Today in New York

j.wer

When Carol Jenkins was promoted from weekends to co-anchor of News 4 New York at 6 (circa 1992-1993), NBC Sports' Gayle Gardner co-anchored weekends of News 4 New York until Jenkins' replacement was namedl.

CBS NEWS's John Roberts filled the gap at WCBS-TV's Channel 2 News (1994-1995) between Ernie Anastos's departure and John Johnson's arrival.

Did anyone catch Ricahrd Huff's article in the Daily News today about Today in NY? He thinks that the chemistry between Rob Morrison and Darlene Rodriguez is simply not there and that WNBC needs to breath some life into the morning newscast.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2008/01/11/2008-01-11_ch_4_news_needs_giant_blast_of_fresh_air-5.html

Interesting that tonight I see Rob Morrison is filling in for Chuck Scarborough. I don't know if he did this any other night this week but I wonder if the station is checking him out to see how he does at 11 as opposed to David Ushery.

Did anyone catch Ricahrd Huff's article in the Daily News today about Today in NY? He thinks that the chemistry between Rob Morrison and Darlene Rodriguez is simply not there and that WNBC needs to breath some life into the morning newscast.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2008/01/11/2008-01-11_ch_4_news_needs_giant_blast_of_fresh_air-5.html

Interesting that tonight I see Rob Morrison is filling in for Chuck Scarborough. I don't know if he did this any other night this week but I wonder if the station is checking him out to see how he does at 11 as opposed to David Ushery.

-- WNBC missed the opportunity to hire steve bartlestein on today in ny and pair him with pat battle who is great at the news and friendly banter as well.that would have been a perfect team. Take a lesson from channel 7. have pat battle weekday co anchor today in new with several staffers and freelancers, whoevers works out best after a couple months trial, hire them as her co anchor (like channel 7 did with Ken Rosato and Sade Badinera)

--Lynda baquero, Darlene Rodriquez, Michael Gargulo, Rob Morrison- have them as reporters weekend anchors. sub anchors.

--weekend pms- with 30 min broadcasts only- Have Sue and David ushery anchor 5 and 6 pm. Chuck at 7pm. Keep 11pm the same with chuck and sue.

Biggest WNBC mistake which started the downfall: Removing Jane Hanson and Michele Marsh who people new for years and liked and replaced them with younger minorities Baquero and Rodriques. However I do think Rob Morrison is better than Maurice Dubois was

--Biggest WNBC mistake which started the downfall: Removing Jane Hanson and Michele Marsh who people new for years and liked and replaced them

Agreed w/the above statement. Marsh and Hanson were staples in New York televison news. Both firsts in many ways. Equally important, they had very decent Q numbers and were liked by all.

Just to clarify,

It was Jane Hanson's idea to leave TINY. They didn't force her out.

As Bartlestein said, WCBS got to him the day WABC fired him. At the time he was too much of a liability to offer him a job. WNBC was still in second place. WCBS was risking nothing.

I don't agree with Huff 100%. Perhaps the morning team needs some lift, but they shouldn't mess with the evening teams, unless they get some big name person to join their team. Sue and Michael are building chemistry. Lynda and David do have chemistry, but their on air demeanor is much more serious. And who doesn't love Sue and Chuck?

And to comment about what a person wrote on nydailynews.com in response to Huff's article: I think we should be glad that WNBC has kept Sue and Chuck at 11pm. They are an institution. And i prefer them any day over any other plastic faces with looks but no talent, the other channels put on TV these days.

I do not this Bartelstein would have been a liability at all. He has his share of problems at channel 7 but the mornings were always #1. Even if you consider the his cancer a problem, look at Robin Roberts. She has been working throughout her cancer for the majority of the time, with some added time off. He could have been like that also.

Jane Hanson whether she left the morning on her own or was forced out, they could have put her on 5pm with Sue when Rosenfield left, or put her on at 6 with Chuck, yet they didn't want to do that which was a mistake either way.

Lynda Baquero is not a good anchor.She try's but she is no Michele Marsh or Jane Hanson. Replacing Marsh with Baquero was a terrible move.

I still think replacing Rodriquez and Morrison with Pat Battle and trying her out with rotating on air talent or freelancers for a few months to find the best fit

with chemistry would be a good option. David Ushery is good-agreed with that. Guargulo doesn't belong on weekdays.. to stiff and viewers don't even know who he is.

Another thing is the rotating anchors-pm weekend does not work with Saturday Melissa Russo and Sunday Carol Anne Ridell. Have the same team on saturday and sunday.

weekdays as of now should be:

Today in NY: Pat Battle and rotating anchors to find someone someone who would go well with her.

5-530- Sue Simmons and David Ushery

6-630- Sue Simmons and David Ushery

7-730:Chuck Scarborough

11pm: Chuck Scarborough and Sue Simmons

What I really don't understand is what does Carolyn Gussoff bring to the table. No fun at all to watch. She's so uptight that even Pat cannot loosen her up..

I'd love to see Ida Siegel get an anchoring spot, if she could fit it into she schedule.

She is a real pro.

Is it me or does Chris Cimino look like he's getting tired of the routine. The whole show when I saw it last really limped along. I hate say it but 2's morning team has more life even though individually, I can't stand watching some of them for more than a few seconds.

Hmm, first it was WCBS with its share of Shakeups now it seems that WNBC is taking the downfall, they'll rise once again though once the disputes are setted. They always have.

I've seen both Rob and Darlene anchor NYNN, and It was nice to see them in the evening. Fresh and experienced faces during the evening slot might do some good.

Caryoln Gussoff seems a little uptight if you don't watch her regularly. She has her moments were she's a little goofy. I think she might be afraid of being too goofy.

At first, I couldn't stand Michael Gargulio, just for how he went from reporting to anchoring 5pm in less than a year. Sue and Michael are slowly building a chemistry.

I don't completely agree with Richard Huff's post. I do agree that the morning can seem a bit stale, but to say new faces are needed is a bit extreme. Everyone wants new, new, new, and sometimes forget that these anchors have some long tenures at this station.

I love seeing Darlene at 11pm, I just hope one day she becomes lead anchor. Its just so refreshing seeing her. Maybe they need to keep the same faces but shift around the teams. Chuck and Sue are ok but I guess after anchoring for over 25 years they become bored. To tell you the honest truth, Chuck is just stiff, dull and lacking in energy, and Sue is just there just to collect her pay check. Sue and Chuck chemistry is not there. Richard Huff should have criticize that instead of the morning team.

Darlene is best fit for weekends or back to a reporting position. If she would want to be the lead anchor than it would be important for her to practice saying her name. It is annoying that she says "and I'm Darlene Rodriguezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz." Chris Jansing was missed this morning! As for Chris Cimino, he is a pro. I always enjoy watching him because he exudes his comfort in front of the camera, and it shows.

I love seeing Darlene at 11pm, I just hope one day she becomes lead anchor. Its just so refreshing seeing her. Maybe they need to keep the same faces but shift around the teams. Chuck and Sue are ok but I guess after anchoring for over 25 years they become bored. To tell you the honest truth, Chuck is just stiff, dull and lacking in energy, and Sue is just there just to collect her pay check. Sue and Chuck chemistry is not there. Richard Huff should have criticize that instead of the morning team.

Sue and Chuck don't have any chemistry? Come on!!! That's why they've been the only untouched lead anchors in this market since 1980, right? Please. Give me a break. And if WNBC ever makes Darlene Rodriguez lead anchor, they'll have the raings of a Nature rerun on PBS>

Archived