Out & About

TexasTVNews

Sinclair hasn't really created a news department from scratch on any of its stations since the News Central era (KDBC doesn't exactly count since Sinclair opted to beef up the existing resources, partly by hiring additional staff, used by KFOX for its revamped newscasts after the two were folded into the same complex). In fact, the company hasn't made good on his promise to move production of KPTM's newscasts back to Omaha, if that says anything.

A news share agreement is more likely, though KRIS is out of the question, since it already produces newscasts for its CW Plus subchannel, leaving KIII as the only feasible option to produce KUQI's newscasts.

Much like WGRZ producing newscasts for WUTV/WNYO

Sinclair hasn't really created a news department from scratch on any of its stations since the News Central era (KDBC doesn't exactly count since Sinclair opted to beef up the existing resources, partly by hiring additional staff, used by KFOX for its revamped newscasts after the two were folded into the same complex). In fact, the company hasn't made good on his promise to move production of KPTM's newscasts back to Omaha, if that says anything.

A news share agreement is more likely, though KRIS is out of the question, since it already produces newscasts for its CW Plus subchannel, leaving KIII as the only feasible option to produce KUQI's newscasts.

Agreed. A partnership seems more likely then starting from scratch. There's the cost of hiring a staff, plus they'd likely have to move. They're currently in a small office on the 19th floor of a downtown Corpus office building. With multiple stations in town already sharing one newsroom -- CBS/NBC/CW/KDF (Independent) -- it'd have to be with KIII (Tegna/ABC). Back when it was still under London Broadcasting ownership, KIII was planning to run KUQI after National Communications took over. That deal, of course, never materialized. So talks could, in theory, pick up where they left off. I still think there's a possibility an out-of-town Sinclair station could be enlisted tho. Stay tuned ...

Sinclair hasn't really created a news department from scratch on any of its stations since the News Central era...In fact, the company hasn't made good on his promise to move production of KPTM's newscasts back to Omaha, if that says anything.

I think that speaks more to not moving KMPH over to their systems first. This is a side effect of having too many stations to feasibly operate in a timely manner to properly maintain them all.

Sinclair, possibly on Granite's behalf, did reinstate morning/noon newscasts and a separate weather staff at WTVH though that might be more to make the station look better when that SSA ends and Granite inevitability sells.

Tribune's WGNO-TV has ditched yet another newscast for its "News With A Twist" format. New Orleans' ABC affiliate now only has a TRUE local newscast from 5:00 a.m. until 7:00 a.m. and again at 11:00 a.m. during the week and 5 & 10 p.m. on Sunday. "News With A Twist" is a news magazine format that is on at 5, 6 & 10 p.m. weekdays and 6 & 10 p.m. on Saturday "that focuses on lighter stories and commentary and utilizes a mostly unscripted format."

NWAT.png.2846996acdee801fa62f740aba8b1be8.png

• Like 1

Tribune's WGNO-TV has ditched yet another newscast for its "News With A Twist" format. New Orleans' ABC affiliate now only has a TRUE local newscast from 5:00 a.m. until 7:00 a.m. and again at 11:00 a.m. during the week and 5 & 10 p.m. on Sunday. "News With A Twist" is a news magazine format that is on at 5, 6 & 10 p.m. weekdays and 6 & 10 p.m. on Saturday "that focuses on lighter stories and commentary and utilizes a mostly unscripted format."

Shame.

• Like 1

[ATTACH=full]2534[/ATTACH]

Get ready for WGNO to shut down its news department. Everything that's going on there is failing for them.

• Like 1

Get ready for WGNO to shut down its news department. Everything that's going on there is failing for them.

I don't know if they'll shut it down... They can always just put regular newscasts on again if it bombs.. At least they are trying to do something different with the format.

• Like 1

I don't know if they'll shut it down... They can always just put regular newscasts on again if it bombs.. At least they are trying to do something different with the format.

NWAT originally started several years ago with one show on Saturday and featured stories that aired during the week. Their news department has not the the best that I know of, but in recent years it has declined to the lowest that I know of. They're always SO far behind the others in ratings as well.

btw wzvn in my market will be returning to the 530 pm slot

Reported a long time ago on my blog. WZVN is bringing back ABC 7 News at 5:30 but is keeping Extra at 5:00pm. The 5:30 news was canceled last year, only to have brought back this week.

NWAT originally started several years ago with one show on Saturday and featured stories that aired during the week. Their news department has not the the best that I know of, but in recent years it has declined to the lowest that I know of. They're always SO far behind the others in ratings as well.

It's definitely a very distant 4th place station in the market. Then again I'm not sure if there is enough money and viewers available to compete well with WWL, WVUE and WDSU.

[ATTACH=full]2534[/ATTACH]

Here's how I would read that ad: No thank you. I don't wanna see the sometimes stupid, idiotic and "wasting my time" stuff and the failure that is News with a Twist. Instead, I rather see the seriousness and the great journalism that is Channel 4's Eyewitness News.

Seriously, WGNO is a joke.

• Like 4

Sorry to double post...

