Your Christmas Wish List 2007

jdcnow

WTKR

-Get rid of the following people: Barbara Ciara, Kurt Williams, Blaine Stewart

-

Hi There.

I stumbled across this message board a few days ago... and found this thread. I read your "wish list" for WTKR and was a bit taken aback by your comment highlighted above.

My name is Blaine Stewart. I am one of the nightside reporters at NewsChannel 3. Apparently, if it were up to the original poster, I would be unemployed. Personally, I rather enjoy having a steady job, especially my current job at WTKR. I believe I'm good at what I do. Of course, there is always room for improvement, so that's why I'm responding to this post.

The direct telephone line to my desk at WTKR is: 757-446-1359. I'd like to pick the original poster's brain. Actually, anyone is welcome to call me. Anytime. What am I doing wrong? What could I improve on? If someone is calling for me to lose my job, there must be a list of things I need help with.

I'm not posting this to be sarcastic, or a jerk, or an egomaniac. I know I am far from perfect, as a reporter and a human being. I'm just incredibly curious. What am I doing wrong? I'd love to know, so perhaps I can correct it. What is rubbing someone the wrong way, so much so, that they are calling for me to lose my job? Just wondering.

The invitation is out there. Give me a call, or send me an email. My address is blaine (dot) stewart (at) wtkr (dot) com. I'd love to hear from you.

Here's wishing everyone out there a Merry Christmas... or a happy holiday of your choice.

Best,

Blaine Stewart

WLS

-Find someway so there isn't an echo in the studio of the anchors talking (you can sometimes hear it on air, I think it is because the studio is in a big open room.)

The echo is likely caused because the anchors speak toward that curved glass thing. The sound bounces back at them.

I would also fire Sarah Hughes.

I assume you mean Sara Underwood.

My wishes are:

WFXT: Add some other anchors to the lineup other than Maria Stephanos and Mark Ockerbloom. Also, I would consider adding a 6PM newscast to compete with the other stations in the market. I would also take their moving bug and chuck it out the window. I would also want the station to go HD.

WLVI: I would add a 2-hour extension to the morning newscast on 7 and make it more conversational to keep up with the one on Fox. Also I would make some more changes to differentiate the 10pm newscast from 7's 4, 4:30, 5, 5:30, 6, and 11 newscasts. Also I would add some new syndicated programming.

WSBK: I would take the CW affiliation from WLVI and put it on here, and move the TV38 news to 10, while adding a morning newscast to compete with Fox.

WRC: Can whoever thought it was a good idea to axe a crapload of people. Get your ratings out of the hole. Get rid of Barbara "Babbles" Harrison and Pat Lawson Muse. These people can't read and can't talk.

WJLA: Steal the rest of the good people away from 4 and 9. Get a Dual-Pol Doppler (just for fun). Start a 10pm newscast on WDCW and take on 5.

WUSA: Turn the power off for a couple nights....it MIGHT just help with the ratings, but I doubt it. (Seriously, WUSA is DC's WTKR).

WTTG: Stop trying to be Fox News Channel. It's annoying as hell. Just report the damned news. Also, someone please get rid of Will Thomas.

WTKR

-

Hi There.

I stumbled across this message board a few days ago... and found this thread. I read your "wish list" for WTKR and was a bit taken aback by your comment highlighted above.

My name is Blaine Stewart. I am one of the nightside reporters at NewsChannel 3. Apparently, if it were up to the original poster, I would be unemployed. Personally, I rather enjoy having a steady job, especially my current job at WTKR. I believe I'm good at what I do. Of course, there is always room for improvement, so that's why I'm responding to this post.

The direct telephone line to my desk at WTKR is: 757-446-1359. I'd like to pick the original poster's brain. Actually, anyone is welcome to call me. Anytime. What am I doing wrong? What could I improve on? If someone is calling for me to lose my job, there must be a list of things I need help with.

I'm not posting this to be sarcastic, or a jerk, or an egomaniac. I know I am far from perfect, as a reporter and a human being. I'm just incredibly curious. What am I doing wrong? I'd love to know, so perhaps I can correct it. What is rubbing someone the wrong way, so much so, that they are calling for me to lose my job? Just wondering.

The invitation is out there. Give me a call, or send me an email. My address is blaine (dot) stewart (at) wtkr (dot) com. I'd love to hear from you.

Here's wishing everyone out there a Merry Christmas... or a happy holiday of your choice.

Best,

Blaine Stewart

Now you've done it, Ntropolis.

XETV- To lose the FOX affiliation, their product stinks.

KNSD- Go HD, get new music, get a new set and better gfx.

KFMB- Get new graphics, get an HD chopper, and fix up their HD set (it's too dark).

KUSI- To get the FOX affiliation, that way they will be forced to fix their on-air product (new set, gfx, music). Hire Kathleen Bade to replace the departed Kimberly Hunt and get rid of the morning team of Dan Plante and Bridget Naso (too painful to watch). Bring back Michael Tuck, because Paul Bloom is a little boring (pairing Mike with Kathleen Bade, would make a nice combo).

KGTV- Go HD, get rid of Kerstin Lindquist (can't stand her), Get rid of the VJ's AKA "Digital Correspondents," fix their set, its too plain, and get new mic flags (when you can see the logo peeling off, then you know it's time to get new mic flags). Hopefully, KGTV will get good ratings with the team of Carol LeBeau and Kimberly Hunt (making a comeback to KGTV in January '08). Keep EWN NG2 it works well for 10NEWS.

