Is KABC Getting Their Graphics Updated?

ABC7 Los Angeles

Just wondering if anyone knows if ABC7 is getting a graphics update soon. I ask because last night they showed on their time and temp graphic that they always show at the 30 minute mark of every newscast had very different background. I wasn't the usual 2D ABC7 logo moving around, it was an actual 3D ABC7 logo very different to the one in the open. I just go a good look at and it is indeed a new graphic background. I don't have a DVR but I'll get a shot of it on my phone later. Lol, and if anyone was watching the time and temperature was hovering over the anchors heads for about 30 seconds after the bumper open was played.

-ABC7 Los Angeles

Well, since they have not updated their opens and promos yet to reflect the Brown/Tuzee and Ono/Leyva swap, it might be a sign of something. Then again, it might just be one of those slight updates like the change of the lower thirds at the end of the newscast.

Yea. I think they will be updating their L3's and bug soon, because I just saw a promo and the new ABC7 logo has 3D glossy look just like the ABC network logo. Here is a screenshot of the new logo!

newlogonb2.jpg

Kinda like the new logo that WABC is supposedly gonna get. Looks pretty nice. ;)

Yea. I think they will be updating their L3's and bug soon, because I just saw a promo and the new ABC7 logo has 3D glossy look just like the ABC network logo. Here is a screenshot of the new logo!

newlogonb2.jpg

There was a promo on WLS tonight that used a similar logo too.

newlogonb2.jpg

kim possible.

both stations use different ABC 7 logos.

newlogonb2.jpg

kim possible.

both stations use different ABC 7 logos.

small_orly_owl.jpg

It was the WLS logo with the (7) in the style of the one posted above.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting....Maybe ABC7 will go 1080i widescreen, rather than the current 720p HD, similar to what WFAA in DFW is doing. For one of those really big expensive televisions, rather than the 300-500 720p sets.

"ABC7 can kick your stations ass!(rock and roll music playing in the backround)" ;D

I don't really like that new logo...too much shine & shading on the 7 and it makes it very distracting.

Go on their website so you can see a large version of it, if you haven't already.

I did & I still find it distracting. ;D

Interesting....Maybe ABC7 will go 1080i widescreen, rather than the current 720p HD, similar to what WFAA in DFW is doing. For one of those really big expensive televisions, rather than the 300-500 720p sets.

"ABC7 can kick your stations ass!(rock and roll music playing in the backround)" ;D

What about

"ABC7 is kicking KNBC's ass, while KCBS/KCAL are mopping the floor with KABC"

Interesting....Maybe ABC7 will go 1080i widescreen, rather than the current 720p HD, similar to what WFAA in DFW is doing.

Won't happen. ABC HD is always in 720p, except for Hearst-Argyle and Belo-owned stations which convert everything to 1080i. For stations with relatively new HD encoders, the difference between 1080i and 720p isn't really that noticeable.

Interesting....Maybe ABC7 will go 1080i widescreen, rather than the current 720p HD, similar to what WFAA in DFW is doing.

Won't happen. ABC HD is always in 720p, except for Hearst-Argyle and Belo-owned stations which convert everything to 1080i. For stations with relatively new HD encoders, the difference between 1080i and 720p isn't really that noticeable.

That's right, if they were to go HD, then the whole network would have to switch to 1080i or 1080p. Bear in mind that some stations have 1080i HD equipment as caliwxdude stated, however its the station's network (the ABC HD channel) that downgrades the signal to 720p, So there is very little if any difference at all.

That's right, if they were to go HD, then the whole network would have to switch to 1080i or 1080p.

1080p over broadcast television is years, if not decades away. The current ATSC system does not have nearly enough bandwidth to carry a 1080p signal. It might if broadcasters move to MPEG4 compression, but that's still in the talking phase.

I haven't seen anything new yet....I guess we will have to wait until Feb. Sweeps.

Traditionally, KABC unveils its new graphics/music/etc either in September, during when the new tv season begins....or during Feb, sweeps, especially when ABC airs the SuperBowl.

Case in point; KABC went HD around SuperBowl Weekend 2006 and introduced a new set in September 1998.

I haven't seen anything new yet....I guess we will have to wait until Feb. Sweeps.

Traditionally, KABC unveils its new graphics/music/etc either in September, during when the new tv season begins....or during Feb, sweeps, especially when ABC airs the SuperBowl.

Case in point; KABC went HD around SuperBowl Weekend 2006 and introduced a new set in September 1998.

I did notice they had a new background during their abc7.com graphic. I only saw it at a glance and didn't see any details.

Archived