NBC10

allthatandmore

Alright let's talk about NBC10. What do you think about the recent changes in anchors? Who is the most overrated and underrated on air? Is that fact the NBC10 News is the only news outlet in the city not broadcasting in HD turn you off? If NBC10 "Turned to Bolaris" how much of an impact would he make? What do you think about the editorial content of the newscasts? How would you design a new set to take WCAU-TV in to the HD age? Could NBC10 ever beat Channel 6 again? I've got questions do you have answers?

Lets just say they will go HD by this fall because the o&o's are changing. Take KXAS NBC 5 in dallas - they are currently working on a set for them. Bolaris will also be back in town starting close to December. NBC 10 will revamp and go from there but for right now they are hurting and unprofessional looking

Let's get some quality journalism in there before we worry about going HD.

"You went through my panties and now I'm gonna put you on the news and do the same thing to youuu! Waaaaaa!"

What the hell? Who was the producer who said, "You know? That's a GREAT idea! I smell Murrow awards for this one!"?

John Facenda is rolling in his grave. :(

1)What do you think about the recent changes in anchors?

No need to keep changing them--the combinations you they had about a year ago was good

2)Who is the most overrated and underrated on air?

Tim Lake is over rated; I really like John Blunt...hes older, yeah, but hes one of my favorite anchors

3)Is that fact the NBC10 News is the only news outlet in the city not broadcasting in HD turn you off?

Whats turning me off is all the tabloid thats taken over the content--it's happening at all the stations, including Channel 6...News in a newscast...thats a concept!

4)If NBC10 "Turned to Bolaris" how much of an impact would he make?

John coming back to NBC10 would help, IMO. People like him, and they'll watch who they like...

5)What do you think about the editorial content of the newscasts?

In a Big market newscast, is their room for editorial? Just the facts is the way to go...

6)How would you design a new set to take WCAU-TV in to the HD age?

I would make it a nice sized set, not go over board with plasmas, and just try to have a simple, nice looking set that has room for some stand ups, but not just doing a stand up for the hell of it...

7)Could NBC10 ever beat Channel 6 again?

If they get the right combination channel 6 had--content and personality, yes. Right now, with all the changes, especially the 4PM show, it's bringing them down...

Lets just say they will go HD by this fall because the o&o's are changing. Take KXAS NBC 5 in dallas - they are currently working on a set for them.

Some things to ponder:

1. You can't base your assertion that WCAU is going to be doing news in HD by this fall on KXAS doing the same as we speak. Why, you ask? KXAS is co-owned with LIN. KXAS has deeper pockets than WCAU because of the co-ownership.

2. Beyond that, KXAS is the only NBC U O&O physically moving toward HD after WNBC. The move to HD news is inevitable, but the fact has already been consigned to that HD is just not in the budget for "NBC 2.0."

3. The fact that a rimshot independent station (read, WFMZ) is more HD-ready than WCAU should minister the sad gospel that is "10" to you.

Bolaris will also be back in town starting close to December.

4. There is no guarantee for Bolaris at all at WCAU per my friends "in the industry." They've been wrong, and 10 remains the odds-on favorite for Bolaris' near-term future, especially now that Kammerer has moved on, but this really is a wait and see deal.

NBC 10 will revamp and go from there but for right now they are hurting and unprofessional looking

5. Truth. WCAU, comparatively, is the saddest news op in the market. The shame is that the problems didn't necessarily originate at 10 Monument but instead at 30 Rock. The irony is that had 10 not been an O&O, namely an NBC O&O, they'd be in a much different position now.

(Damn you, Westinghouse! Damn you. -- Scott Brown)

No need to keep changing them--the combinations you they had about a year ago was good

We share suspicions. Perhaps this is part of the new iVillage powered All That and More?

Tim Lake is over rated; I really like John Blunt...hes older, yeah, but hes one of my favorite anchors

Agreed, though I'm told Blunt is rugged because of expectations of being further along at 10. I've run into him, and I've found him to be as abrasive as the reputation said he would be.

3)Is that fact the NBC10 News is the only news outlet in the city not broadcasting in HD turn you off?

Whats turning me off is all the tabloid thats taken over the content--it's happening at all the stations, including Channel 6...News in a newscast...thats a concept!

It's a fact of life in Philly, though, Nate, especially considering that the city averages 15.8 shootings/day.

John coming back to NBC10 would help, IMO. People like him, and they'll watch who they like...

Truth.

In a Big market newscast, is their room for editorial? Just the facts is the way to go...

Welcome to the minority.

