Gray Television - General Thread

The Frog

9 hours ago, PTVNews said:

I'm not sure if this was ever confirmed or not, but after reading this when posted, I've been on the lookout on KPTV for signs of change.

This past week they debuted new mic flags with the brand of "12 News", which is definitely new for them. Still uses similar styling. No other graphical or audible changes. Everyone is still tagging out with "FOX 12 Oregon". I'm guessing this probably is an indication of a larger branding change, (and in my opinion dumb), otherwise why the new mic flags? Maybe trying to introduce it slowly and fade out "FOX" slowly?

Screenshot2024-05-27at11_27_33PM.thumb.png.d3b74dea25a50bad9f7455ecc1615db8.png

They do have an awkward and unwieldy logo (the "12" is much wider than the "Fox") so simplifying it for the mic flag was a good idea.

Portland may also have a strong "anti-Fox" sentiment as well, so the less ties to the national news channel, the better.

But if Gray is separating network identity for their affiliates, it may be a very tough sell, especially for their longer-tenured affiliates that have co-branded for decades.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

When did WPCH-TV launched separate SD feed on 17.4? According to Wikipedia it aired almost same 17.1 content with no local news and CW programming, which is as same as the Canadian cable viewers gets.

Edited by LTSC1980

On 5/28/2024 at 10:41 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

They do have an awkward and unwieldy logo (the "12" is much wider than the "Fox") so simplifying it for the mic flag was a good idea.

Portland may also have a strong "anti-Fox" sentiment as well, so the less ties to the national news channel, the better.

But if Gray is separating network identity for their affiliates, it may be a very tough sell, especially for their longer-tenured affiliates that have co-branded for decades.

As someone in a "12 News" in my town with WISN, I can't object to this, it was known as Channel/TV 12 a whole lot longer on Fox, and as you said it's branding poison. At least for their roster of stations that moved to the Fox with the NFL in the 90s and the charters this might be harder to stomach like KVVU, WXIX and WHNS, but after 2000'ers like KPTV with that longboy logo are probably happy to let it go. They've done a great job transitioning WBRC to call letters first so I expect the same care to be taken with some of these stations, though the subs like WGGB-DT2 and WOVA-LD will be a bit harder to reconcile.