NBC Sports to Broadcast Notre Dame Home Games in 4K

rkolsen

NBC Sports and DirecTV will be broadcasting every Notre Dame home game live in 4K. The 4K feed will mirror the regular HD feed in almost every way but will be produced from a second truck using the same cameras. The second truck's director will follow the calls of the primary trucks director in a process known as a "shaddow cut". DirecTV subscribers will need a 4K capable box to view the content.

I'm kind of wondering if they already have 4K cameras and a truck producing a nearly identical broadcast why are they duplicating the production effort? Why not take the downconvert the 4K feed to 1080i? I believe that's what BT Sport does in the UK.

I just wonder if this is also going to air on the WRAL experimental channel; I wouldn't see why not.

I would agree that the regular telecast might have a scale-down on some shots, but they probably want to have a backup just in case the 4K cams would go out, along with giving the secondary 4K truck experience trying to frame and work the 4K shots without having the regular truck director trample all over.

probably want to have a backup just in case the 4K cams would go out, along with giving the secondary 4K truck experience trying to frame and work the 4K shots without having the regular truck director trample all over.

It was my impression that they're using the same "camera complement". Just for comparison for their NASCAR broadcasts they've used 4K cameras exclusively with HD in car cameras.

I'm kind of wondering if they already have 4K cameras and a truck producing a nearly identical broadcast why are they duplicating the production effort? Why not take the downconvert the 4K feed to 1080i? I believe that's what BT Sport does in the UK.

I'm going to guess that not all the equipment in the main truck has 4K-capable counterparts. For example, most of the graphics are probably not available in 4K. The system that inserts the various markers on the field might not be in 4K

I bet there will be noticeable differences in the broadcasts if you watch them side-by-side.

Actually, the graphics can be upconverted. The first BT Sport soccer game had a separate feed for 4K (the halftime show was done by the commentators from their booth. Apparently Sportsnet has been doing their 4K in such a way that graphics and non-4K content are just scaled up so they can keep the telecast identical to the HD version.

[MEDIA=twitter]756647595607547908[/MEDIA]

Archived