WTKR gets the Tribune CBS graphics

Ntropolis

While I too love the new graphics, I have determined that it bugs me that the open reads as if the branding is supposed to be "3 News" vice "News 3"... If I were them, I'd have just gone for the bland "CBS 3" branding like WTVR & WTTV. That would have allowed them to be have a consistent on-air branding for both network and news products.

WTKR finally has a news team that is stable -- remember the revolving door from the late 90's to the late 2000s? If they can maintain the on air anchor stability... I can definitely see them overtaking Nexstar WAVY and maybe running at #1 (if the heir-apparent #1 WVEC completely falls off the map)

The "3" should follow "News" on the opening graphic I agree, and i like the "3" just fine, but I think the "News" should be same font style for the bug and title card. I would also prefer the voiceover to not say the dreaded word "YOUR" of years past. I would say something like "Live from WTKR...News 3 at 6 starts now...

The "3" should follow "News" on the opening graphic I agree, and i like the "3" just fine, but I think the "News" should be same font style for the bug and title card. I would also prefer the voiceover to not say the dreaded word "YOUR" of years past. I would say something like "Live from WTKR...News 3 at 6 starts now...

You took the words out of my mouth. But that liner they say now is the same VO liner WTTV did when it launched these same graphics a year and half ago.

You took the words out of my mouth. But that liner they say now is the same VO liner WTTV did when it launched these same graphics a year and half ago.

I think the actual station branding is "WTKR News 3" just like they were "Your Newschannel 3" for these many years.

Indeed. You would think that the promotional and graphics department would be on the same page with branding, but not so here.

I think the actual station branding is "WTKR News 3" just like they were "Your Newschannel 3" for these many years.

I am fine with WTKR News 3 for the newscasts, but I don't like it for the whole station. It is just sounds dumb when stations say something like watch "Family Feud weeknights at 7 on WTKR News 3" instead of just like on "WTKR-TV 3". Was in Vegas a few weeks ago and the NBC affiliate brands the whole station as "News 3." It was awful.

Tribune likes to make you the owner of the station by saying it's YOUR newscast.

Love the open. Love the graphics ... Hate the bug and time/temp stamp. VERY hard to read.

-- Matt

They've since flipped the color to black, which made it a lot easier on the eyes.

As for the branding...I don't mind it at all, actually! Normally I'm right with everyone - if you're branding as "3 News", write your logo as that, and vice versa. But here, since it's "Your news at <whenever>"...it actually makes sense, because it's not being read as "News 3 at <whenever>". If the voiceover said anything else it would need to be switched.

Considering that WTKR competitors are a future Nexstar station and a Tegna station, News3 might be able to make headway against WAVY and WVEC.

WTKR finally has a news team that is stable -- remember the revolving door from the late 90's to the late 2000s? If they can maintain the on air anchor stability... I can definitely see them overtaking Nexstar WAVY and maybe running at #1 (if the heir-apparent #1 WVEC completely falls off the map)

Here's the thing. They're going up against a powerhouse #1 station that's been wiping the floor with its competitors in most timeslots lately and has an investigative unit that's well-regarded locally (WAVY) and a solid, consistent #2 that has had some degree of anchor stability for a little while now and also has a well-regarded investigative unit of their own (WVEC). Ownership is not really going to matter as much as it's stereotyped to, unless Nexstar manages to completely flush 10 down the toilet, which I honestly don't see happening. WTKR also has an unfortunate label in my mind of skewing younger and trying to be the "hip" station (i.e. waaaay too much happy talk), which I doubt is unique to me. That's going to put off a lot of potential viewers who will be expecting that from them.

On the other hand...that skew seems to have mostly disappeared with the new look, they do have the stable anchor pairings as mentioned, and they have a sports department again. Plus, WAVY seems to have gotten a little too comfortable at the top lately...they've been slipping a bit with their overall product. If they're incredibly aggressive with promoting this (basically, "hey! we don't suck anymore"), they might just manage to catch at least WVEC off-guard and topple them from runner up...perhaps even nip at 10's heels a bit. I will say, overall I thought their product was actually better than WAVY's corresponding 11 PM when I watched the WGNT 10 PM the other night...

(200th post, whee!)

