CBS 4 Boston is dumping the Cbs mandate.

sg9018

http://business.bostonherald.com/businessNews/view.bg?articleid=168292

http://boston.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2006/11/06/story5.html

"Channel 4 will drop its current CBS4 moniker in favor of its original and venerable WBZ name early next year in a bid to increase its clout among Boston viewers, Ed Piette, the station’s president and general manager, said yesterday."

Ed Piette WBZ president will drop the cbs mandate and will go back as Wbz 4 Boston. WBZ name will come back in early 2007.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is really great news. I wonder if any other CBS O&Os (that are currently under the mandate) will drop it.

WFRV (the CBS O&O in Green Bay, WI) has seen a significant ratings drop since they began following the CBS mandate. They should switch back to their old branding of "Channel 5" and "Channel 5 Eyewitness News".

This is great for WBZ! Nice to hear this news.

This is really great news. I wonder if any other CBS O&Os (that are currently under the mandate) will drop it.

WFRV (the CBS O&O in Green Bay, WI) has seen a significant ratings drop since they began following the CBS mandate. They should switch back to their old branding of "Channel 5" and "Channel 5 Eyewitness News".

KDKA should go back to "KDKA-TV News" and "The Hometown Advantage".

Kdka is still using the Kdka-tv News name. I think it is great news for wbz also. I think this move will connect better with the history of this great Boston station and it sister stations in Boston (Wbz News radio and WSBK tv 38)

Kdka is still using the Kdka-tv News name. I think it is great news for wbz also. I think this move will connect better with the history of this great Boston station and it sister stations in Boston (Wbz News radio and WSBK tv 38)

Ah, that's right... they are. My bad :p The old Group W logo was better.

Good move by WBZ...

As far as the Group W stations, KYW is the only other one to switch networks and later follow CBS's branding mandate. KPIX, like the aforementioned KDKA, was already CBS at the time of the sale. I'd say one of them may be next.

It's generally assumed that 'BZ will make the rebrand in time for First Night coverage at the end of next month.

It will be interesting to see if they brand back to 'Eyewitness News' and drop VNP I/Newstime.

And lastly, return to the Group W "4". Or the (slightly similar) "Circle 4 Ranch" one.

I dunno if KPIX or KYW would switch back. For KPIX, their brand equity was never with the calls as much as the other Group W stations (though to be fair, it was used - primarily for their website). In fact, they identified as "Channel 5" up 'til a few years ago when they switched to network/number, and even then it was just a matter of changing the voiceover.

KYW is a different case. Honestly, it's hard to call. There IS history and knowledge with the KYW calls - the newsradio station is a monster here - but it's mostly on the radio side. They tried to link the two together a few years ago, but it really didn't seem to work out. On the other hand... CBS has a strong identity here. Before the switchover in 1995, WCAU basically wrapped itself in the CBS look. The 10 was seen alongside the eye, they used CBS' news philosophy, and they used the CBS O&O theme music. The music WAS popular here - when KYW switched to News in Focus, the newspapers made mention of it, and noted that the theme was similar to what WCAU used before the switch.

Guest Junk Junk

Amen... I hate when the corporate suits make mandates, not knowing what a market is all about.

Mandates suck donkey ballz. Stations should maintain their individuality.

Are you listening, FOX/News Corp?!!!

Jeez.

Amen... I hate when the corporate suits make mandates, not knowing what a market is all about.

Jeez.

The network mandates are stupid. They however, do not suck donkey ballz.

Jeez.

Agreed, and (if I could) Karma point to the both of you.

Are you listening, NBC?

Guest Junk Junk

I wonder if the CTV O&O's in Canada will follow suit next. I'd like to see "CTV Toronto" become CFTO once again.

Jonathan Allen

What's a Canada?

Rhymes with...Kanada?

Just messin' with ya

:p

Jeez.

Agreed, and (if I could) Karma point to the both of you.

Are you listening, NBC?

Just make one more post and THEN you can start awarding karma points.

I should also mention that WFRV in Green Bay has been using their call-letters more prominently since they changed their graphics earlier this year. The station still brands themselves as 'CBS 5', but 'Channel 5' is now being used informally on their newscasts from time-to-time. Their opening to all of their newscasts starts out "From WFRV-TV...".

I don't think we will be seeing Eyewitness News in Green Bay anytime soon, though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GForceTV

I wonder what the logo will look like.

I have a mock-up, but the Net's acting strange right now and I can't upload it to Imageshack.

• 1 month later...

Archived