WHIO- TV in Dayton getting new set.

dabnis74

So morning anchor Adam Marshall posted a video of the delivered set pieces, highly shocked they're not keeping it a secret but WHIO in the past have always been open when constructing a new set. Can anyone figure who designed it from the pieces? It looks like it's gonna be a pretty big set. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=514348372072076&id=412936252213289

The set is designed by FX and I'm quite impressed by the sneak peak pics, looks expensive for a market size like Dayton.

It doesn't surprise me as WHIO despite its market size is actually Cox's #2 station behind WSB as it got on the air right after them and the company's namesake founder James M. Cox was the former governor of Ohio and was from the Dayton area (Kettering). Cox also owns the local paper Dayton Daily News and a few radio stations in the area, they are a monster in Dayton just like they are in Atlanta.

I know when most of us TV News fanatics think of Cox we think of WSB, WSOC, and WFTV right off the bat (At least I did until I moved to Dayton) but WHIO is a big piece of the group too. And I've noticed that WHIO is sort of a farm station for WSOC (2 people came from WHIO) just like WFTV is for WSB.

The set is designed by FX and I'm quite impressed by the sneak peak pics, looks expensive for a market size like Dayton.

WHIO is Cox's secondary flagship (the main one being WSB obviously). Cox has owned WHIO (TV and radio) since the begining. The company founder had strong roots in the area. Plus WHIO-TV is a monster in the ratings. Broadcasting & Cable said that they control something like 60% of the ad revenue in Dayton*. So the fact that WHIO would get a new expensive set isn't surprising at all.

*Note: This was before B&C put their market analysis behind a paywall, which was at least 4 years ago. That 60% figure may no longer be the case due to the passage of time. Plus my memory isn't the greatest in the world so take it with a grain of salt.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a picture of the main anchor desk to the right and weather center podium to the left, the set is suppose to debut within the next week. Gotta say I thought it looked cheap from the earlier pics but this set is starting to look really top notch for FX.

image.thumb.jpeg.8b3019b33a759a1e8025e00c41cf708d.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta say, this is a very good set for WHIO.

Loving the Awesome video wall & 3D "7" logo and video screen on the desk.

Plus, the crisscross metal walls, while in-my eyes-an odd element, look cool and pop out from the set. I'm kinda even digging it.

FX did great with this one.

Archived