February 17, 2009... Are You Ready?

Vlad

I got DirecTV (never going to cable, ever) in one room so I am good. However in June I got my DTV converter box and hooked it up to the bed room TV which is, and I kid you not, a 19" Hitachi Sold State Color TV (yeah remember when Solid State was all the rage) from 1982! Whats funny about it is that since hooking up the DTV box to it, the TV is showing the best picture ever on it since I had cable hooked up to it back in 1985! I will have to post pictures of it one day, because its hilarious to see this 26 year old TV that just won't die, showing the local channels here broadcasting their news and programing in 16:9 and seeing it on TV with knobs and the finest in 1980s faux wood finish.

just hope it does not rain with sat.

I have had a tropical storm, and squall lines move through, and I have NEVER lost the picture. Cable here on the other hand, would go out on a bright, clear, calm, sunny day here with no rhyme or reason.

I too had sat and during a hurricane, never lost signal. On a summer day with one cloud in the the sky, I would lose the signal. an yes , signal strength was tested blah blah.

rain fade is a well known devil.

• 4 weeks later...
I have had a tropical storm, and squall lines move through, and I have NEVER lost the picture. Cable here on the other hand, would go out on a bright, clear, calm, sunny day here with no rhyme or reason.

You can get sun-fade with satellite. It happens when the sun, the satellite, and your dish are in direct alignment.

WFAA will be reducing their analog power this October. Are any other stations taking these kind of steps as it gets closer to February?

The only thing happening here in New York is that most of the stations will start to broadcast digital on their analog channel on that date. There are no talks of reducing power though.. So for example instead of 7.1 which is currently WABC-DT, that will now become 7. And 7.1 will be Eyewitness News Now.

The only thing happening here in New York is that most of the stations will start to broadcast digital on their analog channel on that date. There are no talks of reducing power though.. So for example instead of 7.1 which is currently WABC-DT, that will now become 7. And 7.1 will be Eyewitness News Now.

No... they'll likely be broadcasting on channel 7 and the main channel with be 7.1 with EWN Now on 7.2.

No... they'll likely be broadcasting on channel 7 and the main channel with be 7 with EWN Now on 7.2.

Right, thats what I meant to say, lol. I meant to say "WABC-TV" as in the (Digital version of their main channel).

WABC-TV on 2/17/09:

7 - WABC-TV (Digital)

7.1 - WABC-DT (Digital Sub-Channel)

7.2 - Eyewitness News Now / Accu-Weather

WNBC-TV on 2/17/09:

4 - WNBC-TV (Digital)

4.1 - WNBC News Channel

4.2 - WNBC-DT (Digital Sub-Channel)

4.3 - NBC Weather Plus

WFAA will be reducing their analog power this October. Are any other stations taking these kind of steps as it gets closer to February?

That's what I call a great way to tick off the viewers who don't have receivers.

In St. Louis, I suspect that WRBU and KNLC are already doing that...

That's what I call a great way to tick off the viewers who don't have receivers.

In St. Louis, I suspect that WRBU and KNLC are already doing that...

WFAA has the best OTA, in my opinion, in the DFW area.

The only problem I have with digital OTA, is WFAA. They are the only station I have problems with getting a clear picture.

• 3 weeks later...
Right, thats what I meant to say, lol. I meant to say "WABC-TV" as in the (Digital version of their main channel).

WABC-TV on 2/17/09:

7 - WABC-TV (Digital)

7.1 - WABC-DT (Digital Sub-Channel)

7.2 - Eyewitness News Now / Accu-Weather

WNBC-TV on 2/17/09:

4 - WNBC-TV (Digital)

4.1 - WNBC News Channel

4.2 - WNBC-DT (Digital Sub-Channel)

4.3 - NBC Weather Plus

WNBC has a ton of sub channels. KNSD has weather and Universal Sports. I hope KNSD takes the weather bandwidth and give it back to the HD channel. 12.5 MBps a bit lacking.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived