My Review Of WABC

ABC7 Los Angeles

I just got back from a vacation which put me in DMA #1. The whole time I watched WABC and I just have to say I wasn't very impressed. It got to the point sometimes where I just wanted to turn off the tv. I think the problem is with the anchors, they were just not as upbeat as the ones here in LA. For example, while Liz Cho is reading the prompter, it looks like she does not want to be there at all. Also, the graphics didn't help either because they looked like something from the 90's. That's just my two cents on what I think of the #1 station in the country. As I time allows, I'll add more to my review.

Take Care,

ABC7 Los Angeles

How dare you say something bad about Ch.7 and especially about Liz Cho & Bill Ritter. LA is just hype and fluffy crap on the news. I can throw Bill, Liz, Lee & Scott vs Marc, Michelle, Dallas and Rob, and WABC will win over the KABC team. That's one thing I hate about west coasters, they believe that the East Coast stations should be as fluffy hyped as their local news. BTW, I recommend you to watch WCBS and compare their A-Team with KCBS.

I can't wait til the cult attacks you for saying something bad about Liz Cho, whom we all know by now is every WABC fan's dream to nail.

The same goes for if you say something bad about Ron Paul on YouTube.

I'm not a big fan of WABC either. I wish WABC was somewhat like sister station here in Chicago, WLS.

OK, it's been 9 months since I've been to NY for the first time. My opinion on "The News Leader" - OK, their graphics are played out [the big-ass text], and their music is getting a little old [8-9 years or something], but they're dedicated. Even though it doesn't sound are focused. Or at least they try. I mean, they ARE right in some form. NY is gritty, LA is glamour. [Then again, I haven't visited LA, so what do I know? :-P] Let's just put in this way. What WABC lacks in looks, they make up for in coverage. And besides, they have Charlie Van Dyke V/O-ing the opens, so there's something to work with. :(

How dare you say something bad about Ch.7 and especially about Liz Cho & Bill Ritter. LA is just hype and fluffy crap on the news. I can throw Bill, Liz, Lee & Scott vs Marc, Michelle, Dallas and Rob, and WABC will win over the KABC team. That's one thing I hate about west coasters, they believe that the East Coast stations should be as fluffy hyped as their local news. BTW, I recommend you to watch WCBS and compare their A-Team with KCBS.

You are absolutely dead on about comparing NYC to LA!

LA News, since the conglomeration of mass media and the death of Jerry Dunphy, has gone downward for years. I would say that LA's newscasts are not necessarily fluffy (though this is the key thing in the AM shows), but very tabloid and "blood-and-guts" in style, considering the frequent hype about minor breaking news, celebrity gossip, car chases, and other news stories that lack any newsworthiness.

As far as KABC goes, there have been many changes since the Disney merger with ABC. First off, the staff Editiorials and Commentaries were dropped, serious news and community affairs (such as Politics and Education) have been down-graded considerably, and news reports have been cut down to about two minutes a piece. There is now stronger emphasis in car-chases, violent crimes and disputes, celebrity gossip, and of course, the occasional promo.

Some argue, this is to cater to the "short-attention-span" market, but many, such as former anchor John Beard (according to his website) would say that these are things that are consultant-driven and designed to bring in the bucks, and anything that will put viewers to sleep just won't.

Sensationalism is what the consultants and creative services/PR people use to make news what it is, and this is something that has been going on in LA for a long time.

Comparing WCBS to KCBS...well they both stink, but KCBS has been known for many screwball tactics when it comes to presenting the news. In particular, when John Lippman was ND in the early 90's and the Action News format kicked in. He was soon fired.

By the way, have you tried to compare GDNY to GDLA....This would make for interesting debate.

By the way, have you tried to compare GDNY to GDLA....This would make for interesting debate.

GDLA for me is a joke. I can't even believe some of the promos they run.

This thread to me is turning into a debate for which DMA is better. Of course people in their DMA are going to be bias about it. I may not be right but as long as KABC tells me what's going on in Souther California, it's fine with me.

GDLA for me is a joke. I can't even believe some of the promos they run.

This thread to me is turning into a debate for which DMA is better. Of course people in their DMA are going to be bias about it. I may not be right but as long as KABC tells me what's going on in Souther California, it's fine with me.

Agreed.

As for the person who said LA news is tabloidish and blood and guts, I feel that the Miami/South Florida DMA holds that title, though Los Angeles isn't far behind.

Don't forget WLS. It can give KABC and WABC a run for their money also.

The same goes for if you say something bad about Ron Paul on YouTube.

That's because most of the stuff said on there is plain ridiculous or unfounded.

And this is something everybody but the most religious fans of WABC already know....is that WABC sucks. I can't wait til the cult attacks you for saying something bad about Liz Cho, whom we all know by now is every WABC fan's dream to nail.

I can't stand WABC and wouldn't mind nailing Liz Cho.

Agreed.

As for the person who said LA news is tabloidish and blood and guts, I feel that the Miami/South Florida DMA holds that title, though Los Angeles isn't far behind.

Don't forget WLS. It can give KABC and WABC a run for their money also.

or KGO

The eagle has landed...

And this is something everybody but the most religious fans of WABC already know....is that WABC sucks. I can't wait til the cult attacks you for saying something bad about Liz Cho, whom we all know by now is every WABC fan's dream to nail. :rolleyes:

I'm a fan of WABC (as you can tell by my user name) but I'll be the first one to say, hands down, WABC's graphics and overall presentation stinks compared to some other local stations and especially compared to WLS, KABC and KGO. Graphics are ugly, the HD opens were rushed and look unprofessional, and things are inconsistent.

I will say, though, that WABC beats the other stations in town where it matters most -- and that's in reporting and actual news coverage. Sure they pull some of the same sweeps stunts and hype things up like other stations but, overall, if you're an average viewer and looking for solid information on NYC and how world and national events are affecting the tri-state area, then WABC is the best option.

Now if you want to put reporting plus presentation together in the contest, then I would say WLS easily beats WABC. Don't know too much about KGO. As for KABC -- presentation is nice, but the reporting and news coverage is awful.

Give people what they need to know, not what they want.

Archived