Does MyNetworkTV Simulcast Breaking News Alongside the Fox Network?

DonDonP1

Hello, everyone. I remembered the time when the Fox network aired a breaking news report on President Barack Obama's address on the Iran nuclear talk. At the end, Fox News Channel's Chief Anchor Shepard Smith said that he would return Fox and MyNetworkTV viewers to regular programming. Sorry for being curious and for going off the topic, but does your local MyNetworkTV station--whether or not owned by 21st Century Fox, Inc.--simlucast a Fox News Special Report for breaking news alongside your local Fox station? Mine--Seattle's KZJO 22 "Joe TV," sister station of KCPQ 13 Fox--has not. Here's the ending of Fox News' breaking news coverage from April 2nd of 2015. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=3W6L5Eun8Vc;m=22;s=24

MyTV is a two hours a night, five nights a week programming service, not a network per se. It's filler programming either in prime time or late night for a de facto independent station.

Their affiliates may elect to pick up breaking news coverage either through their duopoly partner or through that partner's network affiliation. Remember that MyTV affiliates are not always co-owned with a Fox affiliate.

MyTV is a two hours a night, five nights a week programming service, not a network per se. It's filler programming either in prime time or late night for a de facto independent station.

Their affiliates may elect to pick up breaking news coverage either through their duopoly partner or through that partner's network affiliation. Remember that MyTV affiliates are not always co-owned with a Fox affiliate.

Hello, Myron, and thank you very much indeed for the reply. I'll keep that in mind.

WDCA aired CBS News coverage during 9/11 when they were a UPN affiliate (shortly before they were bought by FOX), but other than that I never recall them simulcasting any breaking news, however they did take the liberty of airing regular FOX programming during a major snowstorm this past winter so WTTG could stay with rolling coverage.

WDCA aired CBS News coverage during 9/11 when they were a UPN affiliate (shortly before they were bought by FOX), but other than that I never recall them simulcasting any breaking news, however they did take the liberty of airing regular FOX programming during a major snowstorm this past winter so WTTG could stay with rolling coverage.

During 9/11 didn't WUSA stay entirely local - focusing solely on the Pentagon?

During 9/11 didn't WUSA stay entirely local - focusing solely on the Pentagon?

Yeah. I was in school at the time, but with what I read from DCRTV, they hardly cut over to Dan Rather's coverage unless Pres. Bush was speaking. I came home from school hoping to find solace from the news and WDCW was simulcasting WPIX, WDCA with CBS News.

UPN carried CBS News, while Fox-owned UPN affiliates deferred to FNC (with the exception of WWOR, which kept local coverage).

The WB simulcasted CNN, and PAX carried NBC News.

KSTW, the then-UPN 11 (now CW 11) in Seattle simulcasted CBS' breaking news coverage as well. That was a month and 18 days before the old Viacom--now the CBS Corporation--swapped WDCA and Houston's KTXH to Fox in exchange for San Francisco's KBHK (now KBCW). Oh, the memories. Lest we forget.

Archived