed7c9dbdb6b8c881e54deff.jpg

Here is a leaked photo....

Notice the slide for the quick evacuation of those who will be let go...or otherwise wish to "spend more time with the family"

[ATTACH=full]2508[/ATTACH]

:D:D:D Now that was too funny. This is what I needed. Haha

• 3 weeks later...
Well, I think WGBA might finally be getting a new set. Last night, during the Packers-Bears game on NBC, the station aired a quick promo, showing a picture of a hard hat with text above it saying "Big changes are coming..."

Apart from a few changes over the years (including building a wall between the anchor desk and the newsroom), WGBA is still using the same set they had when their news product debuted in 1996. This change is long overdue. WBAY and WLUK adopted new sets when their newscasts went HD a few years ago and WFRV has gone through two sets since WGBA's was built.

Hopefully there will be some new graphics to follow.

A virtual green screen set....holy yikes.

Curious that they wouldn't launch the Scripps package at the same time as a new set. Even more curious that they'd waste the time to load up the Journal package instead of sticking with the similar Journal-ish package they had already.

They're no longer using their weird bastardized version of the Journal package either.

Curious that they wouldn't launch the Scripps package at the same time as a new set. Even more curious that they'd waste the time to load up the Journal package instead of sticking with the similar Journal-ish package they had already.

Maybe their virtual studio is powered by VizRT and with this "green" install they installed Viz graphics engines? I believe Weeters mentioned that the Scripps hub was working on converting the current package to the Viz platform. They probably installed the old Journal package, which was based on Viz, to save money down the road and the need to switch systems whenever the package is ready.

this upgrade has been in the works for years... before the merger even... they received those graphics last fall before the scripps vizrt package was even on WFTS...

one of the last vestiges of journal's poor planning... wgba will probably be the last to switch to the scripps graphics because of this...

this is all vizrt equipment.

Archived