CBS 4 Boston is dumping the Cbs mandate.

sg9018

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's too KDKA and therefore disappointing and uninspired. Sorry, Boston people.

Actually... i find it to be a cross between WCCO and KDKA.. in terms of font and how its presented. Looks nice IMO.. then again.. im stuck in bland Southern California where most stations dont call themselves by their names.. with the one and only KTLA being the exception. Still.. im glad they are now known as WBZ once again. Just bring back the Group W 4 and were set.

NW :)

Anyone think they'll change music? That WCCO theme sounds like something that would fit with the logo, and their old GM used to be WCCO's GM.

I think that may be the new theme. The station has been airing a quick billboard for the 'Keller at Large' political segment that sounds like the WCCO theme.

I think it's too KDKA and therefore disappointing and uninspired. Sorry, Boston people.

I disagree. It's slick, classy, and contemporary. I think it fits the market.

However, the next person that wants the Group W font to come back in ANY form ought to be smacked. CBS has done everything to remove all vestiges of Group W from its stations. It ain't coming back. Ever.

I love the new logo! It is very modern, but still has a 'classic' look about it.

As far as the Group W font goes, I know we all love it, but it is just too old looking to be used anymore.

Are they getting a new graphic package, or are they just going to slap the WBZ logo where the CBS 4 logo was?

I was up there last week and they hadn't made any on-air changes yet.

I'll be back in a couple of weeks and I'll get some video of 7 News at 10 on CW56 (they use WSVN graphics & music), 7 News' new graphics, and WBZ's new graphics (if they have them by then)

CBS has done everything to remove all vestiges of Group W from its stations.

Except on KPIX and WJZ.

Also a VERY interesting observation between KPIX and WJZ:

KPIX's graphics are LIGHTYEARS ahead of WJZ. Always have, always will.

When I head to northern California on vacation March 10th, I can't wait to see KPIX. Same goes for KCRA, with them heading HD :p

-- Matt

I disagree. It's slick, classy, and contemporary. I think it fits the market.

However, the next person that wants the Group W font to come back in ANY form ought to be smacked. CBS has done everything to remove all vestiges of Group W from its stations. It ain't coming back. Ever.

*shields face* I do want the Group W font back. I don't understand why CBS made such a push to get rid of it. Heritage is not such a bad thing. It beats the HELL out of whatever freefonts.com version of Eurostile KDKA uses ad nauseum.

You can see a preview of their very plain, boring, dull new graphics on wbztv.com -- just click the forecast video.

The new WBZ graphics look just like WBBM and KDKA graphics. I wonder how the rest of WBZ local spin or version on the graphics will look like.

You can see a preview of their very plain, boring, dull new graphics on wbztv.com -- just click the forecast video.

The new WBZ graphics look just like WBBM and KDKA graphics. I wonder how the rest of WBZ local spin or version on the graphics will look like.

Except much nicer then KD's. Our graphics department is run by a bunch of people with cataracts...

Actually, they look quite nice, a bit more minimalistic, but nice! Nice to see they used the "new CBS font" we've been seeing in promos on CBS and The CW lately

I also like WBZ's new logo and graphics, I also think they should use that logo for WWJ in Detroit.

I also agree. Maybe if WWJ used that logo, The tv station will connect better with Newsradio WWJ and WKBD. Both WKBD and WWJ newsradio has a long history in Detroit. The connection might increase their ratings.

NMSA is reporting that the new theme is a custom theme...any confirmation?

EDIT: They are actually using the WCCO package...go to WBZTV.com and click on the video about Mass. health care...you can hear a part of it there.

I like WBz's new graphics, even though they are very similar to KDKA and WBBM, they have a unique touch to it. It is very European. Anyways since we mentioned WCCO, I noticed that in there promos, they have a logo with just the call-letters like WBZ. Does anyone know if WCCO is going to dump their current CBS 4 logo and replace it with the one that features the call-letters on the news like WBZ did?

They've never even adhered to the mandate. The only way they do is in the logo.

Even so, there are actually signs they might dump the 4 entirely. A supplemental logo used in the set and graphics is a rectangle with just "WCCO" in it.

Amen... I hate when the corporate suits make mandates, not knowing what a market is all about.

Mandates suck donkey ballz. Stations should maintain their individuality.

Are you listening, FOX/News Corp?!!!

Jeez.

Agreed, and (if I could) Karma point to the both of you.

Are you listening, NBC?

I hope NBC is listening. There is no need for a big corporation to enforce a mandate on its stations. Why NewsCorp why??? :'(

Archived