I would make it a nice sized set, not go over board with plasmas, and just try to have a simple, nice looking set that has room for some stand ups, but not just doing a stand up for the hell of it...

Honestly -- and I'm really not one for this typically -- make it flashy as hell. Flats, stand-ups, and half naked women. You're not going to get PVI's demo, so you might as well try to beat out 29 at their own game once they start up The 11 or Newsedge or whatever they end up calling it here.

If they get the right combination channel 6 had--content and personality, yes. Right now, with all the changes, especially the 4PM show, it's bringing them down...

The short answer is "no." WCAU first needs to figure out how to stop beating themselves before they try to beat anyone else.

Shake things up. Some of the anchor teams have been bland and boring. Update the roster and start fresh. Bring in some new faces and talent.

Tim Lake is still over-rated to me, btu i don't really see a real succesor to take his place. Vince is good, but I know there are better ones out there.

Underrated, idk.

Yes. They're in need of a total upgrade. HD, graphics, set, formats, weather tools, music, etc....it seems like everything creativity-wise had been stiffled and this is the result and CBS 3 is the example of what could happen when u do things like that and actually spend money.

Major impact. Although 10 missed out on having another dynamic team since the Bolaris/Orr/Henely/"Hurricane" team of old, they should do well. They'll need to give him more time during weather, allow him to be creative, change some graphics (take a "Q" from these smaller market weather stations), get new equipment (live radar, futurecast models, etc.) and that'll help. He gets a head start on Kammerer and Tynan will be on leave.

They should fire the people that allow this stuff on there now to be on air. 10 should be way better than they are and the 17 news should be competing some with Fox 29. They must make improvements.

Just take the best features from sets that are considered the best in the nation and design arounfd that. The EathWatch Weather Center should be nice and inviting. Get an actual traffic center in there. The set itself should be nice, but not take away from the talent. A chopper shot of the Benny and skyline would be a cool backdrop that changes to night/dusk/day/dawn. Give the #1 sports team in the city a little place of their own, especially for when they do SF. Be creative is what I'm trying to get at.

If they do things right, then yes. 6 Doesn't have that much time left and I sense a shift coming soon. CBS 3 could be #1 soon, but if 10 does some smart things, they will.

6 Doesn't have that much time left and I sense a shift coming soon.

I love it when someone throws something like this out with nothing to back it up -- no demographic trends, no data, no historical reference.

Why do you say that WPVI doesn't have that much time left?

Is it because they have a crop of new, young talent that is genuinely gaining popularity in the age groups that will soon comprise the middle-age demo? I know stations that cultivate true talent that's still under 35 years of age usually end up flopping in the ratings, right?

Or is it because they executed one of the best switchovers to a new set and HD in the country?

Maybe it's because their iconic 70s era theme is known by everyone in the Delaware Valley from age 4 to age 94. (I know that's one us news geeks love to nitpick.)

Seriously, unless you really think the above to be true, what "sense" do you have to say that 6 being #1 is short for this world? Yes, CBS3 is gaining steam, absolutely, but WPVI is consistent for one thing: smart decisions. They have great talent, a solid production, and, truthfully, the best news op in market.

The one issue I'm having with 6 at the moment is that I'm not liking their style. I don't know what it is, but it's looking like they're taking some of the worst elements from 10 and 3 and taking them to extremes. I think they led with Lohan a few weeks ago when she got arrested - that really hit a sore spot with me. I think it's the fact that in some ways, 6 seems to be playing "me too" with the other stations in the market when it didn't do that previously. They had their own niche - straight-ahead, non-flashy news, and ran with it. There's still quite a few elements of that, but the newer, more tabloidey stuff tends to stick out.

Other than that, I do agree that 6 doesn't get enough credit. Now that it's been brought up, I DO think it's worth mentioning that they're cultivating quite a large bench of new reporters and talent that are beginning to hit their stride. Erin O'Hearn is star material. Adam Joseph looks like he'll be a nice compliment to Tynan and Roberts and will probably get a weekday slot when Roberts retires. Matt O'Donnell is severely underrated as morning anchor. And that's been probably their biggest strength - they cultivate the talent, like a baseball team does with its minor league system. With the exception of one anchor (Tamala Edwards), *all* of the weekday talent has been at the station of a significant length of time, and many of them "moved up" when needed. Tynan started at weekends, then moved to mornings, then to evenings. Williams and Malpass went from mornings to 5pm in brilliant manner.

