On-air personalities who you have grown to like

PunditWannabe

Who are the anchors, reporters, weather and sports folks you first saw on-air and hated, but have found that you've grown to like? For me it's:

Jim Rosenfeld: always thought he was competent, but kind of dull and lacking personality; his time with Dana at CBS2 changed that impression.

Salley Ann Mosey: She still grates on me a bit, but she seems to have a good chemistry with Rob and Darlene in the morning.

Jim Watkins: I was less than impressed with him way back when he was at 4, but I think he does a consistently good job at 11.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some folks, but these are who presently come to mind...

Jim Rosenfield- Did not like him back in 1998-2000. I always saw him as dull and boring but with a cool demeanor. Did not like him with Roz but when he was teamed up with Dana then I started to like him.

John Elliot- I thought this guy was a goofball. After a while he grew on me. He adds a lot of energy in the morning newscast plus he calmed down.

Steve Bartelstein- For some unknown reason, I did not like him at channel 7. I didn't see the appeal in him. He remind me of "Herman Munster". Now at CBS2 I think he does a wonderful job anchoring especially with Mary Calvi.

I really didn't think much of Jim Rosenfield when he was at WNBC. Maybe he was overshadowed by Sue and Chuck. But he was great on WCBS, he became a stronger anchor, one whom you can trust when watching the news. That takes time to build with an audience. It's a shame WCBS fired him.

Arthur Chi'en. Didn't like him on NY1. His reports used to have a lot of "ummms" and "ahhhs". He's grown to be better, he seems more confident now and turned out to be a great reporter.

Jim & Dana - Two class act anchors that were demoted by the highly competitive WCBS management.

Chuck & Sue - The two most powerful anchors in NYC, period, no matter if the are first or last.

please don't kill me, but...

Chris Wragge.

I know he's not popular on the board, but comparing his newscasts from when they first put him on to where he is now, it's an improvement. I think he's been growing into the role, surprisingly.

Sade Baderinwa, When she arrived at WABC in 2003, I really didn't like her, I thought that no one would be able to replace Roz Abrams, but she proved me wrong and is doing quite a wonderful job there.

Jim Rosenfield, I think he's a common one, but I didn't like him at all at WNBC but when he moved to WCBS, he showed his true colors.

Chris Wragge, I completely disliked him for the 5PM and 11PM news. I thought they made a mistake, but he's proved me wrong. He does a fine job on the chair and has improved significantly, especially after watching a newscast from the two last night. When paired with Kristine, the chemistry is just unfathomable between the two, they are very cooperative and it turned out pretty well for WCBS.

Kristine Johnson, I thought they made the wrong choice for her too, when she's paired with Chris, they do a fine job. I really like her personality too, despite what others think, I think they are a great pair.

Jeff Smith, I never thought he was capable of handling a job in the city especially with so many viewers, but he does the job pretty nicely and makes it seem easy and gives the viewer confidence. He seems to really know his game and what the weather is all about, perhaps he has more knowledge than Sam Champion, he may be the next Sam Champion of WABC if he keeps it up.

please don't kill me, but...

Chris Wragge.

I know he's not popular on the board, but comparing his newscasts from when they first put him on to where he is now, it's an improvement. I think he's been growing into the role, surprisingly.

Amen! Great wardrobe too! Now I shall run to my DVR to catch his handsome self on The Early Show-the only one of my NYC Boys I get to see anymore! (OK, Lonnie too..but who cares...)

I moved to Long Island a few years back and immediately started surfing the local newscasts to find the source I wanted for news.

Here are my thoughts...

WCBS: (my primary station)

Jim Rosenfield--he had the "trusted newsman" look. I thought he was very stable and reliable when presenting the news. He also seemed to have the right tone/attitude/inflection with the story.

Chris Wragge--I was able to see him do a little bit of sports and was surprised that when he converted to news that he was primetime. Usually when there is a transfer to news you don't find yourself as the main anchor.

Mary Calvi--she bugs me. I cannot watch her reports or anchoring on the weekend. Her tones are over-dramatic and waaay to serious sometimes. She makes me, again, not watch the news when she's on.

Don Dahler--this guy, just does not connect with me for whatever reason.

Lou Young--of the varied reporters I've seen throughout the US, I think Young is one of the top reporters in the country. He can seemingly tackle any story and give you plenty of information.

WABC:

Honestly, can't really stand to watch their product so I don't have a fair opinion of their talent.

WNBC:

Chuck--oh, Chuck. Just because you've been doing it 30 years doesn't mean your the best. Chuck has a voice for Jazz or Blues on the radio and it doesn't keep me in-check when he does the news.

FOX 5:

Don't care for the content so no comment. Although I did like Corning at WNN but he seemed to have a personality change at FOX 5.

My9:

Eh, newsreaders.

CW11:

All flash and no show.

Spanish channels:

If I could understand what they say I might like them. But I can't.

Archived