Morgan Murphy buying Saga

AJClementeFan69

In all honesty, KXLY doesn't seem that bad for a #3. They have Nadine Woodward, who's a solid veteran anchor. The graphics (couldn't find an open) look a little dated but aren't awful. Still...the set could use some work. I think their claim to fame recently is breaking the Rachel Dolezal stuff. lol

KREM's loss is KXLY's gain for having Nadine for 7 years now and still going.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WKBT seems decent content-wise, lots of longtime talent, but they still appear to be in SD and their graphics (can't find a recent open on youtube...but here are some stories) are amateur hour. I think they tend to be #1 in the La Crosse side of the market (WEAU #1 in Eau Claire...with WXOW/WQOW eating from the scraps). T

WISC, their flagship, seems to get the most love. If you go to their bio page...quite a lot of their talent has been at the station or in the market for a long time. They have a very nice (in-house?)

IMO. Their set is 15+ years old though...but has aged decently well I guess. Wikipedia says they've been historically at the top because of their VHF position.

Even WISC in the last decade has suffered from a revolving door since John Karcher retired and Susan Siman and Rob Starbuck was split up (kinda similar to WTMJ, but not as extreme), A aggressive WMTV, which I last saw, became #1 in several timeslots over the last decade, and what I saw on the old Watercooler board, they didn't know how to react to WMTV's rise.

Even WISC in the last decade has suffered from a revolving door since John Karcher retired and Susan Siman and Rob Starbuck was split up (kinda similar to WTMJ, but not as extreme), A aggressive WMTV, which I last saw, became #1 in several timeslots over the last decade, and what I saw on the old Watercooler board, they didn't know how to react to WMTV's rise.

Yeah...I think WMTV is doing a lot better than it used to. Not sure where each station ranks now though it's competitive. WISC seems to have a ton more veterans though..

Based on the stories I've seen from both stations WISC is more staid and in-depth. WMTV's set is definitely the nicest in that market.

WMTV's morning show is more personality-driven, which has done well for them. Their AM team is hugely popular. WISC's, on the other hand, is probably the newsiest morning show in the market. One of the anchors, Adam Schrager, was at KUSA for a long time and doubles as their investigative reporter, so that tells you the focus they're going for there. Not sure how it's working for them.

I think WKOW has historically been in the basement. They're arguably that market's tabloid station...but the story quality overall seems better than WMTV.

Yeah...I think WMTV is doing a lot better than it used to. Not sure where each station ranks now though it's competitive. WISC seems to have a ton more veterans though..

Based on the stories I've seen from both stations WISC is more staid and in-depth. WMTV's set is definitely the nicest in that market.

WMTV's morning show is more personality-driven, which has done well for them. Their AM team is hugely popular. WISC's, on the other hand, is probably the newsiest morning show in the market. One of the anchors, Adam Schrager, was at KUSA for a long time and doubles as their investigative reporter, so that tells you the focus they're going for there. Not sure how it's working for them.

I think WKOW has historically been in the basement. They're arguably that market's tabloid station...but the story quality overall seems better than WMTV.

All the WxOW stations are ranked last in their markets, correct?

Hmm. I'm starting to think there are two reasons for why Morgan Murphy bought the Saga stations:

1) Someone in senior management at Saga knows someone in a similar position at MMM, making the sale easy to set up.

2) Morgan Murphy is planning on selling its Washington stations but wanted a suitable revenue replacement in place first.

3) Morgan Murphy is trying to make itself more attractive to potential buyers.

What shape are their Wisconsin stations (WISC and WKBT) in?

Unless somebody else (HINT) was initially going to try to buy those stations and a company finally decided it had enough of hearing about the same names and decided to make the first move.

WKBT seems decent content-wise, lots of longtime talent, but they still appear to be in SD and their graphics (can't find a recent open on youtube...but here are some stories) are amateur hour. I think they tend to be #1 in the La Crosse side of the market (WEAU #1 in Eau Claire...with WXOW/WQOW eating from the scraps). T

WISC, their flagship, seems to get the most love. If you go to their bio page...quite a lot of their talent has been at the station or in the market for a long time. They have a very nice (in-house?)

IMO. Their set is 15+ years old though...but has aged decently well I guess. Wikipedia says they've been historically at the top because of their VHF position.

KAPP/KVEW seems like a non-factor, but they try I guess?

In all honesty, KXLY doesn't seem that bad for a #3. They have Nadine Woodward, who's a solid veteran anchor. The graphics (couldn't find an open) look a little dated but aren't awful. Still...the set could use some work. I think their claim to fame recently is breaking the Rachel Dolezal stuff. lol

Kxly 6:30pm open; graphics still in transition between previous and current package; lower thirds new

Thanks — maybe "abbreviated" wasn't the right word. But I think the morning show is more of a lighter fare bush league affair than it is the typical meat and potatoes traffic and weather every 10 minutes with 25 second VOs in between.

