XETV set tweak

A3N

For the last few months, XETV has been tweaking its set. Gone are the old CRT monitors, replaced by LED tv's and yesterday, they added a video wall. Aside from new monitors all over the set, nothing else has changed (with the exception of the weather area which was moved a bit to the left of it's former location). Set is about 17 years old...

capture_20160327_220013_zpsyx1wpudj.jpg

capture_20160327_223223_zpsyidwght0.jpg

capture_20160327_223211_zpsjsbkunq4.jpg

Dec 29 1999 was the premier date.

As soon as I get that newscast off VHS I will post it.

I think that set has done well...and I'm NO expert on sets as you all know.

I remember everyone was crazy about the "bubble machine" graphics at the time.

Interesting fact:

For the first few months the newscast was transmitted via sat from the sat truck in the parking lot (not a fixed earth station) while XETV waited for the waiver from the FCC to run fiber/ microwave directly across the border to the transmitter. The sat hop did not require a waiver...but was also not cost effective.

They've kept the desk in pretty good condition, after all these years--unlike KUSI. That being said, they could have fixed a few areas to the sides (interview areas/weather center) since they show up when they take a 3-shot when tossing to weather. In several instances, they've had to use a roll-up CW6 banner to cover up something in the background, and it looks extremely tacky- very H.S. production-ish.

I'm sure they've could have afforded to install one of those FX set-in-a-can, and would have started fresh with a new set. But we all know that XETV doesn't spend money, unless it's forced to--and even then, they do it begrudgingly.

They've kept the desk in pretty good condition, after all these years--unlike KUSI. That being said, they could have fixed a few areas to the sides (interview areas/weather center) since they show up when they take a 3-shot when tossing to weather. In several instances, they've had to use a roll-up CW6 banner to cover up something in the background, and it looks extremely tacky- very H.S. production-ish.

I'm sure they've could have afforded to install one of those FX set-in-a-can, and would have started fresh with a new set. But we all know that XETV doesn't spend money, unless it's forced to--and even then, they do it begrudgingly.

They spend money when the Peso exchange rate is favorable.

I have a picture of one of the first sets in the late 1950'szonky8.png.29d734284d67c0fb271b9b6964fcc4f8.png

Ironically it makes the set feels less dated

I was thinking the same thing. As much as I would prefer that they get a new set, their set still looks better than a lot of new sets out there.

The 3x3 monitor doesn't look centered. It would look better the KFMB Route (2x3) but yes it looks good as an update. The set has aged well and it's great to see they finally did these tweakings.

The Pop up banner looks like a community event or when Banks set up in the breakroom to promote for you to open a free checking or Roth IRA lol

The 3x3 monitor doesn't look centered. It would look better the KFMB Route (2x3) but yes it looks good as an update. The set has aged well and it's great to see they finally did these tweakings.

The Pop up banner looks like a community event or when Banks set up in the breakroom to promote for you to open a free checking or Roth IRA lol

The monitors look like they're on some kind of stand. Basically they just parked it in front of the background. The difference between XETV's monitor wall and KFMB's is that at least KFMB spent the extra dollar to get the thin bezel monitors so the lines don't show up as much.

Archived