Morgan Murphy buying Saga

AJClementeFan69

THIS. It's why you haven't seen Dispatch sell off, and likely won't... WBNS and WTHR are market leaders in the capital cities of two Midwest battleground states, and WBNS AM/FM are literal ATMs with the prized tOSU radio play-by-play rights.

MMM has that same quality as Dispatch. Honestly, I have the impression that they'll be staying pat for the foreseeable future.

If Dispatch ever buys anything, it'd be a boutique broadcaster with local roots and strong ratings in a major or mid-major market. Basically, Griffin, WRAL or maybe KFMB. They'd be great fits for Dispatch if either decided to exit the broadcasting business.

The thing for them is going to be if they can still keep getting syndicated programming and if they can nail down their affiliation agreements. If Sinclair signs a blanket deal for Dr. Phil and all the top shows for its stations, there might be trouble. Also, technology has made it affordable for cheap broadcasters to compete on news. The other thing is going to be affiliation. Columbus will probably always be safe, but if they can keep their affiliation nailed down in Indiana, they'll be okay.

But I think the main reason the Wolfes haven't reinvested in broadcasting? They invest everything in real estate. They obviously make more money at it and it's a far easier business to run.

If I were a Wolfe heir I'm doing a calculation in my head. Do I ride this thing out until all the value might potentially be gone, or I take the money (net of tax) and sell out now. At one point, they could have sold the Dispatch for $400-500 million and they ended up selling it for $50 million. They should have sold. But with TV they probably make so much money that they can probably milk it for as long as they want.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any purchase of KFMB would be a disaster for most the very well paid employees. KFMB has outrageously high labor cost and runs a super inflated rate card to cover those cost..and most clients don't seem to mind paying it.

(straight down the rabbit hole...sorry)

Any purchase of KFMB would be a disaster for most the very well paid employees. KFMB has outrageously high labor cost and runs a super inflated rate card to cover those cost..and most clients don't seem to mind paying it.

(straight down the rabbit hole...sorry)

Well that Canadian Bacon doesn't come cheap. I'm sure she's making Michael Tuck money by now?

• 1 month later...

Archived