The best news logo, bar none...

srosenow_98

...I'd have to say, would be this one...

KOMO_1989_1991.JPG

It's a graphic recreation of KOMO TV's "KOMO NEWS 4" opening graphic from 1990. Hands down, IMO, the best looking logo ever...

Feel free to post any of your own if you wish.

then going along with your style of thinking, so is KMOV and KDFW's old logo! :D :)

I say that because thery're all the same logo except for KDFW's, it was a circle not a square.

Not a bad logo, but there have been so many more creative logos.

Exactly....calling this logo the "best" is pure (stealing a term from the Brit-wannabes) bollocks!

There are much better logos out there....like WAVY's "10", WTVT's stylized "13", WFOR's 90s logo, etc. This old KOMO is generic and hardly the best.

Generic? I think to appreciate it you have to see how the animation of it went before you can truly criticize it. Also, keep in mind that this is from 1990, and graphics of this vintage are what we now consider "ancient" by standards.

I didn't post this thread to have it totally bashed, nor to generate harsh criticism.

Sammy Horn: Happily making misinformed users pWnt since 2007.

srosenow_98:

First, the directory where the image you provided is found, here, is obviously nothing -- NOTHING -- but mocks. While the items found there are reasonable facsimiles, nothing in there is actually taken and presented directly from the air (except for a couple of vintage shots -- like 3 of them).

So then, here you are presenting something that was never even used on air -- something like it may have been on air, but it's a mock -- and then getting upset at us for finding it unremarkable.

Shame.

For the sake of parity, I present a KOMO open from the era your mock is claimed to be from.

[yt=425,350]TbQ7jiKQesM[/yt]

Again, wildly unremarkable.

Though, points for being an obsessive fanboy for something other then WABC.

Not a bad logo, but there have been so many more creative logos.

Exactly....calling this logo the "best" is pure (stealing a term from the Brit-wannabes) bollocks!

There are much better logos out there....like WAVY's "10", WTVT's stylized "13", WFOR's 90s logo, etc. This old KOMO is generic and hardly the best.

Generic? I think to appreciate it you have to see how the animation of it went before you can truly criticize it. Also, keep in mind that this is from 1990, and graphics of this vintage are what we now consider "ancient" by standards.

I didn't post this thread to have it totally bashed, nor to generate harsh criticism.

If we were talking 1985, you may have something to talk about.

I will say this much, I just looked the station up on Wikipedia, and that logo looks much better than the current logo.

So then, here you are presenting something that was never even used on air -- something like it may have been on air, but it's a mock -- and then getting upset at us for finding it unremarkable.

He could have always linked to this...

120px-KOMO_1987_1998.JPG

For the sake of parity, I present a KOMO open from the era your mock is claimed to be from.

The logo animation is nothing special, but I like the many rounded squares with video in them.

I def. wouldn't stoop him up to WABC-fanboy level... that might change if he posts Connie Thompson rants or how Kathi Goertzen's hair looked last night.

Sammy Horn: Happily making misinformed users pWnt since 2007.

srosenow_98:

First, the directory where the image you provided is found, here, is obviously nothing -- NOTHING -- but mocks. While the items found there are reasonable facsimiles, nothing in there is actually taken and presented directly from the air (except for a couple of vintage shots -- like 3 of them).

Shame.

Again, wildly unremarkable.

Though, points for being an obsessive fanboy for something other then WABC.

First off, you guys are very rude. Secondly, that was a KOMO clip that I uploaded. Thirdly, I am not an "uninformed" person; I know the ins and outs of KOMO TV (and the station's history) probably better than anyone here in this forum. Fourth, the graphic rendition I uploaded and posted in this thread was of a KOMO graphic and opening that they DID use, so do NOT call me a liar. if you need me to, I can gladly post a screenshot of the actual deal, but be forewarned it came from a video with bad recording quality.

Also, they are not "mocks" and that directory happens to be the same one that hosts my non-TV news related website. those are faithful and very accurate renditions of the actual KOMO on-screen graphics sourced from years of video recordings and clips that I have on tape personally. They're just as accurate, and I spent countless hours working on them. I find the elitist attitude you guys have to be very offensive and is one reason why I left the TV news hobby several years ago.

Get to freakin' know me before you start to judge me, a'ight?

Enough said.

First off, we were just stating that there is absolutely nothing special about KOMO's logo. Secondly, no shit. Thirdly, what time did Connie Thompson take a dump yesterday? Fourth, we don't care.

I think you may have just pissed off the Big Shooter.

First off, we were just stating that there is absolutely nothing special about KOMO's logo. Secondly, no shit. Thirdly, what time did Connie Thompson take a dump yesterday? Fourth, we don't care.

I think you may have just pissed off the Big Shooter.

What did I do now? :(

Gosh, be the least bit nice to new members... as he said, know someone before you judge them. He certainly doesn't know what kind of person you really are.

ntropolis: Uh, no one was judging anyone.

srosenow_98: Please point to the part of my post where I called you a liar?

I gave you the benefit of the doubt, and assumed that you simply were using a graphic that you believed to be authentic -- hence my saying that you were uninformed. I did not suggest that you knowingly presented an unauthentic graphic.

Though, I guess you did do that, but I'm still not going to call you a liar.

And "faithful and very accurate renditions of the actual KOMO on-screen graphics" are still mocks. Anything that's not the real thing is a mock.

Also, I most certainly noticed that you were the one who uploaded that clip I used to YouTube -- why didn't you use that in your original post?

And, personally, I'd absolutely love to see some stuff from your collection that's actually from previous broadcasts -- no matter what the quality.

I appreciate the time you put into making up your mocks; put them on the Graphics Dept. board for people there to appreciate. Attention to detail is loved there.

I'm not judging you though -- really, if you feel I have, please tell me how so!

Fairly noted. I just felt unduly criticized for what "I" felt was the best news graphics open (IMHO, KOMO had the best news opens in their history back in the very early '90s). It's not to say that I wouldn't go out and outright bash another thread (because I'm not that type of person to do so), in fact I invited people to post their own "best open" in this very thread.

As for calling them "mocks", I guess the hobby has changed somewhat. Where I come from, they were never referred to as "mocks." The term "mock" itself holds a derogatory connotation, and is used when someone is mimicking someone/something else in a negative or sarcastic tone.

As for an actual screenshot? Here ya go.

1991KOMO_News.JPG

One more...

snapshot20050726065928.jpg The intro logo to KOMO News, ca. 1994. Intro voiceover was done by Ernie Anderson.

And one last one...

snapshot20050726071920.jpg

The "KOMO NEWS 4" lower 3rd, at the top of the newscast (from a newscast in June of 1994). Gotta love the classic simplicity of this set. I had a chance to see it in person before they got rid of it.

Best news logo, bar none...maybe for the Seattle area.

Agreed.

srosenow_98:

Definition of "mock":

an imitation; counterfeit; fake

By definition, mock certainly does not have a negative connotation inherently. Not to say that it can't -- indeed, alternate definitions provide for a derisive use of mockery -- but by definition your detailed imitations are indeed mocks.

Archived