KCAU New Set.

CircleSeven

KCAU debuted its brand new set, in their brand new facility today. It has vacated its old facility in downtown Sioux City.

Here's last night's sign-off from the old place.

[MEDIA=twitter]834634182156496896[/MEDIA]

And here's a panoramic view of its new news studio. It's your typical Nexstar set. The big difference is that desk, which is a carbon copy of what sister-station in Vegas received.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10158457333255314

And here's a news report featuring the new graphics (same as WFXR, WZDX, etc.) and logo. Unlike the other two Citadel Iowa stations that ended up using the "Local" branding, KCAU is just using its calls.

[MEDIA=twitter]834972216739696640[/MEDIA]

This set is giving me mixed feelings. (Typical of Nexstar anyways, it's a characteristic they like to provoke in almost every occasion. Thanks, Nexstar. :rolleyes:)

The design cliches from the early 2000s are lingering in the most unnerving way. For instance, the generic duratran and the TV array behind frosted glass are the most noticeable - and it really conflicts with what I'm assuming is intended to be a modern-like set. Added with the fact there's a odd mishmash of designs like the random stone slabs and the stale blue backdrop, you have one big turn off. However, with all that said, it at least functions on what it's supposed to do as a news set, and conducts some effect to provoke modern ideals while looking visually pleasing.

On the flip side though, the LCD screen array is great and that desk looks hella fine.

was there a reason giving for moving out of their building?

Here is an article from the local Sioux City newspaper about the move. It also talks about why they decided to move:

http://siouxcityjournal.com/news/local/columnists/gallagher/gallagher-for-kcau-staffers-an-old-door-closes-a-new/article_2545bd8a-f28b-57c2-9004-26c150f020ff.html

Mainly it was because the building they were at in Downtown Sioux City is too old and I guess Nexstar figured it would be cheaper to just build a new building rather than renovate the old buliding.

Not a fan of the logo.... the "9" is too thin and the ABC logo is way too big. Agreed on the weird set mishmash commentary...

Also the 9 is way too big. If you look closely at KCAU's logo, the right curve of the 9 sticks out of the right side of the logo a little bit. It would be better if the 9 was smaller, so it could fit in the rectangle.

That cut does not fit the graphics at all. Honesty I thought it was production music at first, then I heard the Aerial signature....

I thought the same thing when I saw the graphics and heard the music. Sounds like a long close with that as the closing music with the scroll and names.

So they moved out of the building because it was in BAD shape. The cost to remodel everything would have been way too much. Plus this puts them right next to major highways to get to news out of the metro. Sioux City is mostly a rural market, so they figured it would be easier to get to most locales by moving there. Supposedly Perry Sook toured the old building and said it had to be moved. I think they spent 2.5M on the new spot. Ironically, it is not a standalone building, but connected to....wait for it....a Planet Fitness.

[QUOTE="Big Country News, post: 173945, member: 2241"]An update/custom cut of Stephen Arnold's Aerial?[/QUOTE] Aerial was updated a while ago when WBNS started using it. I wonder if these cuts might have been included in that update. I really like them but I agree with @HoosierNewsie in that they don't fit with the graphics. [quote name='YourWeirdAmigo']At least it is better than a ABC O&O ripoff logo (no offense Citadel)[/QUOTE] It's very similar to KMID's new logo.

Archived