So I have issues with the product right now, but there's no denying that they do have strengths in areas a lot of people overlook. I still think they have the best gfx in town, for instance. I'd argue with the best switchover to HD/new set, though. In this market, knowing what WPVI's look has historically been, and how good their competitors have historically looked compared to them, that's saying a lot.

10... 10 I'll save for another post.

I'd argue with the best switchover to HD/new set, though.

Some clarification: I'm saying comparatively -- few delays, excellent set, very smooth, good execution.

In that context, then yeah, they did good, much better than the "let's half-ass it then not bother to promote it until we get the elements right" approach TXF took, or the "OMG WE'RE IN HD NOW WATCH US PLZ" tack that WCBS, WUSA, and a lot of other stations have taken. I like the fact that they're not overwhelming us with the

Honestly, the best one to switch I think was KYW. Yeah, there were delays, and yeah, there were and are some image problems, but considering they basically moved an entire operation in a weekend to probably the most state of the art local broadcasting facilities in the country, they did a *damn* fine job. Even more impressive was the sheer amount of things they got right in switching - most of the newscast is HD, not just studio shots (field reports are filmed in HD, I belive, just the live shots are SD - and even then they're in 16x9), editing is evidently done on Blu-Ray, and the graphics and newsroom got significant upgrades. (I wouldn't say the set, because it's so plain and nondescript) Even if you don't like the content, you have to give them praise with doing so much and getting it working right so soon.

The one issue I'm having with 6 at the moment is that I'm not liking their style. I don't know what it is, but it's looking like they're taking some of the worst elements from 10 and 3 and taking them to extremes. I think they led with Lohan a few weeks ago when she got arrested - that really hit a sore spot with me. I think it's the fact that in some ways, 6 seems to be playing "me too" with the other stations in the market when it didn't do that previously. They had their own niche - straight-ahead, non-flashy news, and ran with it. There's still quite a few elements of that, but the newer, more tabloidey stuff tends to stick out.

Well put, I think 6abc isn't given enough credit for overall news production, talent and presentation, but I also have noticed too much of the tabloid elements coming into the production. It's no longer the big story on Action News but either a breaking news or developing story graphic right out of the theme and it seems almost before every piece. It's too much when before they were the lead station and now seem to be following 3 and 10. I would hope they would get back to basics and let the news be the focus and not gfx.

Ever since the change at 4pm to "all that and more" and the other changes to all their newscasts I think 10 is on a long downward spiral, weak talent, weak presentation, and now behind 29 overall in their newscasts. Hardly watchable and in dire need of a management shakeup.

I seem to watch 10 over 3 in the morning. Channel 3 seems stale to me in the morning. Bob Kelly ( uber Philly) just gets to me with the donut thing and Ukee Washington's comments some time ago as he would go to break saying " Good Morning Family" made me hurl.

I guess I just don't relate that much that I consider my newscasters family

Anyone ever think Bill Henley could move to evenings? I mean how many years can you stand waking up at 3:30 before it gets old?

6 Doesn't have that much time left and I sense a shift coming soon.

I love it when someone throws something like this out with nothing to back it up -- no demographic trends, no data, no historical reference.

Why do you say that WPVI doesn't have that much time left?

Is it because they have a crop of new, young talent that is genuinely gaining popularity in the age groups that will soon comprise the middle-age demo? I know stations that cultivate true talent that's still under 35 years of age usually end up flopping in the ratings, right?

Or is it because they executed one of the best switchovers to a new set and HD in the country?

Maybe it's because their iconic 70s era theme is known by everyone in the Delaware Valley from age 4 to age 94. (I know that's one us news geeks love to nitpick.)

Seriously, unless you really think the above to be true, what "sense" do you have to say that 6 being #1 is short for this world? Yes, CBS3 is gaining steam, absolutely, but WPVI is consistent for one thing: smart decisions. They have great talent, a solid production, and, truthfully, the best news op in market.

HAHA, you're right. I don't have all the "stats" because I'm just passing a comment that I think called an opinion. And notice I used the word sense. A feeling if you will.

I agree with alot of people here that 6 has some great young talent and will shine here, especially Tynan and Joseph. I think they'll make a great tag-team and will be once Roberts retires. 3 is making a run and they're going all out. Mendte, who u know will stop at nothing to surpass 6, Orr, Kammerer, and others over at 3 are hungry enough to do it. 35 years or so of being #1, awesome, but that has to break sometime, even if it's only for a year or so. That's why I say that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing 6, cause they're nice, but all good things must come to an end, even if it goes into a horse race.

Anyone ever think Bill Henley could move to evenings? I mean how many years can you stand waking up at 3:30 before it gets old?

