Media Consolidation and Why People Don't Trust the Media

mardek1995

People would've said stuff like "don't trust the corporate media" 20 years ago or even 5 years ago, but back then, there were good examples of media companies that you could trust. Sadly, TV is becoming consolidated. The radio M&A thunder had already run its course by 2010 and it was only a matter of a few years that the TV M&A thunder was going to be next.

Perry A. Sook and his company, Nexstar, are really on to something, which is saying a lot:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/local-tv/natpe-2016-nexstar-s-perry-sook-we-re-middle-ballgame-consolidation/147100

People would've said stuff like "don't trust the corporate media" 20 years ago or even 5 years ago, but back then, there were good examples of media companies that you could trust. Sadly, TV is becoming consolidated. The radio M&A thunder had already run its course by 2010 and it was only a matter of a few years that the TV M&A thunder was going to be next.

Perry A. Sook and his company, Nexstar, are really on to something, which is saying a lot:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/local-tv/natpe-2016-nexstar-s-perry-sook-we-re-middle-ballgame-consolidation/147100

They don't trust it because it gets filtered and distorted to draw ratings. Most of those overdramatic stories about crazy things happening were extremely underwhelming in person... I've been out on some of those stories when I was around TV... You get 100 times the hype during the newscast as is warranted.

They don't trust it because it gets filtered and distorted to draw ratings. Most of those overdramatic stories about crazy things happening were extremely underwhelming in person... I've been out on some of those stories when I was around TV... You get 100 times the hype during the newscast as is warranted.
You've got a good point on that, because a lot of the news is opting for infotainment like say, what Scripps delivers with "The Now" in most of its markets, or Sinclair's Terrorism Alert Desk (though terrorism is exactly what the name suggests, that desk is overhyping it with excessive fear), apparently because more drama brings more viewers, and even then, since people (myself included, as well as anyone living in the San Diego area) trust the media less now than they did 5 years ago, they aren't as likely to view local news

Sorry guys but Hype has been around since the "bleeds it leads" EWN days in the 70's...

The second "hype cycle" occurred when 'A Current Affair' hit in the 90's.

Hype is NOT why trust has been lost. Hype has been a part of the media since day 1.

Reporters are no longer reporters, they are repeaters verbatim of press releases, sat tours and other media handouts.

Case in point...

Scripps "investigative reporters" are actually consumer advocates only. They are not allowed to use hidden cameras or ANYTHING that might get the station sued. The mere action of contacting the stations lawyers is frowned upon because that cost money to call a REAL Lawyer that knows media law.

Stations hire on the cheap, run on the cheap and God forbid you try to do "whatever" if it's not already in the budget.

Reporters used to be trusted by the public when they actually asked questions. Just try putting a local politico on the hotseat and see how quick that person calls the assignment desk to complain.

The art of television journalism has been lost to a bunch of googlers and facebookers mining useless list and factoids from various websites...in windowless 'newsrooms'(sarcasim) across the USA.

Some San Diego reporters think they are badasses because they can pull a criminal court file to use as a live shot prop...but ask that same reporter to de-cipher what that file actually says and they are stumped.

"I used to be disgusted...now I try to be amused"

Elvis Costello

Archived