WTKR also has an unfortunate label in my mind of skewing younger and trying to be the "hip" station (i.e. waaaay too much happy talk), which I doubt is unique to me. That's going to put off a lot of potential viewers who will be expecting that from them.

I've noticed it too, but I think it works for them as a strategic move.Demographically wise, that is the Hampton Roads market. Most of the Hampton Roads is in the 18-54 demo (not including the fringe counties), so the skew to the younger audience might work for them long-term. We'll see.

Happy 200th by the way.:D

WTKR has also had sweeps wins in the past few years (2013 especially) comes to mind. They've fallen a bit since then, but the situation was nowhere near as bad as the mid 2000s where they were rating lower than syndicated fare.

It seems to be a pretty competitive market. It keeps things interesting for sure.

WTKR has also had sweeps wins in the past few years (2013 especially) comes to mind. They've fallen a bit since then, but the situation was nowhere near as bad as the mid 2000s where they were rating lower than syndicated fare.

It seems to be a pretty competitive market. It keeps things interesting for sure.

They also still win regularly at noon, thanks to The Price is Right as lead-in.

About WTKR's new "3" logo: It seems funny that WREG didn't modify its own logo to look like this when they implemented the Tribune CBS graphics, instead of keeping their late-'90s era logo. Wouldn't be too big of a change since WREG has used their Helvetica "3" since the 1980s, it would have fit well.

About WTKR's new "3" logo: It seems funny that WREG didn't modify its own logo to look like this when they implemented the Tribune CBS graphics, instead of keeping their late-'90s era logo. Wouldn't be too big of a change since WREG has used their Helvetica "3" since the 1980s, it would have fit well.

Ironically, part of the open they use reminds me of their old "Circle 3" days. I kinda wish they went back to that, along with the "News 3" branding.

Now if only WHNT had picked these up instead of going the cheap route.

So they didn't change the slogan? Hmm. That wasn't what I thought...

Kind of funny looking that every clip from air has the old graphics though...hopefully they'll update it once they have enough material with the new look.

Tribune is finally getting around to the former LOCAL TV stations. Now that "The Franchise" is leaving FOX 8 and their long curse of professional sports misery has been lifted....are they next?

The O&O set is 9 years old and the current graphics are horrible. Even the WXMI/WXIN package would be an improvement for them!!!

Seeing as how their CBS affiliates are one by one falling into a consistent look....hopefully something happens before Tribune cashes out (IF it happens!)

As for the old package....I wonder if it was sent to the lethal injection table, firing squad, or ole' sparky...

As for the old package....I wonder if it was sent to the lethal injection table, firing squad, or ole' sparky...

Back to the claw machine prize grab. Word is, the kids over at the local Chuck E. Cheese's outlet sure missed Mr. Claw, but are happy to see him return with much faster and improved prize grabbing skills. Additional word is that the highly abused TV claw misses fetching and disposing of title bars and full screens, but seems to be adjusting well to his new confines.

• 1 month later...
Tribune is finally getting around to the former LOCAL TV stations. Now that "The Franchise" is leaving FOX 8 and their long curse of professional sports misery has been lifted....are they next?

The O&O set is 9 years old and the current graphics are horrible. Even the WXMI/WXIN package would be an improvement for them!!!

Seeing as how their CBS affiliates are one by one falling into a consistent look....hopefully something happens before Tribune cashes out (IF it happens!)

From what I remember reading awhile back, WJW is set to receive a new news set sometime this year. They might be holding back simply due to Dick Goddard... you'll note that the weather desk and its detached location dates back to the 1997 set, with different duratrans after the 2006 set build.

From what I remember reading awhile back, WJW is set to receive a new news set sometime this year. They might be holding back simply due to Dick Goddard... you'll note that the weather desk and its detached location dates back to the 1997 set, with different duratrans after the 2006 set build.

It's well needed. I wonder why they never integrated the weather center into their prior sets. Even their 1985-1996 set had one, complete with bump shots of whichever meteorologist was "prepping" their weathercast before the next block.

Maybe it was a Dick Goddard thing that went back to their 1996 relaunch. He was noticeably absent during this time due to the loss of his longtime partner and recovering from knee surgery....or lack of studio space, having to carve out areas of their newsroom or office space for weather and even a "web center"...

Archived