[MEDIA=twitter]686675595896438784[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]686681886769442817[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]686686807761752064[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]686691699280752645[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]687431010447929344[/MEDIA]

Reported a long time ago on my blog. WZVN is bringing back ABC 7 News at 5:30 but is keeping Extra at 5:00pm. The 5:30 news was canceled last year, only to have brought back this week.

hell the station announced it today

Here's how I would read that ad: No thank you. I don't wanna see the sometimes stupid, idiotic and "wasting my time" stuff and the failure that is News with a Twist. Instead, I rather see the seriousness and the great journalism that is Channel 4's Eyewitness News.

Seriously, WGNO is a joke.

WWL is undoubtedly the best in the market in all time slots; WDSU continues to be a strong competitor; WVUE has its weak moments, but has made a nice comeback recently and even closing in on WDSU in some timeslots; and WGNO is the ugly stepchild. New Orleans is more than large enough to handle a newscast on that many channels, but Tribune doesn't seem to have any interest in that market (or most of their markets).

• Like 2

hell the station announced it today

Wait, really? Wow. How late because the newscast debuted on Monday and yet waited till Thursday for that? Jeez. No wonder why WZVN is lacking in ratings.

WWL is undoubtedly the best in the market in all time slots; WDSU continues to be a strong competitor; WVUE has its weak moments, but has made a nice comeback recently and even closing in on WDSU in some timeslots; and WGNO is the ugly stepchild. New Orleans is more than large enough to handle a newscast on that many channels, but Tribune doesn't seem to have any interest in that market (or most of their markets).

I agree. If I lived in New Orleans, I would watch WWL/WUPL and then watch WDSU and WVUE if WWL/WUPL ain't on. For WGNO, never. Again, they're a joke.

WDSU is great, since I like Hearst but I also like Raycom so WVUE and is all right, even though Tom Benson is playing out all of his holdings in court. With WGNO, I don't know what they're doing anymore. "News with a Twist" sounds more like an awful Broadway production than a non-traditional newscast.

For WWL, it's the house that Bill (Elder), Garland (Robinette), Dennis (Woltering) and Angela (Hill) built. You can't ignore WWL and even with ownership changes, they're just too good and I agree.

It has more of an interest in its Fox affiliates (including KCPQ and KTVI, despite the latter no longer having a football team) and larger markets (besides WJW) than stations like WGNO. In fact, I'm not even sure WGNO deserves to keep the call letters based on a lack of viewership and poor ratings

It has more of an interest in its Fox affiliates (including KCPQ and KTVI, despite the latter no longer having a football team) and larger markets (besides WJW) than stations like WGNO. In fact, I'm not even sure WGNO deserves to keep the call letters based on a lack of viewership and poor ratings

Maybe they should change it to WNWU for Nobody Watches Us.

• Like 1

...WVUE has its weak moments, but has made a nice comeback recently and even closing in on WDSU in some timeslots; and WGNO is the ugly stepchild.

When WVUE was an ABC affiliate, it was stuck in third place. I guess ABC was/is a non-factor in New Orleans. From Wikipedia:

Throughout the 1970s and 1980s, the station consistently ranked at a distant third place in the ratings behind WWL-TV and WDSU-TV, even as ABC topped the national ratings for a time in the mid-1970s. One of the primary reasons for WVUE's third-place position was the station's heavy pre-emptions of network programs. For example, during much of the 1970s, WVUE preempted portions of ABC's daytime soap opera lineup and aired westerns, cartoons and off-network sitcoms in their place. Additionally, WVUE did not carry many of the network's Saturday morning cartoons, as well as American Bandstand. WVUE also pre-empted ABC's late night programming, which prior to the 1979 debut of Nightline, consisted of movies and reruns of primetime series. Viewers in the New Orleans market that wanted to see most of ABC's full schedule could watch the network's other affiliates in surrounding markets: WRBT (now WVLA) and later WBRZ from Baton Rouge, west of New Orleans, to WLOX from Biloxi, to the east, or to WAPT from Jackson, to the north.

Columbia Pictures sold WVUE to Oklahoma City-based Gaylord Broadcasting Company in 1977. Under the new ownership, WVUE reinstated ABC's entire lineup of daytime soaps to its schedule in the fall of 1978. In spite of ownership changes and programming modifications, WVUE was still unable to improve its standing in the ratings. WVUE started broadcasting 24 hours a day in June 1986, becoming the last commercial television station in New Orleans to transition to a round-the-clock schedule. When Gaylord Broadcasting began a gradual paring down of its station group in 1987 (which would not be completed until 1999), WVUE was sold to the Burnham Broadcasting Company. The station continued to underperform in the ratings into the 1990s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WVUE-DT

WSVN/Sunbeam and AT&T U-verse are at an impasse.

If no agreement is made by Saturday at 12:00 Midnight, WSVN goes off the air on AT&T U-verse. DirecTV, DISH, Comcast and Atlantic Broadband, as well as FREE OTA, will continue to carry and receive WSVN.

• Like 1