I thought about that too. He's extremely popular in the mornings; the #1 weather person in the morning. That would be a tricky move, but if you can replace Bill with say a Julie Chin (KJRH) or another fine morning person who's fun and do a great job forecasting, then yeah, explore the options.

HAHA, you're right. I don't have all the "stats" because I'm just passing a comment that I think called an opinion. And notice I used the word sense. A feeling if you will.

You miss the problem: you offered an opinion with nothing to back it up.

It's great this is how you feel. Why do you feel that way? What makes you think that WPVI is bound to become the city's new number 2 or 3 or 4?

(An aside, you only used "sense" as part of the second half of your compound sentence, leaving the first half to appear as fact. Mind you, I was well aware the entirety was your opinion in large part due to my intellectual fortitude, though. Please see my above comments regarding your opinion and its place in the discussion here.)

I agree with alot of people here that 6 has some great young talent and will shine here, especially Tynan and Joseph. I think they'll make a great tag-team and will be once Roberts retires. 3 is making a run and they're going all out. Mendte, who u know will stop at nothing to surpass 6, Orr, Kammerer, and others over at 3 are hungry enough to do it. 35 years or so of being #1, awesome, but that has to break sometime, even if it's only for a year or so. That's why I say that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing 6, cause they're nice, but all good things must come to an end, even if it goes into a horse race.

Your comment here would have been great 2 years ago. The problem is it's already been a "horse race" between 6 and 3, and while 3 had made tremendous strides against 6, WPVI has continued to beat them out.

To me that suggests that something greater than "all good things must come to an end" has to come into play in order for 3/10/29 to somehow whittle even more away from 6.

And honestly, I don't know that Mendte wants nothing else than to beat 6. If that were the case, wouldn't he have stayed at 10 for less money and anchored the then number one 11PM newscast?

Seems to me he's more driven by money, which isn't that bad of a pursuit, than the goal of dethroning Goldman.

You miss the problem: you offered an opinion with nothing to back it up.

It's great this is how you feel. Why do you feel that way? What makes you think that WPVI is bound to become the city's new number 2 or 3 or 4?

(An aside, you only used "sense" as part of the second half of your compound sentence, leaving the first half to appear as fact. Mind you, I was well aware the entirety was your opinion in large part due to my intellectual fortitude, though. Please see my above comments regarding your opinion and its place in the discussion here.)

Your comment here would have been great 2 years ago. The problem is it's already been a "horse race" between 6 and 3, and while 3 had made tremendous strides against 6, WPVI has continued to beat them out.

To me that suggests that something greater than "all good things must come to an end" has to come into play in order for 3/10/29 to somehow whittle even more away from 6.

And honestly, I don't know that Mendte wants nothing else than to beat 6. If that were the case, wouldn't he have stayed at 10 for less money and anchored the then number one 11PM newscast?

Seems to me he's more driven by money, which isn't that bad of a pursuit, than the goal of dethroning Goldman.

you know, i'm kinda sick and tired of u thinking u're the high and mighty authority over all around here. look, i just wrote what i wrote. i didn't know that u were my teacher or dad or something and needed to have an explanation for everything. just take it or leave it! alright?!those were my sentiments...."6 Doesn't have that much time left and I sense a shift coming soon. CBS 3 could be #1 soon, but if 10 does some smart things, they will."...a feeling in my observations that..."35 years or so of being #1, awesome, but that has to break sometime, even if it's only for a year or so. That's why I say that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing 6, cause they're nice, but all good things must come to an end, even if it goes into a horse race."...horse race meaning dead heat like 10 and 6 were a while back, not 2 rating points or w/e it was. so my comment is relevant now....and yeah, larry left for more money, but i heard/read somewhere a long while back that he did also for the freedom to get from under 10's new boring style that's been going downhill since they peaked. but he wants to be #1 in this city. it's his city! lol! and no i don't have facts to back that up alright. but we know it's true. sammy, look, i know u wanna flaunt ur higher knowledge, but leave peeps alone when they post their opinion. post urz and be done with it man. cause what u're doing isn't cool.

you know, i'm kinda sick and tired of u thinking u're the high and mighty authority over all around here. look, i just wrote what i wrote. i didn't know that u were my teacher or dad or something and needed to have an explanation for everything.

First, I certainly don't claim to be the "high and mighty authority over all around here." I only want to engage in thoughtful and meaningful conversation. While this may be your opinion, it's unfair to come against me with something such as this simply because I called you out for wielding weak opinions.

