Eyewitness News this morning christmas day

justin2kx

From the Daily News

Ritter welcomes holiday role

In what has become a tradition as much as fruitcake and wreaths, WABC/Ch. 7 anchor Bill Ritter will work the station's morning, noon and 11 p.m. newscasts on Christmas Day.

Once again, during the morning broadcast, which he'll do with Lauren Glassberg (who's pulling an ironwoman work schedule through the holiday), Ritter will read viewer letters sent to [email protected]. Those letters are usually moving and about family members.

"It gets emotional, and it's tough," Ritter said, adding he got 300 notes last year.

The reading of e-mails started in 2001, when the city was still raw from terrorism, and he talked about losing his mother during the 1988-89 holidays.

"It's 'I'm missing my parents,' 'I'm missing my child who died,'" he said of the letters. "That has stayed remarkably the same [year to year]. My only regret is we don't have time to read every letter we get."

And viewers, remember that, too. This week he got a note from someone saying he hadn't read their e-mail last year.

"People at the station say you're nuts for giving out your e-mail address," Ritter said. "I say, I come into people's living rooms and bedrooms at night, why not give something of myself?"

Anyone plans to watch or even send an email to shoutout or just get recognition? Vlad, did you send an email last year? What about this year?

You know, I did send an e-mail last year, but it wasn't read, so its understandable because it would be impossible to go through all of those e-mails in a single newscast. This year, I did not send anything, but it is a great way for viewers to get interactive during a broadcast. They look for the more emotional e-mails and the ones that were well written and have meaning to them. I saw the morning broadcast, I always watch the Christmas Broadcast, there were some emotional letters read. They will read a couple during every broadcast today.

You know, I did send an e-mail last year, but it wasn't read, so its understandable because it would be impossible to go through all of those e-mails in a single newscast. This year, I did not send anything, but it is a great way for viewers to get interactive during a broadcast. They look for the more emotional e-mails and the ones that were well written and have meaning to them. I saw the morning broadcast, I always watch the Christmas Broadcast, there were some emotional letters read. They will read a couple during every broadcast today.

I sent one this year for the first time and it was actually read. Lauren read mine in the 5:30 half hour.

what's was the message? I taped only the email messages after I DVR'd the show. My favorite message came from a woman who emailed her christmas wish to kick the husband out of the house. Poor man, wherever he is. :p

I didn't think they'd read that over the air, lol.

Archived