Ch. 2 Is Done

superbad

This is the same route NY went before replacing the management.

They dumped some highly priced and seen talent. Few months later a new GM and ND.

People inside 2 are already planning the party!

That's what gets me, Ahern & Co. are gone after they move into the new building. So why did they have to go and fire Mary Ann Childers? What benefit at all can come from it? The more I think about it, the more I think Joe did it out of spite.

Mary Ann has a lot of experience in this market and as far as I know has always been favorable with viewers. I don't know why they would get rid of her now.

Does anyone know why she left Eyewitness News at 10 on ABC 7 in the 90s for CBS 2?

Why don't they just air the Entertainment Tonight/Insider hour from 6-7pm and forget local news. It would probably get higher ratings. Just air a 5pm and 10pm newscast.

Mary Ann has a lot of experience in this market and as far as I know has always been favorable with viewers. I don't know why they would get rid of her now.

Does anyone know why she left Eyewitness News at 10 on ABC 7 in the 90s for CBS 2?

Mary Ann Childers left ABC 7 back in 1994. She left when Joe Ahern, who was in charge at ABC 7 at the time, gave her the boot from the top female anchor spot for Diann Burns. Luckily for Mary Ann, it was around the same time CBS 2 had a management change and was looking for a top notch female anchor.

I can't get into many details but here's pretty much what it came down to for CBS 2 letting go of Mary Ann Childers.. It was either her or they would only have a little over than half (8 or 9) of the reporters you see today in the "Reporters" section of the bios page on cbs2chicago.com.. You have to remember too that this is a percentage %% of money $$ on staffing being eliminated, NOT being replaced with the exception of Diann Burns and Mark Malone. CBS 2 still needs to have a decent number of reporters to continue being a Market #3 news operation.

Why did they pull Diann off the air now when she still is being paid through October? This situation is different from ABC 7 and her refusing to renew her contract, so why wouldn't they leave her on a little longer or at least until Anne State arrives in a few weeks?

I assume Anne will be anchoring at 5, 6, and 10 now, unless they have someone else they are bringing in...

Why did they pull Diann off the air now when she still is being paid through October? This situation is different from ABC 7 and her refusing to renew her contract, so why wouldn't they leave her on a little longer or at least until Anne State arrives in a few weeks?

I assume Anne will be anchoring at 5, 6, and 10 now, unless they have someone else they are bringing in...

Because Diann Burns was actually told up front by management that her contract was not going to be renewed. For the past few months, it was only rumors and speculation by others that Diann Burns wasn't going to be renewed. Nobody in management actually made that call official yet until Monday.

It's standard practice with alot of companies. Typically, when management tells someone that he/she is not going to be continuing with the company or contract is not going to be renewed up front, it's usually better to pull take them off the job right away. Especially if it's a higher paid higher profile person. Sometimes, if the person being let go is a nicer person without such a big ego, management may let him/her stay on a couple days longer to say goodbye or finish his/her contract.

As for the 5, 6, and 10 PM newscasts, I think it will be Anne State for all those newscasts for the time being. Robert Feder is speculating based on "insiders" that Roseanne Tellez may get the promotion to Diann Burns old spot when she gets back from maturnity leave. Jim Williams will probably get the promotion to Randy Salerno's old spot as weekday morning anchor and Susan Carlson will probably get the promotion to weekday morning anchor with her old spot as weekday traffic anchor being eliminated and traffic reporting being shifted fully to Kris Habermehl in Chopper 2.

They should use both Anne and Roseanne on the evening newscasts and bring in another male anchor...I don't like seeing the same co-anchors do every newscast. I think that is one thing that helps ABC 7's success is that each of their newscasts has different co-anchors and viewers watch their different newscasts because they are like different shows having different hosts. I'm not sure I'd watch at 4, 5, 6, and 10 if it were the same anchors.

I wonder if Mike Puccinelli would get the weekend anchor spot if Jim Willams gets the morning spot. Mike filled in on the Saturday morning news about a week or two ago, and he is okay at anchoring. Since he filled in, I wonder if he will become a weekend anchor now. (according to lazynetjunkie's reply)

They could also bring in Vince Gerasole, Dave Savini, or Derrick Blakely (who formerly anchored at 4 before the newscast got axed) to anchor at 5, or 6, so there is a different team for each newscast, or Vince could anchor in the morning.

I think Dave Savini is a good anchor, (when he fills-in which hasn't been a lot.) and would be good at 5, in addition to his investigator role.

I wonder if Mike Puccinelli would get the weekend anchor spot if Jim Willams gets the morning spot. Mike filled in on the Saturday morning news about a week or two ago, and he is okay at anchoring. Since he filled in, I wonder if he will become a weekend anchor now. (according to lazynetjunkie's reply)

They could also bring in Vince Gerasole, Dave Savini, or Derrick Blakely (who formerly anchored at 4 before the newscast got axed) to anchor at 5, or 6, so there is a different team for each newscast, or Vince could anchor in the morning.

I think Dave Savini is a good anchor, (when he fills-in which hasn't been a lot.) and would be good at 5, in addition to his investigator role.

Please don't take this personally, but it's all crap. Channel 2 is pure crap now. We're talkin worse than David Kerley and Tracy Townsend crap. Worse than Cynthia Santana crap. It's such a shame too cuz only several months ago, I had real hope for the station and things seemed headed in the right direction. U wanna know what my dream Channel 2 line-up was? Here...

WEEKDAYS, now this is with the return of an hour-long 4pm newscast and everything

10PM

Ron Magers, Anchor

Mary Ann Childers, Anchor

Steve Baskerville, Weather

Bruce Wolf, Sports

6PM

Jim Williams, Anchor

Alita Guillen, Anchor

Howard Sudberry, Sports

5PM

Alita Guillen, Anchor

Ron Magers, Anchor

Bruce Wolf, Sports

4PM

Jay Levine, Anchor

Ed Curran, Weather

Howard Sudberry, Sports

11AM

Linda MacLennan, Anchor

Jim Williams, Anchor

Rick DiMaio, Weather

Bill Zwecker, Entertainment

4:30-7AM

Randy Salerno, Anchor

Roseanne Tellez, Anchor

Rick DiMaio, Weather

Susan Carlson, Traffic

WEEKENDS

EVENINGS

Kent Ninomiya or Jim Acosta, Anchor

Kristyn Hartman, Anchor

Don Schwenneker, Weather

Chris Boden, Sports

MORNINGS

Pamela Jones, Anchor (both Sat. & Sun.) (Have you seen Pam fill-in?!? I couldn't believe how good she was, I never woulda pegged her for an anchor but she's really teriffic)

Susan Carlson, Anchor (Sat.)

Vince Gerasole, Anchor (Sun.)

Mary Kay Kleist, Weather

But if I couldn't have all that, I woulda settled for PLAN B:

WEEKDAYS

5, 6 & 10PM

Ron Magers, Anchor

Bruce Wolf, Sports

5-7AM & 11AM

Randy Salerno, Anchor (I know, I know, just let me do this)

Roseanne Tellez, Anchor

Rick DiMaio, Weather

Susan Carlson, Traffic

WEEKENDS

EVENINGS

Jim Williams, Anchor

Alita Guillen, Anchor

Don Schwenneker, Weather

Howard Sudberry, Sports

MORNINGS (same as Plan a)

Pamela Jones, Anchor (both Sat & Sun)