Diann Burns to lose one of her weeknight newscasts

sg9018

CBS 2 news anchor Diann Burns will lose one of her three weeknight newscasts in April. Diann will no longer anchor the 5pm newscasts with Rob Johnson. Starting on April 21st Anne State will come from San Diego to anchor the 5pm newscasts.

WBBM did the same thing to Antonio Mora. Now they are doing this to Diann Burns. Since her contract is set to expire in October. Do you guys think that Diann Burns will leave WBBM soon? Is WBBM slowly letting Diann go?

More is the Chicago Tribune,

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-080220burns,0,2437297.story

CBS 2 news anchor Diann Burns will lose one of her three weeknight newscasts in April. Diann will no longer anchor the 5pm newscasts with Rob Johnson. Starting on April 21st Anne State will come from San Diego to anchor the 5pm newscasts.

WBBM did the same thing to Antonio Mora. Now they are doing this to Diann Burns. Since her contract is set to expire in October. Do you guys think that Diann Burns will leave WBBM soon? Is WBBM slowly letting Diann go?

More is the Chicago Tribune,

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-080220burns,0,2437297.story

Anne State. Not the best replacement for Diann Burns. She is nice and all, but she has this annoying lisp that will drive you up the wall. She has been at KNSD since 2002 and was the anchor for KNSD's 4:30pm newscast up until about a year ago when she was demoted. Now she anchors KSWB's 10pm newscast.

I guess now we know what that first anchor opening was for.

And now we know for sure that Diann Burns is on the way out. No question about it, her turn is finally about up in Channel 2's never ending came of musical anchor chairs. You don't pay an anchor 2 mil a year and take away one of their spots unless you're thinking long-term. And with Diann's contract up in October, the writing's on the wall. Especially since this is the same drill Antonio Mora went through.

Think she'll pull out the race card again? Wouldn't that be sumthin?! And, uh-oh, Anne State is, gulp, white! And so is Rob Johnson! Someone call Jesse Jackson and, while you're at it, the Spanish Coalition for Jobs.

Sarcasm aside, Anne State? Never heared of her. I like her name :p Will she be the one to replace Diann Burns at 10? What about Mary Ann Childers?! That said, as big of a fan of Mary Ann as I am, maybe it's best she stays out of the war zone for now at least.

My guess is that they wanted to go after Anna Davlantes (WMAQ-NBC 5) when her contract ends later this year, but don't have the money it would take to lure her away. That said, Anne State sounds like a Plan B type of situation.

They're at least 2 to 3 months away from moving to their new studio/offices. Last time I walked by, there was a lot of work that needed to be done to the building overall.

Curious about Anne State? Me too! So I went searchin and came across a bunch of her reports on KNSD's website. Here's a couple of examples, in the second one there's that lisp CBS 8 HD told us about. Other than that, I'm likin' what I saw...

http://video.nbcsandiego.com/player/?id=195836

http://video.nbcsandiego.com/player/?id=220180

There's many more at nbcsandiego.com - use site search term Anne State

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine said maybe they are cutting her newscasts because the can't afford to pay her to do three anymore lol. Maybe they'll get her down to one newscast and then offer to pay her 1/3 her current salary to justify the pay cut...

At any rate, I don't see how they can keep paying her $2 million a year when she doesn't deliver the ratings to justify that kind of salary.

She is as good as gone when they move to the new facilities.

Do you think she is finally done on Chicago television? In New York, WCBS pulled veteran longtime WABC anchor Roz Abrams from the air only to have her sit out on the remainder of her contract...I guess Diann Burns should be grateful WBBM hasn't pulled her already, but for what they are paying her they probably think she'd better be doing something for that big salary.

In my opinion, they can get the same ratings or possibly better by not renewing her contract and save the $2 million a year. How she got to be known as Chicago's highest paid anchor is beyond me. I think her departure from ABC 7 really improved their newscasts. Watching ABC 7 today, it is truly astonishing that Kathy Brock and Cheryl Burton used to have to take a backseat to her.

Do you think she is finally done on Chicago television? In New York, WCBS pulled veteran longtime WABC anchor Roz Abrams from the air only to have her sit out on the remainder of her contract...I guess Diann Burns should be grateful WBBM hasn't pulled her already, but for what they are paying her they probably think she'd better be doing something for that big salary.

In my opinion, they can get the same ratings or possibly better by not renewing her contract and save the $2 million a year. How she got to be known as Chicago's highest paid anchor is beyond me. I think her departure from ABC 7 really improved their newscasts. Watching ABC 7 today, it is truly astonishing that Kathy Brock and Cheryl Burton used to have to take a backseat to her.

Either a paycut or door. As we know she won't take the paycut (WLS situation) AND she'll pull the Race Card. Yes CBS 2 will save $2 million. I think Mary Ann Childers will be 6 & 10PM anchor and Rob & Anne State at 5PM.

Either a paycut or door. As we know she won't take the paycut (WLS situation) AND she'll pull the Race Card. Yes CBS 2 will save $2 million. I think Mary Ann Childers will be 6 & 10PM anchor and Rob & Anne State at 5PM.

Amra, gosh I hope you're right about Mary Ann Childers!

Amra' date=' gosh I hope you're right about Mary Ann Childers![/quote']

I love to see when Mary Ann fills in for Diann Burns when I watch the news online. I mean Mary Ann for something was lured into CBS 2. It's either Anne State or Mary Ann Childers for the 10PM if Diann gets the axe. Or the new management can put Mai Martinez :p, seriously Mary Ann is the only one that I can see that she cuts it and has experience. On some Bash Diann articles I've seen the people seem to prefer Mary Ann, so we can hope.

• 4 weeks later...

I had no idea Diann would be gone this soon and this abruptly. Why now? If she still is under contract to them and being paid through October, why not keep her on the air a little longer? They aren't saving money yet anyway.

Maybe Rob anchoring solo for awhile will actually improve the ratings. I figured Mary Ann would step in when Diann left...so much for that theory.

Archived