Carlos Slim sets sights on the US, announces new "Nuestra Visión" broadcast network

Samantha

One of the biggest stories of the year appears to be starting south of the border — and coming to a station near you.

Carlos Slim has announced to the industry that he is seeking to put a new television network on the air in the United States, to be called "Nuestra Visión" (Our TV). He's aiming to reach the 35 million Mexican Americans in the US (and more generally, the entire Hispanic market).

In this effort, Slim will draw on the existing cards in his deck, such as UnoTV which has news and other programming, content from Claro Sports, and a film library of 2,000 Mexican movies. The network is slated for a launch in this calendar year and will be run by a subsidiary of América Móvil called Publicidad y Contenido Editorial (Advertising and Editorial Content).

Here's a presentation in English:

[MEDIA=vimeo]183753396[/MEDIA]

Carlos Slim is no idiot. Funny how in the last few weeks the Mexican Media Moguls (Mafia) have suddenly popped to life. Those boys south of the border are itch-en...in the kitchen. Ready to make some deals with the old Boogie Man .

Don't look under the bed or Trump gonna git-ya!

Carlos Slim is no idiot. Funny how in the last few weeks the Mexican Media Moguls (Mafia) have suddenly popped to life. Those boys south of the border are itch-en...in the kitchen. Ready to make some deals with the old Boogie Man .

Don't look under the bed or Trump gonna git-ya!

Actually, now's the perfect time to get a spanish-language network launched. Kick Univision/Televisa while they're down, take some of their thunder: i.e. talent, sports, etc. and watch them flail until they get their sh*t together.

And keep an eye on the spanish-language nets regarding coverage of Trump. I think they'll be his Achilles heel in the not so distant future. He really underestimates the power of the Latino influence...

Actually, now's the perfect time to get a spanish-language network launched. Kick Univision/Televisa while they're down, take some of their thunder: i.e. talent, sports, etc. and watch them flail until they get their sh*t together.

And keep an eye on the spanish-language nets regarding coverage of Trump. I think they'll be his Achilles heel in the not so distant future. He really underestimates the power of the Latino influence...

It would be network #4 right? Since there's already Azteca America.

They would be smart to grab Barbara Bermundo...

They would be smart to grab Barbara Bermundo...

No doubt. Her departure was a big blow for Univision, but the network had no choice but to let her go. It was either keep Barbara on, and lay off a dozen+ employees, or can her and keep the others around.

That being said, I think she eventually winds up at Telemundo. There is an open spot on Noticiero Telemundo alongside Jose Diaz-Balart...

No doubt. Her departure was a big blow for Univision, but the network had no choice but to let her go. It was either keep Barbara on, and lay off a dozen+ employees, or can her and keep the others around.

That being said, I think she eventually winds up at Telemundo. There is an open spot on Noticiero Telemundo alongside Jose Diaz-Balart...

What open spot? Maria Celeste leave?

What open spot? Maria Celeste leave?

Yes. She recently renewed her contract at Telemundo. In that renewal, she dropped Noticiero and is focusing solely on Al Rojo Vivo as anchor/executive producer. She said doing both was too much since each show has their own teams and often times it was hard to focus her time and energy on doing both.

They already laid a dozen employees already and they are going to layoff more soon, so it doesn't really matter much either way. I think once her husband got the axe, it's was only matter of time. I expect more big names will get the axe or smartly jump soon from there.

They already laid a dozen employees already and they are going to layoff more soon, so it doesn't really matter much either way. I think once her husband got the axe, it's was only matter of time. I expect more big names will get the axe or smartly jump soon from there.

Curses E-Verify!

No doubt. However, had she not been canned, they would have laid off a dozen+ more employees. What did her husband do at Univision?

No doubt. However, had she not been canned, they would have laid off a dozen+ more employees. What did her husband do at Univision?

Wasn't her husband a sports director at WLTV Univision 23 in Miami?

EDIT: He was the 11pm weeknight anchor and reporter at WLTV until canned in 2016 to make way for Ambrosio Hernandez.

Someone on a Puerto Rico forum posted what they said is a list of affiliates. I'm not sure if it's accurate, so take it with a grain of salt but it might be a point of discussion:

WNYX-LD New York, NY

WDFL-LD Miami, FL

KHTV-CD Los Angeles, CA

WZXZ-CD Orlando, FL

WRCX-LP Dayton, OH

KKYK-CD Little Rock, AR

WJDE-LD Nashville, TN

KMCT-TV West Monroe, LA

KATA-CD Dallas, TX

WWTD-LD Washington, DC

KVAT-LD Austin, TX

KUVM-LD Houston, TX

KPHE-LD Phoenix, AZ

KZMM-CD Sacramento, CA

WLWK-CD Green Bay, WI

WMKE-CD Milwaukee, WI

WOCK-CD Chicago, IL

WBWP-LD West Palm Beach, FL

WTBS-LD Atlanta, GA

KUIL-LD Beaumont, TX

KYVV-TV San Antonio, TX

XHDTV-TDT San Diego, CA/Tijuana, BC

KCEN-TV Temple, TX

WSJU-TV San Juan, PR

The list seems really erratic. KYVV's appearance on this list is noteworthy as the station went silent six months ahead of the closure of the MundoMax network. Two Tegna stations appear on this list as do a number of former MundoMax/MundoFox outlets. In some cases the implication is clearly a subchannel.

Archived