9/11/01 Coverage

NewsMan

Well of course as many would expect, here in New York, where the tragedy began on that terrible morning, every major local station (2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 41, 47) carried it. So it was done nicely. Of course it was sad, it was and always will be a terrible day forever now, but all of the major television stations here in New York carried it live.

-Vlad

While I don't know who anchored in Cleveland, here's what I do remember:

WKYC moved loacal newscasts to WVPX while NBC provided a lot of coverage (back then WVPX, the Cleveland-Akron Pax/i/Ion channel, had no newscats, so WKYC volunteered to do so.

WEWS simply shifted between ABC News and local reports.

WJW ?

WOIO switched between CBS News and local reports.

WVIZ (PBS) ?

WUAB (sister station of WOIO) aired continious CNN coverage.

WNEO/WEAO (another PBS) relied on BBC News.

WBNX actually simulcast reports from WPIX.

WQHS (former Home Shopping Network channel, now Univision station) provided coverage from News World International.

I remember watching WITI and FOX News channel at school. WITI used the WakeUp anchors when it first broke.

I can also remember vividly watching Joyce Garbaciac (Who was at WITI at the time, now at WISN) and Ted Perry (?) that evening. The screen was split in two with FOX Network coverage in the lower left corner and local stuff in the upper right. I think the "America Under Attack" graphic was in the upper left.

I want to start getting tapes of local stations 9/11 coverage from that day.

WESH - NBC News and Local Segments

WKCF - WPIX

WKMG - CBS News and Local Segments

WFTV - ABC News and Local Segments

WOFL - CNN and Local Segments (they may have had used Fox News as well, but they used CNN heavily during when Meredith owned them)

WRBW - Fox News

I don't remember who the anchors were locally, but I remember WAVY sent Andy Fox up to the Pentagon.

With WAVY and WVEC, I think probably same as now (minus Les Smith, in WAVY's case)

I think shortly afterward, WVEC caught up with former anchor Cynthia Lima; who (not quite sure) was working near the NYC area for an interview.

i know at KTUU our main anchors were out of town at the RTNDA awards ceremony, so it was James Brown (really his name, he is an anchor at WHIO now) and Megan Stapleton. at KIMO it was Ty Hardt, i don't know about KTVA

And here in Fairbanks, it was Bob Miller and Ann Secrest at KTVF.

Jonathan Allen

Archived