To be honest, Yakima and Kennewick does not have a lot of traffic. It is lighter fare, but the market is kind of an odd ball one because of it not being Spokane. In fact, in Yakima and Tri-Cities its either Morgan Murphy, Cowles or Sinclair (and Sinclair also owns the outlier KLEW TV). The exception with Eastern/Central Washington when it comes to Station Ownership has been KREM (originally KING Broadcasting/Providence/Belo/Gannett/now TEGNA)

To be honest, Yakima and Kennewick does not have a lot of traffic. It is lighter fare, but the market is kind of an odd ball one because of it not being Spokane.

Oh that wouldn't stop a station group from bringing in a consultant to insist on weather and traffic every ten minutes™ and plenty of urgency™ in covering all the late breaking news™. Plenty of similarly sized markets have forced traffic reports in their 5am newscasts.

Oh that wouldn't stop a station group from bringing in a consultant to insist on weather and traffic every ten minutes™ and plenty of urgency™ in covering all the late breaking news™. Plenty of similarly sized markets have forced traffic reports in their 5am newscasts.

But it's still a for profit business...

You don't need a consultant to tell you the value of traffic reports.

I bet if you asked people in Yakima "how is traffic?"...they would all say "It Sucks!"

If we can get a sponsor for those traffic hits then no matter what DMA you are in ...you will "find" traffic.

An entire broadcast sub-industry was created by providing traffic reports in exchange for inventory (commercial spots) and barter.

It's like those annoying 4am live shots in front of the courthouse...

Yes,yes, yes....we all agree they are annoying.

You all hate doing them...but we pay you guys to do it...it's part of the deal.

• 1 month later...
So how long will MMM last now?

Especially with other companies buying each other up...

Depends how long the family wants to stay in the business.

I don't think it's a given that every smaller/family-owned company is preordained to sell. NPG and Quincy have expanded quite a bit over the past few years. MMM could very well become one of them.

There are few "perfect" buyers out there in any event meaning the company would have to be sold piecemeal or station(s) would have to be spun off.

M^3 has stations in a mix of mid-sized and small markets -- Spokane (#73), Madison (#80), Yakima-Kennewick (#122), La Crosse (#129), Joplin (#151), and Victoria (#203) -- many of which already have stations owned by Sinclair, Nexstar, Tegna, Gray, etc. KXLY (Spokane) and WISC (Madison) would likely attract different buyers than the other stations would.

M^3 has stations in a mix of mid-sized and small markets -- Spokane (#73), Madison (#80), Yakima-Kennewick (#122), La Crosse (#129), Joplin (#151), and Victoria (#203) -- many of which already have stations owned by Sinclair, Nexstar, Tegna, Gray, etc. KXLY (Spokane) and WISC (Madison) would likely attract different buyers than the other stations would.

I could see Scripps wanting WISC (and perhaps WKBT, as they're not entirely averse to purchasing small market stations). I believe WTMJ partners with WISC for news coverage (for some reason).

I would guess KXLY and KAPP/KVEW would have to be sold as a pair. The latter's operations are so intertwined with the former. I could see Nexstar buying KAPP/KVEW separately and restaffing it as a more independent operation tho.

I could see Scripps wanting WISC (and perhaps WKBT, as they're not entirely averse to purchasing small market stations). I believe WTMJ partners with WISC for news coverage (for some reason).

I would guess KXLY and KAPP/KVEW would have to be sold as a pair. The latter's operations are so intertwined with the former. I could see Nexstar buying KAPP/KVEW separately and restaffing it as a more independent operation tho.

To me, the entire Yakima/Tri-Cities market (especially the stations co-owned with Spokane) is something of a dystopian vision of American TV. Feels like it's from another country with the levels of local news and levels of hubbed production.

Depends how long the family wants to stay in the business.

I don't think it's a given that every smaller/family-owned company is preordained to sell. NPG and Quincy have expanded quite a bit over the past few years. MMM could very well become one of them.

THIS. It's why you haven't seen Dispatch sell off, and likely won't... WBNS and WTHR are market leaders in the capital cities of two Midwest battleground states, and WBNS AM/FM are literal ATMs with the prized tOSU radio play-by-play rights.

MMM has that same quality as Dispatch. Honestly, I have the impression that they'll be staying pat for the foreseeable future.

Who knows, maybe they do have further expansion ideas planned. Especially if small market stations have to be shed in other deals, or if independents come up in markets that Gray is already present in, for example (the only ones doing one-off purchases right now seem to be Gray and Heartland so they could try to sneak in front of them, others are either sitting still or aiming for the blockbusters).

If Dispatch ever buys anything, it'd be a boutique broadcaster with local roots and strong ratings in a major or mid-major market. Basically, Griffin, WRAL or maybe KFMB. They'd be great fits for Dispatch if either decided to exit the broadcasting business.

Archived