Chris and Kristine: Ratings Tumble 25% at 11P

moishtcha

in defense of two good people!

This is Chris & Kristine's 2nd 11pm book together... In November they finished 2nd in the market for the 1st time in 20 years! If it was a result of thier 10pm lead in, then this latest book result should reflect that as well. CBS had 2 nights of 10pm original programming. 2 nights of Jerrico! Let's hold off on replacing these two till... maybe till they've been there a year?? Let's see what they do in May. All I can say, Ch 4 wouldn't be in state they're in if CBS2 at 5, 6, and 11 hadn't been performing the way they have the last year+!!

Love em, Like em or hate em... these two are around for a while.

Yeah, so CBS 2 News at 11 Monday-Sunday is down 26% and down 25% on weekdays... but CBS Primetime on CBS 2 is down 39% Monday-Sunday. I think it's unfair to peg the loss on Chris and Kristine.

While I understand your concerns about balance, it's important to point out that:

1. People still need their local news regardless if repeats are running.

2. WABC did well and had minimal loss, facing the same writer’s strike

3. WNBC held its ground, facing similar conditions

All I can say, Ch 4 wouldn't be in state they're in if CBS2 at 5, 6, and 11 hadn't been performing the way they have the last year+!!

While Channel 4, like any channel, faces competition in the market, we must remember that WNBC suffered from many internal problems and missteps such as:

1. Letting Judge Judy go over to the competition

2. Using an untested program with no track record in the 4pm time slot: Crosswords

3. Constant changes that are confusing and send an unclear message to viewers: 30 minute 5pm newscast, Perri Peltz consumer half hour, eliminating 5pm newscast, reinstating a 5:30pm 30 minute newscast, etc.

4. Not addressing what some describe as the lack of urgency in their news programming

While I understand your concerns about balance, it's important to point out that:

1. People still need their local news regardless if repeats are running.

2. WABC did well and had minimal loss, facing the same writer’s strike

3. WNBC held its ground, facing similar conditions

Yes but CBS 2's primetime took a bigger hit. People are more likely to watch the channel they're already watching for news than switch. Lead-ins play a huge role in news ratings.

The show that is aired prior to the newscast will probably always have a significant effect for those non-picky news watchers who prefer the shows and New York has the majority of that obviously with its large population. Anyway does anyone have the full report of New York Viewing Area's Score? Or is it posted on the main General Forum?

Yes but CBS 2's primetime took a bigger hit. People are more likely to watch the channel they're already watching for news than switch. Lead-ins play a huge role in news ratings.

While national lead-ins are a component of ratings for local news, we must be mindful that there are other components that play significant and critically important roles in getting viewers to watch a newscast. Many years ago, when ABC Network programming was in third place, WABC regularly built on the lead-in. Also, when WWOR-TV beet WNYW at 10pm many years ago, it had lower lead-ins than its counterpart and beat what many people thought was an unstoppable FOX 10pm franchise . These examples illustrate that there are many parts to ratings.

Yeah, so CBS 2 News at 11 Monday-Sunday is down 26% and down 25% on weekdays... but CBS Primetime on CBS 2 is down 39% Monday-Sunday. I think it's unfair to peg the loss on Chris and Kristine.

Agreed!

Good. Any truth to the rumors of CBS2 switching up the talent at 11pm?

There's talk of switching up the talent? It'd be unfair to change it based on this book, but then anything can happen whether or not the reason is good.

You'd think more people would turn in just to see Chris' snappy outifts!:(

Honestly, I think Lonnie's Himbo Weather is driving them down more than anything-he is SO a morning weather guy (but still half as good as John Elliot). Wouldn't everyone rather have their weather presented by Janice Huff or Lee Goldberg; I know I sure do.

I think the most interesting thing is almost ALL newscast were down from the previous year-to-year numbers.

So, it appears that all the stations lost some viewers perhaps due to the writers strike.

Anybody have numbers for NY1, News 12, RNN, etc?

I think the most interesting thing is almost ALL newscast were down from the previous year-to-year numbers.

So, it appears that all the stations lost some viewers perhaps due to the writers strike.

Anybody have numbers for NY1, News 12, RNN, etc?

The rolling trends, as opposed to the year to year trend, are even more revealing.

These are the M-F 11pm newscast movements: February 2008, November 2007

WABC 11pm Eyewtns News M-F 6.7/12 6.3/12

WCBS CBS2 News at 11 M-F 4.0/7 5.2/10

WNBC NewsChannel 4 at 11 M-F 5.0/9 4.4/8

Both WABC and WNBC showed growth on the basis of a rolling trend. Almost all newscasts were up from Nov '07 to Feb '08.

People talk about leads ins all the time and how important they are to local news. I'm sure that's true to an extent. However, I believe that some, if not most, people have a preferred newscast and will tune to that. I was watching Jericho on CBS this week (only show I watch on that network), and at 11 turned the channel to WNBC for Newschannel 4 at 11. Have not watched WCBS for news (except when its on at a restaurant or somebody's house, which is never that often) since the 1996 massacre. I grew up with Ernie Anastos, Michele Marsh and Carol Martin. These pros are real journalists, not like the clown anchor team they have there now.

People talk about leads ins all the time and how important they are to local news. I'm sure that's true to an extent. However, I believe that some, if not most, people have a preferred newscast and will tune to that. I was watching Jericho on CBS this week (only show I watch on that network), and at 11 turned the channel to WNBC for Newschannel 4 at 11. Have not watched WCBS for news (except when its on at a restaurant or somebody's house, which is never that often) since the 1996 massacre. I grew up with Ernie Anastos, Michele Marsh and Carol Martin. These pros are real journalists, not like the clown anchor team they have there now.

You are so right! If viewers trust you they will turn to their favorite news channel no matter what channel they are currently watching. Same thing I would watch a cable channel but at 11pm I would switch to Sue and Chuck. I used to watch CBS News at a11 until they came up with the clown team.

I watched too CBS 2 News @ 11PM through the Internet and now I watch News Channel 4 @ 11PM. When Peter Dunn realizes he did a stupidity, I'm returning and my family too. None of them stand the Crap/Krappy team.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived