Advertising in Newscasts

Mario500

On Christmas Eve, I noticed a new form of advertising during WALA's evening newscast: on-screen banners. During a weather report, a banner for an unidentified automobile dealership appeared at the bottom of the screen during the 7-day forecast before disappearing. One of the words appeared to be "Daphne", as in Daphne, Alabama, but after looking again it was the automobile brand nearly unreadable due to my TV set. The same banner has also appeared with a weather map.

I was not expecting this trend at Christmastime.

Back when WLNE was owned by Free-Crap (Freedom Communications) they used to mention Belise Auto when they started the weathercast but now they just show it at the beginning and don't mention it at all they would also show it the whole time during the weathercast. Thank god Freedom doesn't own them anymore.

P.s. Alison Alexander formerly of WOIO-TV is going to be WLNE-TV 4PM (To launch Jan 11), 6PM, and 11PM anchor as of Jan 1st.

At my station we call those "Whoreouts" of the news. Internal advertising for us started with a sponsor of our weathercam which requires us every newscast to breifly display their logo on the weathercam and we must mention "...let's take a look outside with Weathercam 16 brought to you by the (sponsor)" It's the same sponsor all the time.

Then we started adding a banner ocassionally to our 5 day forecast.

Plus, our weather radar was purchased with the assistance of a local hospital called "Freeman" so they actually have a permanent logo on our news set in place of a normal computer monitor, and a logo on the radar, and on one of our production vehicles, and on our live truck and during regular weather and severe weather it's known as "the Freeman First Alert Doppler". Plus we have a Viewers Club card sponsored by a dealership so we must always call it the "Fletcher Auto Group Viewers Club Card." So internal advertising is something that small markets do to survive, and from my experience, it's rare to see a larger market doing it. Our newsticker as well always has a sponsor logo on it - it rotates through logos during the show.

WTWO does this with their weather graphics, at the top right it says shows a Cricket Box Furniture logo, and then they have the Sycamore Auto Group Tower Cam. WTHI does this with their Tower Cam.

Doesn't WGN have an ad on it's 7day forecast down in the bottom left, i think it's Feldco or something.

KFC or Carls Jr. (they trade off during the week) sponsors XETV's Sports Segments...They would finish a story and pan from the control room on the side of the studio with a blur shot and a logo of KFC or the Carl's Jr Logo and it would be the KFC or Carl's Jr. guy talking and then back to the desk. During the summer when Carls Jr. had the, "Like Flat buns?" Campaign, it always made the news desk laugh before starting sports.

on KNSD, its either the Nissan or Toyota Sports Ticker and Lennar during the Weather Plus Segments

Gee, I remember when we had a little cardboard Texaco sign that sat right on the anchor desk - and was visible during most shots.

And as a kid (about ten or fifteen years previous) I remember John Daly with the Camel News Caravan which was only a 15 minute newscast. I think it was followed by Kukla, Fran and Ollie, a puppet show.

Geez I sound like an old fart.

Yeah. This isn't new - it goes back a little farther than one would think.

In addition to CAU, WPVI has a small sponsor logo during their traffic reports - now it's a local car dealer, but I've seen Sunoco and Lukoil on there before. When WPSG was doing the KYW Newsradio morning news, they always had a small logo.

Generally, if tastefully done, it's ok.

Back in the early days of TV entire news programs were single sponsored...as were many entertainment programs (The Flintstones was originally sponsored exclusively by Winston cigarettes...the Texaco Star Theatre was a ratings juggernaut...Edward R .Murrow's entertainment-oriented interview program was sponsored by Kent cigarettes...as well as the aforementioned Camel News Caravan).

A few years back, WFIE-Evansville put their 30-minute 50th anniversary show online and back in the early days of "14 Newslens," it was sponsored by Hesmer Mayonnaise. Later, the advertising was expanded and the "news" was sponsored by Coca-Cola, with a placard in front of the news anchor while sports and weather were sponsored by other companies (I think Hesmer kept sponsoring the weather segment).

Once newspaper media ethics were carried over to television, the single sponsorships vanished (as did the associated on-set logos) but recently advertising creep has started once again in this "segmented" form. I blame that squarly on CNN which for years had their "News from Medicine" segments sponsored by Tylenol.

WAVY News is brought to you by The Bank of Virginia! http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=7112185

Now, WAVY's closed captioning is always brought to you by Bruce's Super Body Shops (where you're the customer, not the insurance company!) and WVEC's closed captioning is sponsored by Dodge. All the stations have sponsors for the newscasts they run 5-sec spots for.

It's all over the Gulf Coast.....

WTVY used to to do this (they may still do) on their Tonight, Tomorrow and 5 day weather graphics...all with their own sponsor logos on them.

WJHG's doppler is sponsored by a certain dealership in Panama City that buys WAY too much advertising....and it looks like their WX graphics are built to hold a sponsor.

Even their weather alert ticker is sponsored!

WMBB's doppler is sponsored, and they run a weather ticker with the SAME dealership that buys WJHG's doppler. Like WJHG, their weather ticker is also sponsored.

WEAR constantly runs General Motors snipes in their news tickers.

WKRG's skycams are sponsored by different people & a local power co-op sponsors their doppler.

I believe WALA also has sponsors for the AL-DOT cams, but I may be wrong on this.

WPMI's towercams are sponsored.

What I wonder is how much of this is actual advertising and how much is really "added value" stuff account execs throw in just to benefit their own clients.

It happens more often than you think.

I got a better look at this on-screen banner WALA used during a 7-day forecast this morning and it announces that the automobile dealership on the "Eastern Shore (including Daphne, Alabama)" is "now open". It just seems out of place during a weather report.

WAVY News is brought to you by The Bank of Virginia! http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=7112185

Now, WAVY's closed captioning is always brought to you by Bruce's Super Body Shops (where you're the customer, not the insurance company!) and WVEC's closed captioning is sponsored by Dodge. All the stations have sponsors for the newscasts they run 5-sec spots for.

all of the stations here in the metroplx ( except for, i think TXA 21 & CW 33) have their closed captioning sponsored by somebody

San Antonio

Worldwide Pest Control (locally owned and operated since 1985!) sponsors all the stations' closed captioning.

KABB's sports ticker is sponsered by Sonic Drive In.

KENS weather ticker is sponsered by Mrs. Bairds Bread (Texas Born, Texas Bread)

KABB's morning ticker is sponsered by Dodge.

There may be more but this is all I can think of right now.

I hate hate HATE advertisements in newscasts. It looks cheap and undermines the air of professionality that these stations put out.

As previously stated in this thread, newscasts have been sponsored since the early days. You can't avoid it... advertising is essential, TV stations need it to keep going- it's how they make their money. However, when every little element of your newscast is sponsored it's overkill...

On Christmas Eve, I noticed a new form of advertising during WALA's evening newscast: on-screen banners. During a weather report, a banner for an unidentified automobile dealership appeared at the bottom of the screen during the 7-day forecast before disappearing. One of the words appeared to be "Daphne", as in Daphne, Alabama, but after looking again it was the automobile brand nearly unreadable due to my TV set. The same banner has also appeared with a weather map.

I was not expecting this trend at Christmastime.

I just saw it for myself...it POPS UP right in the middle of the weathercast on the lower part of the screen!

I find it annoying, tacky and distractive.

Archived