WKRC to get a new set

Breaking News

• 1 month later...
Excellent set, although the fact that WKRC is still using its Newport graphics bugs me. Not that I want the Sinclair graphics, mind you.

And I wish they would dropped the "Local 12" and become CBS 12. WKRC should change to CBS 12 Eyewitness News.

I know they were called Eyewitness 12 News from the 1970s through the early 90s.

And I wish they would dropped the "Local 12" and become CBS 12. WKRC should change to CBS 12 Eyewitness News.

I know they were called Eyewitness 12 News from the 1970s through the early 90s.

I don't mind Local 12, but I hate a station throwing their affiliation with the channel number. That just generic branding. I'm all for branding moniker name, but enough off the affiliation /number branding.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my guess why WKRC gets to keep their own graphic look:

Too much overlap between Cincinnati, Lexington, Columbus, especially Dayton and maybe even Charleston. In certain parts of southcentral and southwestern Ohio, you would have up to nine stations that all look the same. WKRC, WSTR, WSYX, WTTE, WWHO, WCHS, WVAH, WRGT and WKEF. At least Dayton, Charleston and Columbus are ABC/Fox duopolies, so maybe the overlap there doesn't matter.

I like the Sinclair Graphics though. I am into minimalism these days.

(Somebody earlier also mentioned Salt Lake City. Maybe they just keep another look for their CBS affiliates.)

Too much overlap between Cincinnati, Lexington, Columbus, especially Dayton and maybe even Charleston. In certain parts of southcentral and southwestern Ohio, you would have up to nine stations that all look the same. WKRC, WSTR, WSYX, WTTE, WWHO, WCHS, WVAH, WRGT and WKEF. At least Dayton, Charleston and Columbus are ABC/Fox duopolies, so maybe the overlap there doesn't matter.

(Somebody earlier also mentioned Salt Lake City. Maybe they just keep another look for their CBS affiliates.)

WKRC has been #1 in the market for over a decade I believe. Too many changes this close to November sweeps could cost them big $. I was kind of afraid of what could have happened, being Sinclair, but was pleasantly surprised at the results. As for "Local12", I don't see that changing anytime soon. That's how they have been marketing themselves for 13 years and it took them to #1. They have the longest tenured anchors and reporters in the market and put out a far better product than the competition.

My theory is that because it's one of the better performing affiliates in the station group (similar to KUTV, they're #1 in the Cincinnati market), Sinclair allows them to have some creative license when it comes to the graphics.

Same reason why they didn't ditch the "Local 12" branding. Why fix something that isn't broken?

My theory is that because it's one of the better performing affiliates in the station group (similar to KUTV, they're #1 in the Cincinnati market), Sinclair allows them to have some creative license when it comes to the graphics.

Same reason why they didn't ditch the "Local 12" branding. Why fix something that isn't broken?

Could be, but WSYX (a profit powerhouse), WJLA and KOMO all have the new graphics! WKRC isn't any higher in the pecking order than they are.

Also remember, depending on your cable system and what Ohio county you are in, you could have at least two Sinclair markets -- WKEF/WRGT, WSYX/WTTE/WWHO, WCHS/WVAH and/or WKRC on your cable system. Hillsboro, Chillicothe, Portsmouth, Springfield, Washington Court House and places like that. If you are living in Butler County, which is right in the middle between Cincinnati and Dayton, or Warren County, I think the cable systems there carry both the Cincinnati stations and the Dayton stations.

Last time I checked, both WSYX and WKEF/WRGT (but not WTTE) were carried by Time Warner in Springfield. And again but then again, they are both ABC affiliates.

Could it also be something in the Newport technology that doesn't interact well with the technology Sinclair uses and they just haven't upgraded yet?

Archived