I have no problem respecting your opinion if you take the time to explain to me why you feel that way. I disagree with plenty of people here, and I still respect what they bring to the table because they're willing to come to us all with their knowledge and factual backing.

All I and others ask is that you take the same care in offering opinions as we do. Otherwise this site would be naught but wild claims and assertions about this that and the other.

just take it or leave it! alright?!

I chose to take it, and I attempted a respectful discourse with you. Never once did I attack you or your opinion in a harsh way. I noted that I dislike when someone wantonly throws out something with nothing to back it up. When you challenged me about that, I explained to you further what my problem was. Sure I may have done it in a smart-assy way, but certainly you should not have taken that and returned to me with such vitriol because of that.

those were my sentiments...."6 Doesn't have that much time left and I sense a shift coming soon. CBS 3 could be #1 soon, but if 10 does some smart things, they will."...a feeling in my observations that..."35 years or so of being #1, awesome, but that has to break sometime, even if it's only for a year or so. That's why I say that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing 6, cause they're nice, but all good things must come to an end, even if it goes into a horse race."

Again, you continue to offer no substance as to why you feel the way that you do. Maybe point to talent changes, ratings ups and downs, decisions that were made, et cetera. What is it about 3 that makes it better than 6? Go from there and tell us why you think 3 is finally going to do it.

The argument that it's just about time that 6 falls from the top spot is weak, and you know that.

...horse race meaning dead heat like 10 and 6 were a while back, not 2 rating points or w/e it was. so my comment is relevant now....

I don't see how. Your scenario has been playing out for the past 2 or 3 years now, first with 10 and 6 and now with 3 and 6.

6 has continued to be the ratings leader.

My point was that 6 has excelled beyond your projection of events in actuality and that 3/10/29 need to do more than what they're doing now to get over the hump.

and yeah, larry left for more money, but i heard/read somewhere a long while back that he did also for the freedom to get from under 10's new boring style that's been going downhill since they peaked. but he wants to be #1 in this city. it's his city! lol! and no i don't have facts to back that up alright. but we know it's true.

He was number one at 10. That's why I can't buy your theory unless you can show me an article. Do that, and your argument is automatically more valid than mine.

sammy, look, i know u wanna flaunt ur higher knowledge

Please don't stereotype me simply because I set high standards in how I choose to communicate with other people. I flaunt nothing, and I would be more than willing to receive similar critique were I on the wrong side of an argument as you are.

but leave peeps alone when they post their opinion. post urz and be done with it man. cause what u're doing isn't cool.

I'm sure we've all heard the adage about what opinions are like...

Look, it's great that you have this opinion of me, but when someone enters into a conversation I'm a part of and throws out a statement with nothing to back it up, reacts as you do when the opinion is challenged, and then demands that I avoid their opinion all together, I'm truly left feeling vindicated.

I'm still waiting to hear why you think 6 is going down the pooper.

Not sure they keep changing them because it seems to have no effect.

Tim Lake is so bland it's almost like he's not there. I don't think he ever would have gotten that slot if Mendte hadn't left. Renee Chanault-Fattah just annoys me, esepcially since she tried to wriggle around her husband's financial disclosure, even after the station gave her the go-ahead. Don't trust her. Tracey Davidson was good on the news, in short bursts. All That & More is an unwatchable mess and she is just working WAY too hard to be perky and likable. All that said, Lori Wilson is a future star in the making, like Bill Henley alot. In fact, 10! is the best thing they've got going, and it isn't even news! Denisa Nakano is very good as well, and I think Dementri should get the main anchor slot.

Although HD sales are up this year, it doesn't have enough market penetration to make a significant ratings impact. Less than 10% of the people I know have moved up to HD.

None. People have short memories. Action News is a juggernant, adding Bolaris back into the mix will make no significant impact.

More tabloidy, more sensationalism. They all show essentially the same news, so it's down to the personalities, and NBC10 is noticably lacking. And all the "we got it first" and silly "NBC10 Investigators" crap just makes me laugh. I don't care who got a story first. I care who got it right and who reported it the best.

Their current set is fine.

With the right talent and momentum, sure. But it's not all in their hands, either. They need a stronger lead-in from the network, or it's never going to happen. As long as NBC's ratings are in the toilet, NBC10 is not going to rise.

• 3 weeks later...

How would you make the transition to HD in you were in charge for NBC10? Do you think being full HD in the studio and in the field is important? Would you do it like WNBC in New York including similar set design, graphics and bugs?

Uh...hell yes?

While we're at it can we clone Chuck and Sue and give the boot to Tim and Renee?

Archived