Big Rebrand for Channel 4--ehr, 5

Action Newsroom

5Brands_Solid-e1455043644458.jpg

Channel 5, coming off its takeover by Viacom back in 2014, announced a big overall revamp to all of its properties. The major change-up includes a new logo for Channel (the fifth overall in its history)--along with its stations Star and USA, a new name for its On Demand service (previously Demand 5, now My5--really dumb name IMO), and new bumpers and graphics.

[MEDIA=vimeo]154304324[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=vimeo]154304711[/MEDIA]

I think I can say that someone brought this

BvT3ELaHf_C8hA_lgrq4brmoY7E5Jk3g7EqxNv7XhgjbH5s4Xl5JquYvjPw5QcCITmE=w300 to the UK

and mashed it with the Channel 4 logo.

I do think it's a hell of a lot better than the last one, though.

I think I can say that someone brought this

BvT3ELaHf_C8hA_lgrq4brmoY7E5Jk3g7EqxNv7XhgjbH5s4Xl5JquYvjPw5QcCITmE=w300 to the UK

and mashed it with the Channel 4 logo.

I do think it's a hell of a lot better than the last one, though.

That's exactly what I thought the new "5" logo looked like to me. It really did remind me of KTLA 5.

Just FYI, light-colored text on a light background is unreadable.

Sorry. I was in a mood where I'd color the network names because they'd look cool to correspond with their names. Thought it'd make some sense to me.

I was in a feel-really-good-to-make-the-day-better-than-crap mood.

I'll excuse the similarities between 5's and KTLA's logos--along with the similarities to 4's logo,

because this one is way better made and used IMO than all the previous logos combined

(besides maybe the uppercase FIVE logo.)

I do really like the way it animates in the graphics, whether deconstructed or reconstructed.

And the graphics themselves (with bright vibrant colors, shapes and textures)

are better than the last set, which relied a lot on red and white.

The bumpers for USA are also great, with a nice rugged, dramatized look at contemporary America.

[MEDIA=vimeo]154623567[/MEDIA]

Overall I think this is Channel 5's best look and logo in a long while. Kudos to everyone for this new change.

This channel will never trump (or even never reach) 4 in terms of bold, provocative programming,

but at least it's in now competition with 4 in terms of odd, vibrant, colorful look.

• 8 months later...

C5 News has gotten a major on-air revamp.

A move back to its original home at content provider ITN's Old Grey Road headquarters in West London brought out a darker, busier, and more simplified look (even more so than the green screen years), along with a purple-filled physical set--the first in a few years.

1477916028_306170886.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of the logo, but it is a nice logo nonetheless. I would've perfered the last one used though.

My favorite piece of this set is the desk shaped like C5's current logo.

1477915912_317991552.jpg

Some people over at TVForum have noticed a set element that's reminiscent of a radiator. I agree with them, but I'll look past that (I don't spend days fixated on small things like that like some posters there do).

Overall (for now), I think this look and set is a much bigger and better improvement for the division after years of so-so looks and meager and bland sets. I look forward to years of use of this look.

Well done, C5 producers.

Archived