Do you know what newscasts Kimberly Hunt will be anchoring @ channel 10?

KFMB- Get new graphics, get an HD chopper, and fix up their HD set (it's too dark).

KUSI- To get the FOX affiliation, that way they will be forced to fix their on-air product (new set, gfx, music). Hire Kathleen Bade to replace the departed Kimberly Hunt and get rid of the morning team of Dan Plante and Bridget Naso (too painful to watch). Bring back Michael Tuck, because Paul Bloom is a little boring (pairing Mike with Kathleen Bade, would make a nice combo).

KGTV- Go HD, get rid of Kerstin Lindquist (can't stand her), Get rid of the VJ's AKA "Digital Correspondents," fix their set, its too plain, and get new mic flags (when you can see the logo peeling off, then you know it's time to get new mic flags). Hopefully, KGTV will get good ratings with the team of Carol LeBeau and Kimberly Hunt (making a comeback to KGTV in January '08). Keep EWN NG2 it works well for 10NEWS.

From what I have read, Kimberly will be paired with Carol at 5 and 11 and with Steve at 5:30.

From what I have read, Kimberly will be paired with Carol at 5 and 11 and with Steve at 5:30.

Wow, that is definitely mind blowing. I think they should do something else with Steve Atkinson. And Hal will continue to solo the 6:30 newcast I'm assuming?

Wow, that is definitely mind blowing. I think they should do something else with Steve Atkinson. And Hal will continue to solo the 6:30 newcast I'm assuming?

Most likely, I'm not sure if Kimberly will anchor at 6:30 as well or if it will be Carol LeBeau or maybe Hal continues solo. But this is a sign that Hal will not be at KGTV much longer. Now only if KUSI would hire Kathleen Bade, then we would all be happy campers ::o

Most likely, I'm not sure if Kimberly will anchor at 6:30 as well or if it will be Carol LeBeau or maybe Hal continues solo. But this is a sign that Hal will not be at KGTV much longer. Now only if KUSI would hire Kathleen Bade, then we would all be happy campers ::o

I read that KUSI has no plans of hiring Kathleen Bade and that Kelly Ryan is Kimberly Hunt's replacement. KUSI has hired Tom Jordan to replace Kelly Ryan on the weekend.

My wishlist:

All the affiliate/MSO cable HD retransmission battles are settled. CBS HD has been off Charter (granted, not a quality MSO either) for 50 weeks now. During that time, they made a deal with Sincrap. Belo indicates Charter is not interested in negotiating.

NFL Network gets broad carriage somewhere on cable. Both sides are greedy. Like the retransmission deal, the only loser here is the viewer.

• 2 months later...
WTKR

Hi There.

Best,

Blaine Stewart

Apologies for bumping an incredibly old thread, but I was looking through the threads "Your Christmas Wish List 2007" and "2008 Predictions" to see how many wishes/predictions have been correctly guessed up to now. It's interesting to see how some predictions were not that far off and it's only the end of March. For example, XETV losing the FOX affiliation.

It got me remembering... I wonder if Ntropolis ever got back to that WTKR reporter who called him out on his wish?

Apologies for bumping an incredibly old thread, but I was looking through the threads "Your Christmas Wish List 2007" and "2008 Predictions" to see how many wishes/predictions have been correctly guessed up to now. It's interesting to see how some predictions were not that far off and it's only the end of March. For example, XETV losing the FOX affiliation.

It got me remembering... I wonder if Ntropolis ever got back to that WTKR reporter who called him out on his wish?

I did email Blaine back, he replied and was very cool about it, really nice. I learned my lesson, not something I really want to "wish" for :D Live and learn.

I just saw this thread... obviously I'm late... but I figured I'd put in my Christmas list for 2009.

FOX61 - For the morning show, I never would've hired Logan Byrnes again. I'd try and grab someone from another market (maybe Mark Zinni from WPRI?). Rachel would 'co-host' the program, and Rebecca Stewert would be the news reader. I wouldn't touch the 10pm news. Content-wise, the 10pm news is the best newscast in the state. But I would give the whole station a new look (music, set, and graphics that didn't look like they were from '96).

WTNH - I'd actually cover Connecticut, and not just the shoreline. I understand they're based in New Haven, but they need to get more resources (ie; hire more photogs) to actually cover northern CT. A chopper can only do so much. I'd probably staff their Hartford newsroom with more than ONE reporter who has to cover that entire section of the state. They won't be able to gain any new viewers if they just cover New Haven (do they NOT realize that!?). And I'd ditch the set.

WFSB - Regarding their overall look (set, graphics, music) -- the best in the market. Content wise, they suck. Production wise, they suck. I'd fire Dennis House and Kara Sundlun (who happen to be married) because Dennis is just too cocky, and Kara has turned into the most annoying person in the world on Better CT (she's lost all creditability and dignity). I'd get rid of their morning team, minus Haney, because he's the only reason people watch the station. I'd bring in an anchor from another market to replace Dennis. They have no good, in-house candidates. Eric Parker would be moved to weekend anchoring in addition to general assignment/i-team reporting.

WVIT - They have a new building (and new ownership) coming, so it's safe to assume they'll be getting a new look. But I wouldn't change a thing. They *should* be #1, ratings-wise, because their newscasts are top-notch.

• 5 months later...

Archived