Nightly's new open

alaskanews

NBC Nightly News no longer has the "fly through time" open with the former anchors flying by. It starts with Brian and an OTS graphic talking about whats coming up on Nightly. He says at the end, "Nightly News is next." Brian also no longer stands for the first block, which they have been doing for years. I personally think the new way they do the open sucks, it's conforming to what ABC and CBS does. For KTUU it f*cks up how we toss to Nightly, John used to turn to a plasma screen at the end of the 5 and watch the first few seconds of the open before going to Nightly full. Now it is kind of awkward, because we used to have a little wiggle room in case we didn't hit the time just right, now if we go over by a few seconds, you've missed the first sentence or so.

WPMI's newscasts also go seamlessly to "NBC Nightly News" (from plasma screen to full screen) and is the only station in the area to do so for the sake of keeping viewers a little while longer. It was a mistake for "NBC Nightly News" to follow the other network newscasts when it comes to beginning the program.

NBC Nightly News no longer has the "fly through time" open with the former anchors flying by. It starts with Brian and an OTS graphic talking about whats coming up on Nightly. He says at the end, "Nightly News is next." Brian also no longer stands for the first block, which they have been doing for years. I personally think the new way they do the open sucks, it's conforming to what ABC and CBS does. For KTUU it f*cks up how we toss to Nightly, John used to turn to a plasma screen at the end of the 5 and watch the first few seconds of the open before going to Nightly full. Now it is kind of awkward, because we used to have a little wiggle room in case we didn't hit the time just right, now if we go over by a few seconds, you've missed the first sentence or so.

I wondered when someone was going to create a thread about this ....

Anyway, I'm with you guys, I don't like it either. I love the "fly through time" intro and how The Mission theme fits into it. I'm thinking it will come back soon with a new intro.

-- Matt

The only change I would make would probably be some intro graphic into him if they are keeping this, the instant-to-anchor thing doesn't work that well in my own opinion. Still, a full-fledged intro would be nice again, but who knows what they'll do.

Archived